Morrissey statement on tour cancellation - true-to-you.net

Link posted by an anonymous person:

Tuesday June 10th
- true-to-you.net

Morrissey announces the close down of the present U.S. tour with "unimaginable sorrow".
On Saturday, June 7th, following the show at Boston Opera House, Morrissey collapsed and was rushed to Massachusetts General Hospital where doctors treated Morrissey for "acute fever". Difficulties had arisen on May 31st following Kristeen Young's opening set at the Miami Knight Concert Hall, after which Kristeen confessed to "a horrendous cold", the symptoms of which were passed on to Morrissey resulting in the cancellation of the next show in Atlanta.
For the good of all, Kristeen was asked to step down from the immediate upcoming shows, but instead she decided to leave the tour entirely. Morrissey and the band wish her well and hope she is now in good health.
Morrissey received medical attention in Miami, and once again in Boston, but it was not enough to shake off the virus, the recovery time for which is too lengthy to meet the final 9 shows of the tour.
Morrissey and the band are otherwise delighted and very grateful for their experiences on the U.S. tour, some shows of which they considered to be their best-ever, most notably:

1 BOSTON Opera House
2 LOS ANGELES Sports Arena
3 BEAUMONT Julie Rogers Theater
4 NASHVILLE Ryman Auditorium
5 MEMPHIS Orpheum Theater

Related press:

Related items:

Last edited by a moderator:
Her comment was deleted. Do you think it will make its way to Morrissey? If so, expect a battle.

Poor Moz.I really hope he gets better soon.I`m so happy I was able to see him in Los Angeles.It was an awesome show!!! Get well soon Moz.

"Are you aware, wherever you are - that your career has just died?"

I suggest really trying not to rush to judgement based purely on conjecture at this point. Anyone on this site has affection & admiration for the man and the sentiments of this forum will likely be felt/heard by him. I know some of us have been put far out of our way and are greatly disappointed. I am sorry for that. Some of the guesswork and statements are very mean-spirited, insensitive, unthoughtful, reckless, even cruel. I'm sure he intended on finishing the tour when he booked it. Does it really matter what exactly happened with this tour,? And will we ever really know? Consider what he has given us (and may continue to give us) through his music, writing, wit, recording, and very existence as a symbol of being courageous, different and proud & acceptance of your own uniqueness, alienation & loneliness. At this point, let us please respect this artist who has touched all of our lives dearly in a special way that no else has, and send him supportive comments and energy. Doesn't he deserve that from us, who care enough to be seeing (or wanting to see him) perform, and who read/write at this forum?...

Like previous occasions, this has been handled by Morrissey's people absolutely appallingly, from the PAWS debacle, to the volte-face on cancellation reasons, to the bogus reschedulings, the Twitter foul-up. The tours are over. One-offs now. Morrissey and his coterie have tried to micro-manage everything, and failed on everything. Do the fans deserve the truth? I'd say so.

P.

Last edited:
I feel physically ill. Too much. This is too much. I fear that I will never ever see him again. It was all going so well. Whatever it is, please get well, Morrissey.

well heres what's wrong w young's status statement: she had to produce a dr's note in the first place? if the virus hit already then what's the point of the follow up? then coincidently she has only allergies but everyone else catches a cold. moz does seem to have a compromised immune system - in such case - thanks to moz for trying although 3 times same venue is a clue to stay home - i'll buy album but never a ticket again. i retire :) first concert was 1986 kingswood theatre in toronto and last was ann arbour years of refusal with courteeners- great show! thats that. grateful to the man and his fabulous band xx rori

Like previous occasions, this has been handled by Morrissey's people absolutely appallingly, from the PAWS debacle, to the volte-face on cancellation reasons, to the bogus reschedulings. The tours are over. One-offs now. Do the fans deserve the truth? I'd say so.

P.

I really believe it isn't "his people." He has no manager right now. Even if he did, he calls the shots. Been this way for ages.

He is sick. No way you give up the amount of money and industry credibility he just did if he wasn't. The shows are selling well so he can't be pissy about that. It's depressing for a whole host of reasons:

The amount of people here who just accept it all blindly and refuse to lay any blame at his feet for overextending himself. "He has given so much to us?" What about what he has taken? What about what WE have given? When tours are cancelled, people lose out on time off of work, money in flights and hotels etc. Think of the huge amount of money we have spent on reissues.

The fact that he's once again sabotaged himself. This tour has no doubt put a bad taste in his new label's mouth. Why promote someone who can't tour and drum up record sales?

The laughable he said/she said on who got who sick nonsense.

Know what's the most depressing about this to me? It's become routine. Pitchfork had a headline to the tune of "Morrissey reschedules shows to the surprise of no one." This doesn't happen with U2, Pearl Jam, Nine Inch Nails, Tori Amos. Those were just the first four that came to mind and most of those suck.

Here's the rub though: He just doesn't care. It's tough to take I know but it's true. If he did, this wouldn't happen over and over and over.

I really believe it isn't "his people." He has no manager right now. Even if he did, he calls the shots. Been this way for ages.

He is sick. No way you give up the amount of money and industry credibility he just did if he wasn't. The shows are selling well so he can't be pissy about that. It's depressing for a whole host of reasons:

The amount of people here who just accept it all blindly and refuse to lay any blame at his feet for overextending himself. "He has given so much to us?" What about what he has taken? What about what WE have given? When tours are cancelled, people lose out on time off of work, money in flights and hotels etc. Think of the huge amount of money we have spent on reissues.

The fact that he's once again sabotaged himself. This tour has no doubt put a bad taste in his new label's mouth. Why promote someone who can't tour and drum up record sales?

The laughable he said/she said on who got who sick nonsense.

Know what's the most depressing about this to me? It's become routine. Pitchfork had a headline to the tune of "Morrissey reschedules shows to the surprise of no one." This doesn't happen with U2, Pearl Jam, Nine Inch Nails, Tori Amos. Those were just the first four that came to mind and most of those suck.

Here's the rub though: He just doesn't care. It's tough to take I know but it's true. If he did, this wouldn't happen over and over and over.

You're right, and it's no one else's fault. He's painted into a corner, so very isolated from his buying public and the world at large. The sense of entitlement has meant disaster after disaster, and the Twitter debacle - when he could, finally, have interacted with the fans - it was a mess. His is a case study in how NOT to treat your paymasters, whether it be the record companies, song publishers, music-buying public or concert goers.

Plainly he's ill, and plainly it's not a short-term issue. From a humanistic standpoint, I wish him the best - he needs to go away, have a long rest, and also a long hard think about how his own decisions have brought his career to where it is. If I were around him now, I'd be saying he needs to stop being isolationist in so many ways. It's hurt him so badly.

J.K Rowling wrote this line for Dumbledore...“It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.”

P.

If I were around him now, I'd be saying he needs to stop being isolationist in so many ways. It's hurt him so badly.

J.K Rowling wrote this line for Dumbledore...“It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.”

P.

but I don't think he has a choice though really? (to be isolated) I think it's been ingrained in his nature all his life and he's said it's one of the things he doesn't like about himself?

I just feel so bad hearing all this.I don`t think he cancelled just because he didn`t feel like singing anymore. It had to be serious.Morrissey has said in the past that he feels the most himself when he is singing live. I think some of things that people have said here is really harsh. I just want him to be ok and keep making music forever.

I'm a nurse. There is nothing to be skeptical about it. Allergies can be horrendous and miserable and much longer than 16 hours. Even if she had a cold, striking her from the tour is no guarantee that Morrissey wouldn't have fallen ill anyway. By the time she was symptomatic the entire group was already at risk. I do, however, think there is more to this story than the Morrissey group is letting on.

We have a saying in the gay community for people who have 16 hour allergy attacks: "MARY!" There's no doubt in my mind that KY was ill. My partner just went through a tremendous bout with a virus that I (lascivious whore that I am) didn't catch. Come each allergy/pollen season (or some trigger) I'm popping my pills, putting Nasonex up my nose, using Advair and sometimes using my emergency inhaler. None of that adds up to 16 hours. I'd be in anaphylactic shock otherwise, and I'd be hospitalized. That 16-hour bit is the lie that gives it away. Morrissey may have a weak immune system (as some people do) but a 16-hour allergy attack is just an odious lie. She's flat-out lying, and she's taking down the man who has given her the biggest break she'll ever get.

I've defended her many times to many people, but her lie is as obvious as... her age.

Do the fans deserve the truth? I'd say so.

P.

I don't know exactly what you mean, but this is an interesting question. "Do the fans deserve the truth?" Let's contrast that with "Does Morrissey owe the fans the truth?"
To make it simple, let's say that "the fans" means people who have bought his records for years, and supported him financially by supporting his work. He may have made some good investments but as far as I know the fans support him financially, and the majority of them care about him as a person to the extent that they know him. Do they deserve the truth?

Sure. They are not undeserving of the truth.

But does he owe us "the truth?" In my opinion, no. He owes us to honor his commitments as far as possible, but he doesn't owe us anything beyond that.

Even if he's sick why can't he just reschedule. If he cared at all he would honor the commitments. He is a troubled person. Lovely singer, great writer, but the consistency of these cancellations prove he's become something he has always adamantly despised - that is an incredible bore.

Luckily the new songs are tremendous but I'll never waste another dime on these decrypted tours.

I do sympathise with everyone who has a ticket, but at the end of the day, you will get your money back, Morrissey's health is more important than just booking a day off work and then having no plans. Hopefully it is nothing too serious, the only constructive point I have read on here is maybe he should have a greater rest between dates and cut out the physical contact with fans until the last couple of dates.

I suppose I have been quite lucky over the years in that I have only faced one cancellation out of the 22 shows I have booked, and that was one in '95 supporting Bowie, so I still saw another legend!

Very sad to read this as the momentum of debuting new songs seemed to be building. Having had pleurisy myself, I'm glad that Morrissey has put his long-term health first and not risked his lungs from damage by possibly moving on from a cold/chest infection to another bout of double-pneumonia.

best wishes
BrummieBoy

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom