Morrissey statement / Lisbon, Portugal booked (Oct. 6)

Eh? I remember the first Smiths album getting a monumental level of word of mouth, and being one of the most anticipated releases in years off the back of Hand In Glove, This Charming Man, What Difference Does It Make? and their b-sides.

Zero airplay and promotion? What nonsense.

And yet, you cite zero evidence of them receiving any airplay from that time period (naturally, because they didn't get any) and use a poor excuse like "word of mouth" to try and make your non-argument, as usual.

So you're wrong again, I'm afraid.

where did kristeen young's album debut on the charts?
unlike morrissey, she had a television appearance with Dave Grohl & Pap Schmear for christsakes!
foo fighters fans' comments on youtube were far crueler than any smiths fans have ever been.

Exactly. It baffles me how two consummate talents like Grohl and Smear would even entertain the idea of performing with a no-talent drag queen like Kristeen Young. Compare that kind of rub to Morrissey being snubbed after delivering an album that's his best work since V&I, and it's clear that the chart "tastemakers" clearly have no taste when it comes to great music.

I found the countries he mentions and thank interesting. All of them except for Israel are peaceful countries in general never involved in any major wars. Not many of those countries generated any chart success this time for him. Seems like they are countries that he sees as some sort of good example.

And yet, you cite zero evidence of them receiving any airplay from that time period (naturally, because they didn't get any) and use a poor excuse like "word of mouth" to try and make your non-argument, as usual.

So you're wrong again, I'm afraid.

Your level of ignorance is pretty stunning. Two Peel and two Jensen sessions before the album came out. Numerous headlining gigs through 1983. One highly regarded single plus another that reached #12 and another that hit #25. All before the first album came out. Not sure how you could be any more wrong.

Last edited:
I found the countries he mentions and thank interesting. All of them except for Israel are peaceful countries in general never involved in any major wars. Not many of those countries generated any chart success this time for him. Seems like they are countries that he sees as some sort of good example.

Peaceful: Chile, Poland, Argentina, Hungary, Romania, and Italy? Have you read history?

Now involved in wars: Italy? Argentina? Are you mad!

The level of stupidity from posters on this site never, ever ceases to amaze. God love Morrissey fans. Always good for a laugh!

Morrissey appears to take great delight in praising enemy countries of the UK just to provoke a media storm.

Argentina - Falklands/Malvinas
Israel - Occupied Palestine/human rights violations
Italy - World War 2 foes/Joe Dolce
Poland - Taking all our builders' jobs
Romania - Taking all our gypsy jobs
Chile - Bit nippy
Hungary - Bit peckish

I wouldn't call the Falklands war a real war as it was over in a tea break with argentine military throwing their weapons and running as the brits arrived. Italy was not any major player in any wars and mostly contributed to the war by appearing at the negotitation table dressed in the latest fashion.

The above post made me laugh out loud, nippy and peckish indeed. Only Israel is the odd one out of the countries Moz thanked.

I wouldn't call the Falklands war a real war as it was over in a tea break with argentine military throwing their weapons and running as the brits arrived.

The 900+ dead folks may disagree with you on that.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom