Morrissey statement 2 June 2012; Matt Walker exits band

Re: Morrissey statement 2 June 2012

Really sad to hear that Matt decided to leave.

Hopefully someone as good as Matt will get the job.

Morrissey statement 2 June 2012 - true-to-you.net

I express my very sincere thanks to all of you who attended our shows of April and May - all of which were fantastic, and often beyond belief. My gratitude, I realize, could never be enough.

Nights of bolts of lightning:

1. JAKARTA, Indonesia: Tennis Indoor (10 May)
2. SINGAPORE, Singapore City: Fort Canning Park (8 May)
3. SAN DIEGO, USA: Valley View Center (22 May)
4. TOKYO, Japan: Garden Hall (3 May)
5. SEOUL, Korea: Ax Hall (6 May)
6. KAWASAKI, Japan : Citta (21 April)
7. NAGOYA, Japan: Zepp (2 May)
8. FUKUOKA, Japan: Zepp (26 April)
9. STOCKTON, USA: Bob Hope Theater (26 May)
10. TUCSON, USA: Music Hall (23 May)

Even the most difficult night (Hiroshima, Japan) was terrific, although promotion throughout Japan was painfully zero. Oh, could it really be anything else but!
The most breathless delights were Jakarta and Singapore. Why have we been kept apart for so long? In Jakarta and in Manila we seemed to fill the whole city with belief, and we were met with enthusiastic admiration everywhere. In such places, it was encouraging to read reviews that were not written by people who were determined not to understand. (That sentence is garbled, but it makes sense to me.)
I have never in my life experienced a crowd such as that of Jakarta, who sang each song so loudly that their voices caught all of the onstage microphones and warped the sound into a mad bellow of love. Later, backstage, we were numbed by the joy that Jakarta had given us.

I fell in love anew with Japan. It hit me like a lightning thrust, and I woke each day eager for the love of it all; a civility unlike anywhere else on earth. America could never catch up, and England could never be in the race in the first place. By comparison, England is a country of condemnations, whereas America is a country of exclusions, with the obvious inequality of all. Japan has the most finely perceptive culture I have ever known, and I am thrilled to witness the emergence of broad and wide vegetarian options on all restaurant menus, as the dumb misery of eating death recedes. Record shops also continue to exist in Japan – most notably Tower Records, where we are allowed to remember the joy of 'accidental discovery'.
I apologize for having so many birthdays, but the impassioned crowd at San Diego justified the agony of another year gone. This crowd were noticeably bolder, loudly assured, and full of confidence. There was a vicious sensuality to the audience that I had never previously known. Yes, even after all these years.

Our little covered wagon has lost drummer Matt Walker, who was eager to bring his term to an end. No bargainings could persuade him to stay, and his interest drew its last breath at Stockton. Behind the kit, Matt was a greyhound unleashed, and his great work on Years of refusal will always and forever speak up in his favor. His exit is sad, but he had no wish to continue, and a branch falls away.
We are no closer to port where record label interest is concerned. I promised I would never mention this again. But I just have.
The soul is tried all over again as the jackboot of dictatorship strangles England. This week, the Queen's Diamond Jubilee presents a new lesson in the force of tyranny, and is an expression of loathing and abhorrence of the British poor - and all done, quite naturally, at the public's expense! It is degrading to anyone of intelligence. While dictatorships throughout the Middle East are gently condemned by the British government, there is no examination of the extremism enforced by the British 'royals', who remain the most overpaid and most utterly useless people on the planet. Having done nothing to earn our respect, they demand everything by return. It is a cunning and extravagant form of benefit fraud. I should mention that I am frequently asked to appear on BBC television's Question Time to air my views. But is it possible to engage with the British media and not be carved-up? I doubt it.

Meanwhile, somewhere else, far away from tabloid Britain, the moon retains its friendly silence, and the world is all before you.

In reverent spirit, keenly alive

MORRISSEY.

UPDATE June 5, 7:20AM PT:

Posted in the comments section by Matt Walker (original post):

For the last six years I have had the honor and privilege to play drums for Morrissey
He is one of the last true and uncompromising artists and will always be an inspiration.
However, for numerous reasons, the time has come for me to relinquish my post.
It has been a sincere pleasure to perform with this band before the most passionate and dedicated fans in the world - great music is nothing without an audience to love and embrace it.

I know few are fortunate enough to experience such a fantastic voyage, and I am grateful for it.

- Matt Walker

Link from MORRIZSEY, confirmation by @mwBATTERY/Twitter:

just posted a statement on morrissey-solo...not really possible to sum it all up but it's a start.
10:28 PM - 4 Jun 12 via web

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Morrissey statement 2 June 2012

http://true-to-you.net/morrissey_news_120603_01

I express my very sincere thanks to all of you who attended our shows of April and May - all of which were fantastic, and often beyond belief. My gratitude, I realize, could never be enough.

Nights of bolts of lightning:

1. JAKARTA, Indonesia: Tennis Indoor (10 May)
2. SINGAPORE, Singapore City: Fort Canning Park (8 May)
3. SAN DIEGO, USA: Valley View Center (22 May)
4. TOKYO, Japan: Garden Hall (3 May)
5. SEOUL, Korea: Ax Hall (6 May)
6. KAWASAKI, Japan : Citta (21 April)
7. NAGOYA, Japan: Zepp (2 May)
8. FUKUOKA, Japan: Zepp (26 April)
9. STOCKTON, USA: Bob Hope Theater (26 May)
10. TUCSON, USA: Music Hall (23 May)

Even the most difficult night (Hiroshima, Japan) was terrific, although promotion throughout Japan was painfully zero. Oh, could it really be anything else but!
The most breathless delights were Jakarta and Singapore. Why have we been kept apart for so long? In Jakarta and in Manila we seemed to fill the whole city with belief, and we were met with enthusiastic admiration everywhere. In such places, it was encouraging to read reviews that were not written by people who were determined not to understand. (That sentence is garbled, but it makes sense to me.)
I have never in my life experienced a crowd such as that of Jakarta, who sang each song so loudly that their voices caught all of the onstage microphones and warped the sound into a mad bellow of love. Later, backstage, we were numbed by the joy that Jakarta had given us.

I fell in love anew with Japan. It hit me like a lightning thrust, and I woke each day eager for the love of it all; a civility unlike anywhere else on earth. America could never catch up, and England could never be in the race in the first place. By comparison, England is a country of condemnations, whereas America is a country of exclusions, with the obvious inequality of all. Japan has the most finely perceptive culture I have ever known, and I am thrilled to witness the emergence of broad and wide vegetarian options on all restaurant menus, as the dumb misery of eating death recedes. Record shops also continue to exist in Japan – most notably Tower Records, where we are allowed to remember the joy of 'accidental discovery'.
I apologize for having so many birthdays, but the impassioned crowd at San Diego justified the agony of another year gone. This crowd were noticeably bolder, loudly assured, and full of confidence. There was a vicious sensuality to the audience that I had never previously known. Yes, even after all these years.

Our little covered wagon has lost drummer Matt Walker, who was eager to bring his term to an end. No bargainings could persuade him to stay, and his interest drew its last breath at Stockton. Behind the kit, Matt was a greyhound unleashed, and his great work on Years of refusal will always and forever speak up in his favor. His exit is sad, but he had no wish to continue, and a branch falls away.
We are no closer to port where record label interest is concerned. I promised I would never mention this again. But I just have.
The soul is tried all over again as the jackboot of dictatorship strangles England. This week, the Queen's Diamond Jubilee presents a new lesson in the force of tyranny, and is an expression of loathing and abhorrence of the British poor - and all done, quite naturally, at the public's expense! It is degrading to anyone of intelligence. While dictatorships throughout the Middle East are gently condemned by the British government, there is no examination of the extremism enforced by the British 'royals', who remain the most overpaid and most utterly useless people on the planet. Having done nothing to earn our respect, they demand everything by return. It is a cunning and extravagant form of benefit fraud. I should mention that I am frequently asked to appear on BBC television's Question Time to air my views. But is it possible to engage with the British media and not be carved-up? I doubt it.

Meanwhile, somewhere else, far away from tabloid Britain, the moon retains its friendly silence, and the world is all before you.

In reverent spirit, keenly alive

MORRISSEY.
:rolleyes:

Aw I liked Matt and he was an impressive and skilled drummer. Interesting to see how a new member changes the band, if indeed they do so.

Morrissey sounds in fine form! I can't say how much I wish he would appear on Question Time, it's (sadly) one of my favourite TV shows and he would just be brilliant. Although, I do understand his reasons against.

Whatever's happening, always nice to hear from him. :)

As much as I still, largely, respect Morrissey as a writer, for both lyrics and text, I have to say that this statement is one of the most embarrassingly asinine things I've ever read from him. I've seriously read tirades by trolls on this board that have more coherency than this letter. This thing just rambles all over the place and dissolves into something that borders on a borderline-bizarre rant of almost disturbing esoterica.

The guy is seriously losing his shit. This letter almost reads like one of Jack The Ripper's police missives. All over the place, unfocused, weird, unwarranted, and disturbed. His trashing of England is nothing new -though it's still sad- but his potshots at America piss me off; not because I'm particularly patriotic but because we've been good to him. REALLY good to him. This guy's an asshole. Let him retreat to f***ing Japan if he loves it so much there; they blindly worship any aspect of Western culture that they perceive to be the opposite of themselves. I mean, seriously...JAPAN, Morrissey? Really? You love Japan?!

You can tell he's pissed and hurt and bothered at Walker leaving, all the little clues are there in his text. Who knows what Walker's reasons are but hopefully he just got sick of the carnival of camp that Morrissey's career has devolved into. Let's hope the others follow suit and Morrissey is forced to confront the facts.

Where's Kewpie's kind, and mcrickson's funny, remarks? Possibly made before forum item was converted to frontpage article?

"In such places, it was encouraging to read reviews that were not written by people who were determined not to understand."
It's only hyperbole but I like it, I like it, yeah, yeah, yeah...:guitar:

Last edited by a moderator:
Aw I liked Matt and he was an impressive and skilled drummer. Interesting to see how a new member changes the band, if indeed they do so.

Morrissey sounds in fine form! I can't say how much I wish he would appear on Question Time, it's (sadly) one of my favourite TV shows and he would just be brilliant. Although, I do understand his reasons against.

Whatever's happening, always nice to hear from him. :)

He'd get pilloried on Question Time with those ridiculous views on the royals.They're about as extreme as Sooty and Sweep.

I was just wondering today when Morrissey's tour date ranking would come out, and here it is!
Jakarta, you easily earned the top spot. The video clips are already legendary footage.
Very glad to see Ebisu Hall (the final Japan date) make it to 4. We showed plenty of love.
Shambolic Stockton had something of the Live in Dallas days in it.
Will have to watch the other clips.

It was obvious just from seeing him on stage and his words that he found much to love about Japan that didn't hit him before (2002 was a chilly affair). His promise to come back at the last show was very heartfelt.

Matt Walker is an amazing drummer and is going to be missed. He really brought something to the music, especially live.

It will be interesting to see who they find to replace him for the next round of gigs, and how it compares. Sounds like Boz will have his work cut out for him in getting the new guy up to speed!

Wonder what Spike T. Smith is up to.:D

Really sad that Matt has decided to leave. I loved his work on YOR and the energy he brought to the stage, HSIN ending for example.

My first Morrissey concert was in 2006 so Matt is the first and only Morrissey drummer I've seen live.

So thank you Matt for playing such a big part in some of the best nights of my life.

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if he hadn't got fed up of having to wear nothing but a loincloth and also wear silly t shirts with slogans on (except the one he wore at Bradford last year ;) for the encore that he may / may not be sympathetic to wearing.

Wonder how long it will be before Solomon is out too.

Agreed. Live, his energy was amazing. His taiko-style drumming in Japan was very memorable and how I shall remember him. My only criticism from the beginning (and still) was his lack of a light touch when needed. But for a heavy hitter he still had finesse. Spike I always thought was more like Animal from the Muppets, though his bongo-led take on Boxers was cool.

Matt's recent tweets are few, but May 12's "things are weird and getting weirder," followed by "No more waking up in hotels for a month!" (after Stockton, before the next July date?) give a bit of insight.

Matt brought Solomon in, I assume. Wonder if S will stay on board with a new drummer.

In any case, Morrissey obviously valued his contribution a lot. While Moz is not too proud to say public goodbyes to former collaborators it's rare that he'd admit he tried to convince someone to stay, no?
I liked the "covered wagon" imagery.

Matt Walker is an amazing drummer and is going to be missed. He really brought something to the music, especially live.

It will be interesting to see who they find to replace him for the next round of gigs, and how it compares. Sounds like Boz will have his work cut out for him in getting the new guy up to speed!

Wonder what Spike T. Smith is up to.:D

Keep safe and warm Steven til we meet again. Seeing things very clearly now. Thankyou for never giving up.Yes there obviously are are some bad people on the rise.Now I get you loud and clear. At last.xxxxxxxxxx

I love this line 'the moon retains its friendly silence, and the world is all before you.' I think all in all hee is a great prose stylist and I can't wait for November and the 'BOOK'. Besides that, he is almost at pains it seems to stress how eager Matt is to leave... strange (no?) What is it with Morrissey and Drummers eh? He's had more than hot dinners...

No wonder Matt Walker has left having to appear almost naked on stage. Boz in drag and the rest virtually naked is just ridiculous and I can see the end coming very soon.

Gary day gary day gary day gary day gary day gary day gary day gary day gary day gary day gary day gary day gary day gary day gary day gary day gary day gary day gary day gary day gary day gary day gary day gary day gary day gary day gary day gary day gary day gary day gary day gary day gary day gary day gary day gary day gary day gary day gary day gary day gary day gary day gary day gary day gary day gary day gary day gary day gary day gary day gary day gary day gary day gary day gary day gary day gary day gary day gary day gary day gary day gary day gary day gary day gary day gary day gary day gary day gary day gary day gary day gary day gary day gary day

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom