Morrissey statement on HMV "Limited To One Copy Per Customer" stickers - Morrissey Official FB

Ok, we've gone up a notch:

He's 'officially' annoyed now despite any notice or attempt to market the item in a transparent, reasonable way.
Regards,
FWD.

"In our consumer culture, the Smiths new release of The Queen is Dead single was oddly racked at HMV with a sticker on the front that states:

Limited To One Copy Per Customer.

not unlike a Smoking Will Seriously Damage Your Health warning.

This sticker was not requested by the Smiths, and cannot be found on any other HMV stock, and therefore exists for The Queen is Dead only.

But why is it there?

An attempt to freeze sales is, of course, an overwhelming insult to the Smiths ... as if artistic freedom must struggle in our current culture of banality ... as if only counterfeit emotions may apply.
The Queen is Dead is also the only song currently in the UK top ten that has not been played on radio, and yet still sits at #4 on today's sales chart. Over thirty years since their death, and the Smiths are still thought too radical for the slow reader! It is evident, to me at least, that music audiences must only feel and think the very same thing at all times.

Freud: "There is no such thing as an accident."

If you are in possession of seven variable wigs, a box containing false noses, multiple-sized plastic clip-on ears, a nurse outfit, a set of stilts, a Superman cape, and a variety of oddly shaped spectacles, then we urge you to use them now and buy as many copies of The Queen is Dead at HMV as you desire.

MORRISSEY
17 June 2017."

Perhaps he could explain why it wasn't racked a year ago!?
IMHO - given the record store day response to new material , HMV are channelling the same ethos. Simple as that - no conspiracy.

40250_stickers.jpg

UPDATE June 22:
Media coverage:

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
They probably do this to a lot of different releases. I can't say anything about the playing of the song on the radio but the sticker seems like standard practice for something they consider limited or that people might buy in bulk and is most likely not a conspiracy against the smiths or the songs content or sales etc.

Not sure Moz + Facebook is the best idea. At least TTY doesn't have comments enabled. Julia where are you??

Good heavens, what doesn't annoy Morrissey...???

Nothing in particular.
Annoyance is good.
From an artistic viewpoint, that is.
Just like many other angles, like loneliness, tragedy, comedy, love?silliness, selfmockery etc.
You have to get the inspiration somewhere, somehow or from someone.
It wiil all be on the new album again.
I do miss silly Moz a bit.

in the Britain we live in the queen could shit on the cenotaph and nobody would bat an eye lid.the last thing anyone would want is a song called the queen is dead getting anywhere near number one.
I'm off to the shops does anybody want anything.

This sticker was not requested by the Smiths, and cannot be found on any other HMV stock, and therefore exists for The Queen is Dead only.

Really? were Andy and Mike asked for their views?

And guess what, if there aren't reissues of Smiths here, Smiths there, Smiths everywhere, its still possible to get a number 1 single many years after its original release

In 2017, Spiral Scratch was reissued on vinyl by Domino Records to commemorate its' 40th anniversary. On the week of February 3, the EP entered the top spot on the UK physical singles chart.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spiral_Scratch_(EP)

All of the limited edition vinyl in HMV had the 'one copy per customer' stickers on it. My local HMV sold out of the 7" picture disc yesterday and already copies are on eBay for approaching £80. I was able to purchase the last copy of the 12" but it was the 7" I really wanted. I didn't realise it was a limited edition, as it wasn't listed in the HMV Vinyl Week selection, so didn't rush to get it yesterday.

So I don't think Morrissey needs to worry, as it is likely that HMV will sell out of its allocations of the records.

Really? were Andy and Mike asked for their views?

And guess what, if there aren't reissues of Smiths here, Smiths there, Smiths everywhere, its still possible to get a number 1 single many years after its original release

In 2017, Spiral Scratch was reissued on vinyl by Domino Records to commemorate its' 40th anniversary. On the week of February 3, the EP entered the top spot on the UK physical singles chart.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spiral_Scratch_(EP)

That was the exception, I hope. :rolleyes:

Wasn't meant to be a post dissing The Smiths, jesus I saw them live a couple of times but my point is, if that you don't continually repackage past glories and do it as a a genuine one off as Buzzcocks did, then the consumer will buy it and value what they are buying.

As someone who has worked at hmv (& know loads of people who still do), this week is hmv's 'Vinyl week' where they do lots of reductions & exclusive vinyls in the run up to Fathers Day. I think (possibly mistakenly) this single has been merchandised in this promotion. Pretty much all vinyl in this promotion is labelled with 'One per customer' sticker to avoid bulk buying & then inevitably ending up on eBay (other titles include Suede's debut album, gold disc, Iggy Pops: The idiot etc). I know in 2015 hmv had 3 of Morrisseys Gold disc vinyls available & the same thing applied...all selling out.

I certainly don't think its a conspiracy to stop the sales of this item & looking at the twitter feeds of the various stores with stock of it, they seem to be actively promoting it.

Just thought id put what facts I know about this out there. SML

I work for hmv... we were first told that we couldn't mention anything about the release in case it jeapordised future releases from the artist ( this was after boz tweeted about it !!!) We had it in for a week before release and we had to "play dumb" if asked about it .
We were not specifically told to put on the "1 per person" stickers , but generally as a rule we do it with Ltd qty releases ( ie we had a ray Davies 7" release with his latest CD that had the same sticker ) .. so this was down to individual stores ( seems the majority did it) ... personally I think it's a good policy ... nobody complained about it , we sold out of the pic disc by my lunchtime and we have about 8 COPIES of the 12" left. No doubt when the new album comes out we will be forbidden to sell it.

This is so weird to me because the point of the store doing this is so that MORE people can have a chance to buy the record. Why would he not want more different people to have access to the rerelease? Like, why wouldn't he want an array of people happily picking up a copy after they get off work because they have a job and can't run down to a record store as opposed to one creepy hoarder with no life who can give him all the money instantly okay wait maybe I see why.

Today I was in Bristol giving the university a once over along with Mrs B and our eldest.
Called in at the local indie record store to check out this so called limited edition 7", 12" re-issued, re-packaged, rare as rocking horse shit Smiths release :rolleyes:.
4kin shitloads in stock :eek:.
Young Benny (who without my influence really digs The Smiths )
" Dad would you like me to get them for you, for Father's Day ? "
My reply was don't waste yer 4kin money Son :highfive:.

I could have bought the entire shop stock and listed them on EBay but couldn't be arsed because there is NO DEMAND and that is why HMV have resorted to limited availability gimmick stickers.

It's only fair to say that with all the terrible headlines lately in the UK and the lack of interest in an old Smiths record Kate Middleton must surely have a lot to answer for.

Lots of love and best wishes/kisses also to our adopted daughter Ariana Grande :bow:
Congratulations at being made an " Honorary Mancunian "

Poor Steve ! L O L :rofl:

THE SMITHS ARE DEAD !
STEVE SAID SO YEARS AGO !

DO NOT WASTE YOUR HARD EARNED MONEY KIDS.

Benny-the-British-Butcher :greatbritain::knife:
(Now back safe and well in the Shire)

How many copies does one need anyway?

Good question!
I imagine there could be a very, very wealthy collector buying it all.
Everything, fake and bootlegs too. All. Everything.
Everything and everybody has it's price.
He will need to store it in a building.
Only tantalizing problem will be how to name the building.
The Smiths building or the Morrissey building?
He will completely go mad and end his days broke, poor, lonely and insane.
Then there will be the movie about it.

They probably do this to a lot of different releases. I can't say anything about the playing of the song on the radio but the sticker seems like standard practice for something they consider limited or that people might buy in bulk and is most likely not a conspiracy against the smiths or the songs content or sales etc.

Spoiler alert!

And it's their shop so they can do whatever they like.
Every shop has to follow rules and regulations and on top of that they have to obey the views of the union. No shop in a developed world can do whatever they like but the illegal corner stores get away with everything.

But I know what you mean.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom