Morrissey Still Has "Attack" Label?

Vauxhall95

I Know It's Over...
I was looking through one of the other threads and found the link to the U.S. distributor of "Years of Refusal." When you surf to their webpage, the photo of the cover of YOR has the old "Attack" label sign on the bottom right. You can see here:

http://losthighwayrecords.com/artist/releases/release.aspx?pid=1759&aid=260

I thought the "Attack" label was part of his Sanctuary deal? Does Morrissey still have any influence over releasing material from other artists on the "Attack" label?

It's just a name and logo. If no one else objects to him using it, there's no reason why he shouldn't still have it.

It's just a name and logo. If no one else objects to him using it, there's no reason why he shouldn't still have it.

I was more curious about, "Does Morrissey still have any influence over releasing material from other artists on the "Attack" label?"

I thought he released Damien Dempsey and Kristeen Young under Attack? Just wondering if his deal with Decca still allowed this?:)

I was more curious about, "Does Morrissey still have any influence over releasing material from other artists on the "Attack" label?"

I thought he released Damien Dempsey and Kristeen Young under Attack? Just wondering if his deal with Decca still allowed this?:)

He did, but I know that the DD one (Seize the Day) is long out-of-print in America, so it's not an issue. And if the KY stuff isn't out of print, it sure f***ing should be.

Doubt it. I think Sanctuary knew they were going down and were happy to throw money away on unprofitable releases. Universal appear more hard nosed, hence making him release a greatest hits before they'd release a proper album.

Doubt it. I think Sanctuary knew they were going down and were happy to throw money away on unprofitable releases. Universal appear more hard nosed, hence making him release a greatest hits before they'd release a proper album.

Agreed.:)

I thought that when he signed with Santuary the deal included the full rights to the Attack sub-label. So unless he sells it he owns it.

As far as the acts on it, there could be ties to anyone who bought the rights to Sanctuary when/if they liquidated. So if for example Warners bought publishing rights for Kristeen Young, Morrissey would release it on Warners/Attack. It is possible that he owns the full rights to all the music on Attack and he can release with anyone he wants or on his own.

Without anyone actually having access to the contract we can't do anything but speculate. But over time through re-releases or new releases on Attack we might be able to figure out some of the legalities behind it.

So, is it more a matter of financial backing, i.e. if he wants to release an artist's work under the Attack label he can, but unlike when he was signed with Sanctuary he needs to find the monies? As it seems his new label is far less supportive of his ventures. I realize his time with The Smiths and early solo period are widely accepted as his salad days, but his time spent with Sanctuary seemed to produce some wonderful results (in terms of chart position, sales, and autonomy).

I thought that when he signed with Santuary the deal included the full rights to the Attack sub-label. So unless he sells it he owns it.

As far as the acts on it, there could be ties to anyone who bought the rights to Sanctuary when/if they liquidated. So if for example Warners bought publishing rights for Kristeen Young, Morrissey would release it on Warners/Attack. It is possible that he owns the full rights to all the music on Attack and he can release with anyone he wants or on his own.

Without anyone actually having access to the contract we can't do anything but speculate. But over time through re-releases or new releases on Attack we might be able to figure out some of the legalities behind it.

Attack was Moz's vanity Music Label while he was signed to Sanctuary, as I understood it, the label was under Moz's control but it was backed financially by Sanctuary.

Sanctuary/Attack is owned by Decca/Universal, I am not surprised Moz decided to revive Attack again since he was having issues with Decca USA to release YOF in the USA.

Frankly, I don't see how Moz decided to go with Lost Hightway Records (also owned by Universal) since this Label is mainly a country label but stranger things have happened, LOL.

I just hope Moz doesn't become disenchanted with Lost Highway Records if YOF fails a decent US chart.

Back
Top Bottom