Morrissey statement 2 June 2012; Matt Walker exits band

Man I wish I could play for morrisseys band
And replace their drummer.. It would be an honor
to play for his band.. I'm sure I'll do a damn good job. :-/

Morrissey's angle on the Royals is duly noted elsewhere -

...Ardent Republican Paul Heaton of The Housemartins and The Beautiful South has often aired his feelings about the House of Windsor but the king of the anti-monarchy pop song is Mancunian Irishman Steven Patrick Morrissey. On 1986's The Queen is Dead he immortalized Buck Palace intruder, Irishman Michael Fagan, in song and also wondered whether Prince Charles longed to 'appear on the front of The Daily Mail, dressed in your mother's bridal veil.'

Moz will is unlikely to ever change his tune: "The very idea of Charles being king is laughable", he said in 2006. "You might as well say that Ronnie Corbett will be king one day. I think that would give people more pleasure."

We are amused by that one.

- http://www.rte.ie/ten/2012/0603/blog_music_1.html :D

Since both Morrissey and Michael Fagan were born and bred in England, that would seem to render their nationality British. Sorry.

The most talented man in Moz's band has just quit.

Why couldn't it have been Jesse Tobias?

Please Jesse......leave too!

Too bad he's got such a bad relationship with Spencer. He, at least, is a much better songwriter than Jesse.

Yeah I guess it was a bit redundant pointing out the pointlessness of your rant.

No more redundant than being banned from registering a username, and posting anyway because you can't take a hint.

bitch, last thing we need is another Jesse.

-Ms VGina

Unfortunately, Jesse is going to hold onto his position in Moz's band with a death-grip. There's no way he's voluntarily leaving. He'd never have it so good anywhere else. He's not good enough for another top-shelf gig. He can't afford to give up the Morrissey position (unfortunately).

He gets to play completely alternate versions of guitar parts (simply because he's no talented enough to play the songs correctly), with a heavy-handed, technique and no fineness at all. His guitar interpretations are positively lousy.There are plenty of posted videos around here of the Smiths stuff and early solo Morrissey that absolutely proves it too. You watch and can't help to just think: "What the hell is he doing?".

I won't even get into just how poor of a music writer he is. He's legendary now with how terrible he is at writing music scores.

The only way Jesse leaves is if the majority of the band quits and he thinks he may as well too, Or Moz decides to revamp the whole operation and it isn't Jesse's decision.

Assuming Moz wants to keep the hard-edged style to his live (and by extension album?) sound, who would be a good replacement?

I like Solomon's signature sound (typified on the intro to One Day...) but he ads no bounce -- dare I say "funk" -- to the sound the way Gary Day was able to. Gary was actually coming into his own on Ringleader (Pigsty's bass line in particular) IMO. Songwriting not a huge strength but the music for You Know I Couldn't Last and Mexico (co-writes with Alain and Boz) are preferred to Jesse's writing by most people, yes?

By the way, was it Morrissey who recommended Gary to play live with the Dolls in Blackpool a couple of years ago or had Gary just made his own connections from back in the days when they reformed?

Last edited:
OMG!! Thank you, Morrissey, for your salutation on Indonesian fans and placed Jakarta as the number 1 place for your tour-list. Oh, this is how we loved you, Moz, for decades we waiting you, and finally, you came and put tears in our eyes..it always be a memorable moment for us :) God bless you, and this forum, off course :p

Love
a fan from Jakarta.

Hopefully the rest of the band will follow suit. Drummers aren't that difficult to replace anyway. I've lost all respect for Boz in his silly get up.

Obviously you've never been in a band. Drummers are the hardest member to replace

This is sad - I'm going to miss Matt :( He is a very kind person. I agree with those who feel he is leaving to be closer to his family.

I think it would be cool to see Deano back. Others may not. I don't know. It's difficult to tell because I also like Jesse (which isn't the popular thing to do around here). It really hurt to see Alain and Gary leave, and I can't even imagine if Boz left. So many years, so many musicians, but Morrissey will find a suitable replacement.

Oh well. Nice letter - especially nice closing. I hope we see him back on stage soon.

i dunno if i missed something but,
without a drummer now, what´s gonna happen with the upcoming dates?
i understood Matt´s last gig was Stockton, right?

i dunno if i missed something but,
without a drummer now, what´s gonna happen with the upcoming dates?
i understood Matt´s last gig was Stockton, right?

They just play the songs without drums, duh! It sounds a bit different, but should be a nice variation, at least for the rest of the tour.

I'd be okay with Deano coming back, actually, even if it were only for the live shows. Seems Good Charlotte is on hiatus.

I realized my previous post had sort of a non sequitur about Solomon leaving. I had assumed Matt brought Solomon in after Gary's exit, but there's nothing to suggest Solomon will leave just because his brother did. Solomon and Deano could work quite well, too.

Would like to hear I Have Forgiven Jesus in the live lineup again. One of Deano's more memorable contributions.

How refreshing to hear someone / anyone speak the truth about the royals. Here in England there is wall to wall propaganda about the f***ing queen. It is Orwellian: 'You must love her. Everyone loves her. You must love her too. If you don't love her you are a freak.' Thank God to Moz for breaking through the shit. God bless you Moz.

I really enjoyed the Australian leg of the tour, thanks Moz!!

I'm actually hoping he does actually stop mentioning a record deal until he has one, he seems to think we have this image in our heads of him being turned away at the door of labels and is being hardly done by. I'm sure he could have one quick as a flash or even do it DIY with the right people but its his own fault he hasn't got one at this stage really.

Sad to see Matt Walker go, he honestly has been the best drummer he's had, edging out Spencer. He just thumps the drums so damn hard, has energy and excitement to his playing. I really hope he doesn't take too much of a backwards step with drummers now that IMO the standard has been set, a drop back to someone like Deano who sounded flat, lifeless and dull would be a terrible thing. As others said, I guess having to appear on stage one too many times in your underwear would grate on you after awhile. I mean these are musicians, people with dignity and they're plying their life's trade. The joke is funny once or twice, but then...

Here's hoping he has another good run of shows soon though. And god, please an Aust/NZ tour.

How much of Matt Walker's leaving is to do with Morrissey humiliating the band into wearing utterly idiotic t-shirt slogans, and other ridiculous outfits?

Very sad to hear about Matt Walkers departure. But after reading his tweets over the past months I can't say that I'm surprised. He seemed to have lost his... flame, so to speak. In my opinion Matt is one of the best drummers Morrissey has ever worked with, only Spencer was been sharper. Matts contributions on the past tours have been great, energetic and passionate. I will miss him greatly. There's a summer tour fast approaching. Who will fill Matts shoes? Someone we already know of? A new face? I'd love Spencer back in the band (but after reading Mozipedia I find that more than impossible). Deano would be nice return, no?

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom