Morrissey statement 2 June 2012; Matt Walker exits band

While everything is speculation, the most obvious reason for his leaving is wanting to spend more time with his family.

And yes, it looks like the tour will continue throughout the year.

No real drama here. People decide they want a "different job" that requires less travel all the time. That includes musicians!

Three young kids (IIRC) is a lot to be away from. Mikey left for similar reasons, unfortunately. And maybe Gary, too.
Boz brings the family with him and plays other gigs along the way, which is cool.

I hope whomever is recruited that the mood and groove is good all around -- for the awaiting fans of the upcoming gigs.

How about Zak Starkey, or is he busy with Noel solo?

Wonder if there will be a "tiny classified ad" (get it?) this time around. (Edit: didn't realize Don Lapre died such a grisly death -- never mind the pop culture reference)

While everything is speculation, the most obvious reason for his leaving is wanting to spend more time with his family.

No real drama here. People decide they want a "different job" that requires less travel all the time. That includes musicians!

Last edited:

I'm with this guy, though I wouldn't doubt that things got "weird." Not everyone is cut out for mystical shit which I suspect Morrissey is very used to and hardly notices anymore. I bet there's a number of things going on, but foremost family. It feels good to be home.

But what about the part where Matt says on Twitter: "things are weird and getting weirder" (while on tour)?

That doesn't sound like a *want for family* remark at all (although I realize that aspect can play into his decision).

Sounds to me it's a combination of wanting to be with his family, wanting to do his own thing, on his own time, in his own way and positively wanting OUT of Morrissey's band for unknown (to us) reasons.

Why is it so impossible to believe that things might not be so rosy when on a Morrissey tour? Things go on that we never hear about, I'm sue. Maybe it isn't a pleasurable experience. Maybe it's just a job? Maybe Moz isn't so warm and fuzzy as so many around here would like to believe. Maybe he's an aloof bastard? No one can say in any direction unless you're there.

Personally, I think Matt got tired of it. I think he felt his time in the band ran it's course and he wanted to move on. I never actually got the feeling he was going to be some stalwart permanent member. Heck, he always seemed pretty temporary to me. It just worked out schedule wise for him to go as long as he did.

I wish this would be an impetus for Morrissey to take some time and maybe go for a whole band change. Mix things up, start a new page. Take a challenge of all new people to perform with and write with and produce with. I really think that would work out great for Moz (and us, the loyal listeners/concert goers). I have to be honest, Moz has been stale the last number of years, certainly not up to the par from Quarry on backwards.

Remember: Change is good. It would be reinvigorating and exciting to see Morrissey work with a whole new group of people. It could be exactly what we Moz (and us) need.

Well, maybe if Solomon goes, they can ring up Jonny Bridgewood. Best bassist Morrissey's ever had.

"Travel East, Travel West,
After all, Home is Best"
Welcome home Morrissey and thanks for the kind thank yous for attending your shows. You give us your heart and we gladly give you ours. There really is a better world out there and you keep that dream alive for all of us. "Because we must"m&d

Let's look at the evidence, Tweets -
'No more waking up in hotels for a month!' - 27th May
'things are weird and getting weirder' - 12th May
'good feeling's gone' - 9th May
'...uh...in a speedo....' 23rd April

The tweets are kind of telling... It's a shame he's gone seems like a sound bloke.

The tweets are kind of telling... It's a shame he's gone seems like a sound bloke.

I can't really say I'll miss him exactly; he was a good drummer I guess but nothing amazing. But yeah, those tweets say it all.

Morrissey should be the drummer. :horny:

What professional musician with any self respect is going to agree to drumming half naked in front of 19000 fans at the MEN.

Sad news this. I like the Walker brothers as musicians and thought the sibling gimmick was great. Here's hoping the next drummer isn't Jewish though, for their sake.

The problem with the majority of those that you have selected is that they are without context.

Without the context, they really aren't telling. We can surmise or guess or imagine. The thing is it is easy to say they relate to the tour (barring the speedo one, which obviously is but without intonation, how do you know how he felt about it) because that is all we know about. We don''t know what else is happening in his life or surroundings and they are cryptic enough to apply to a lot of things.

As much as I still, largely, respect Morrissey as a writer, for both lyrics and text, I have to say that this statement is one of the most embarrassingly asinine things I've ever read from him. I've seriously read tirades by trolls on this board that have more coherency than this letter. This thing just rambles all over the place and dissolves into something that borders on a borderline-bizarre rant of almost disturbing esoterica.

The guy is seriously losing his shit. This letter almost reads like one of Jack The Ripper's police missives. All over the place, unfocused, weird, unwarranted, and disturbed. His trashing of England is nothing new -though it's still sad- but his potshots at America piss me off; not because I'm particularly patriotic but because we've been good to him. REALLY good to him. This guy's an asshole. Let him retreat to f***ing Japan if he loves it so much there; they blindly worship any aspect of Western culture that they perceive to be the opposite of themselves. I mean, seriously...JAPAN, Morrissey? Really? You love Japan?!

You can tell he's pissed and hurt and bothered at Walker leaving, all the little clues are there in his text. Who knows what Walker's reasons are but hopefully he just got sick of the carnival of camp that Morrissey's career has devolved into. Let's hope the others follow suit and Morrissey is forced to confront the facts.

Interesting, I thought he seemed less crazy this time around. I agree that Morrissey has grown crotchety and ill-spoken in the twilight of his career, but compared to the madness of his open letters from last year, this reads like truly great correspondence. Of course he's in a temper over losing Walker, the man was a beast of a drummer and will be difficult to replace. Morrissey's ability to alienate collaborators is unmatched even in the ego wasteland of the music industry, and I bet that losing yet another bandmate and knowing that this time, like every other time, it's completely personal hurts a lot. At least he has the courtesy here to veil the vitriol, rather than offering to slit Matt Walker's throat like he's done with certain other drummers. Maybe the throat-cutting song will be on the next record.

Doesn't this kind of insinuate on May 27th that he would be continuing the tour starting up again on July 5th? Did something happen between the 27th and yesterday?

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom