Morrissey statement 2 June 2012; Matt Walker exits band

Mate, Moz hates Joyce, why the f*** will he want him back as a replacement drummer?

Plus Joyce is a boring, medicore skin basher.

I prefered Deano.

Moz hates Joyce?
Is that true? why? what's happened? I thought they were really close friends...

these are the worst posts. what's the point? we get it. the smiths were perfect, untouchable, an incredible force that burned so brightly for four years then ceased. why must everything but held against it when it's a futile point to do so? Morrissey may have gone through a few too many band members than can be considered comfortable but he has worked with some fine musicians since 1987, it's unfair to cross your arms, sit there and go "well it isn't the smiths is it?"

Life is unfair Ben, get used to it.
Thank you for qualifiyng my post by the way.
I appreciate your feedback.

these are the worst posts. what's the point? we get it. the smiths were perfect, untouchable, an incredible force that burned so brightly for four years then ceased. why must everything but held against it when it's a futile point to do so? Morrissey may have gone through a few too many band members than can be considered comfortable but he has worked with some fine musicians since 1987, it's unfair to cross your arms, sit there and go "well it isn't the smiths is it?"

porblem?

i think morrissey's writing on this subject does indeed represent personality disorders as discussed by people here.

the representation of matt leaving - again portraying himself as victim. he has this victim personality as shown in 'my life is a succession of people saying goodbye'

i think it goes back before johnny marr leaving him. remember he did things to make Stephen street, alain whyte etc leave. And dressing matt in degrading attire - would that not hasten his exit?

maybe because he feared they would go?

i think many of us can relate to how morrissey might feel - is that not why we have been fans of him? because he reflects something that most humans feel. in this case the view that most people are dishonest and not to be fully trusted?

this is real - and morrissey knows it - and most of us do.

unfortunately.. he has lost successive people who helped him be great... marr.. street.. i think losing alain was the last nail in the coffin..

boz no longer writes any music equal to morrissey.. too old? too fat? and jesse never had the talent to write any kind of worthwhile music.. matt actually wrote a couple of good tunes, didnt he?

the problem is if you keep distrusting everyone, yet surround yourself with untalented sycophants is you start believing you are unfailable.. and make very bad personal and professional choices..

so i think we all toast a glass to morrissey - he is pretty awesome - but needs to get some new songwriters/band - make a break - i think he still has a few albums to offer. lose the band. lose the victim mentality.

its hard when you're alone though. as he may be. he was described as the indie elvis - that would suck though - elvis was surrounded by some very unpleasant humans. yes morrissey has entered the old elvis stage.. and only he can dig himself out of it.

Interesting...

Stephen Street ‏@StreetStephen
See my old friend Matt Walker @mwBATTERY has left Morrissey's band. Great drummer, lovely guy, big loss for Moz.

Stephen Street ‏@StreetStephen
@mwBATTERY Hey Matt! Hope you are well. You'll be missed I'm sure from M's band. Hope it ended amicably. Best wishes to you and family.

i think morrissey's writing on this subject does indeed represent personality disorders as discussed by people here.

the representation of matt leaving - again portraying himself as victim. he has this victim personality as shown in 'my life is a succession of people saying goodbye'

i think it goes back before johnny marr leaving him. remember he did things to make Stephen street, alain whyte etc leave. And dressing matt in degrading attire - would that not hasten his exit?

maybe because he feared they would go?

i think many of us can relate to how morrissey might feel - is that not why we have been fans of him? because he reflects something that most humans feel. in this case the view that most people are dishonest and not to be fully trusted?

this is real - and morrissey knows it - and most of us do.

unfortunately.. he has lost successive people who helped him be great... marr.. street.. i think losing alain was the last nail in the coffin..

boz no longer writes any music equal to morrissey.. too old? too fat? and jesse never had the talent to write any kind of worthwhile music.. matt actually wrote a couple of good tunes, didnt he?

the problem is if you keep distrusting everyone, yet surround yourself with untalented sycophants is you start believing you are unfailable.. and make very bad personal and professional choices..

so i think we all toast a glass to morrissey - he is pretty awesome - but needs to get some new songwriters/band - make a break - i think he still has a few albums to offer. lose the band. lose the victim mentality.

its hard when you're alone though. as he may be. he was described as the indie elvis - that would suck though - elvis was surrounded by some very unpleasant humans. yes morrissey has entered the old elvis stage.. and only he can dig himself out of it.

Well said, I agree with your evaluation of Morrissey. He seems a lonely man -good for Matt that he has moved on
He seems a grounded and well - respected guy.

The self-admiring idiots who populate this site spend years obsessively attacking Morrissey's "talentless" band, then attack Morrissey when one of them leaves? Go figure.

And surely only the dullest individuals on the planet could be described as "a measured, rational fence sitter; pragmatic and mature to all who cross his path". It's certainly not a description that fits business leaders, politicians, creative artists, entrepreneurs and innovators in any walk of life.

You weren't humming along to "You Have Killed Me" when it was released, no?

It's easy to blame the band when one fails to recognise the fact that Morrissey has been writing, for the most part, substandard lyrics since the Quarry days.

I'm a little confused as to why you turned into a massive cooze on me all of the sudden, as several months back we got along pretty well on here, but whatever, it happens.

I just think it's funny and kind of telling that now that Morrissey has basically destroyed his cred in England and America, suddenly to him Japan is the best place ever. But like I said, other than being a little bored and killing time before work by responding to this, it isn't a subject that really means that much to me.

Evidence for destruction of cred in America and England?

Not a subject that interests you? Given the amount and length of posts you've contributed to this thread, I'd say you're either very interested or have an awful lot of time to kill. But hey, affecting a lack of interest is so characteristic of the hero you try to emulate. Bless.

The self-admiring idiots who populate this site spend years obsessively attacking Morrissey's "talentless" band, then attack Morrissey when one of them leaves? Go figure.

And surely only the dullest individuals on the planet could be described as "a measured, rational fence sitter; pragmatic and mature to all who cross his path". It's certainly not a description that fits business leaders, politicians, creative artists, entrepreneurs and innovators in any walk of life.
Let me help you, the posters who have lamented the loss of Matt Walker are not the same posters who have critisised the band as a whole. You see, a lot of people post here and they do not all hold the same opinion.

Last edited:
Let me help you, the posters who have lamented the loss of Matt Walker are not the same posters who have critisised the band as a whole. You see, a lot of people post here and they do all hold the same opinion.

Please take care not to generalize, Peter. If anyone is to be lamented for leaving the group, it is Matt Walker. (Boz being the unspoken and obvious standalone exception, if only for sentimental reasons.) Some prefer to believe the problem with the "band as a whole" lies with one individual who remains. I'm not going to write his name, since it causes the proverbial pissing match any time it is uttered.

Edit: Not sure if anybody has friended Dean Butterworth on any of the web social outlets, but, considering Horrible Charlotte is on hiatus, has there been any murmurs that he would be filling in for the July dates?

Last edited:
Please take care not to generalize, Peter. If anyone is to be lamented for leaving the group, it is Matt Walker. (Boz being the unspoken and obvious standalone exception, if only for sentimental reasons.) Some prefer to believe the problem with the "band as a whole" lies with one individual who remains. I'm not going to write his name, since it causes the proverbial pissing match any time it is uttered.
Jamie, just spotted a significant typo in my post. I meant to say "You see, a lot of people post here and they do not all hold the same opinion."
Christ, how friggin stupid of me, it undermines completely the lofty tone of superiority I was going for.
And, you are, ofcourse, completely right.

MW--many people here support your decision to leave the Moz camp--for whatever reasons. We wish you the best and further success in the future.

You weren't humming along to "You Have Killed Me" when it was released, no?

It's easy to blame the band when one fails to recognise the fact that Morrissey has been writing, for the most part, substandard lyrics since the Quarry days.

Very well said.

Edit: Not sure if anybody has friended Dean Butterworth on any of the web social outlets, but, considering Horrible Charlotte is on hiatus, has there been any murmurs that he would be filling in for the July dates?

Did Deano leave on good terms with the Moz camp? If so, it certainly wouldn't be surprising to see him back in the fold...even as a permanent member.

I don't recall Morrissey ever mentioning as to why Gary Day (2007) or even Mikey Farrell (2008) left the group. This is pure speculation on my part, but I assume Gary was more satisfied with playing with Alain (live, especially) than with Jesse. After all, Gary and Alain are good friends right?

I guess the bottom line to all of this stuff comes down to one simple sentence:

"Why couldn't it have been Jesse Tobias who quit the band?"

Um, do you mean Spencer cobrin spencer cobrin etc. etc.?

its madness. MW was the best drummer for many years, but obviously does not know Morrissey as well as he shoud!!!! silly t shirts, swim trunks, its a joke let the man just play. am i right in saying that morrissey PA's women left, charlie browne also and MW all within one tour? who next?

who is morrisey right hand man./women now then?

I'm a little confused as to why you turned into a massive cooze on me all of the sudden, as several months back we got along pretty well on here, but whatever, it happens.

At any rate, if you think Morrissey's statement is fine, then OK, it's fine, what the hell do I care? If you don't want to read between the lines, or look at his overall retrospective attitude toward many of the other musicians who have left him suddenly, or their assessments of him, then fine.

And hell, maybe I'm wrong. This topic doesn't really keep me up at night. I don't claim to have knowledge of why Matt left. I'm simply saying that most men forced to endure that bullshit would have no trouble explaining to me why they wanted out.

I don't really need to go to Japan to understand their concept of popular culture. I have nothing against Japan; Japan doesn't really register with me one way or the other. I just think it's funny and kind of telling that now that Morrissey has basically destroyed his cred in England and America, suddenly to him Japan is the best place ever. But like I said, other than being a little bored and killing time before work by responding to this, it isn't a subject that really means that much to me.

Awwww shucks, now you're killing me! And I thought we were pals. I just don't know how I'll survive.

All this proves is that Walker is a professional who wants to publicly go on record in a clean, mature way to close a door officially in his public and personal life. In this day and age, this is probably the best way for him to do that, as this is the fansite with the most traffic. It doesn't mean he's gonna spew all the gory details, whether or not there are any.

I do like how you changed Gaslight to Gastank...it's just like Morrissey would do. That's so cute!!!!

Eh? I don't remember us ever being "pals" on here. Are you sure you have the right person?

My issue with you is that you are essentially the archetype of the kind of "fan" that gives this place such a shitty reputation: overthinking, over-emoting, reading way too much between the lines in a vain attempt to justify the fact that Morrissey's career isn't going exactly the way you feel it should go and it bothers you.

Plus, you say some unforgivably ludicrous shit on these forums. Things like "Swords is every bit is good as Bona Drag", "Your Arsenal was poorly mixed", "The Gaslight Anthem are every bit as relevant as the Smiths, the Beatles and Nirvana", "Morrissey's last few albums have been awful", etc.

Now you're on here moaning and griping because Matt's left the band. You were bitching about how bad Morrissey is BEFORE Matt left the band. Morrissey could reform the Smiths and you'd STILL find some issue with it.

You are a whiner. An over-emphatic whiner at that. You, Death Dickso and that Valerie Vagina tart should form some sort of Ludicrous Union where your entire objective is to embarrass yourselves at So Low. You're way ahead of the curve, let me tell you.

If you don't like Morrissey or what he's doing at this stage of his career then just...don't...pay...attention to him. Simple as that.

i dont think anyone would hum to 'you have killed me' it was one of the most pedestrian backing tracks... ok it is beaten by a few others.. but its not on the humming radar

He'd get pilloried on Question Time with those ridiculous views on the royals.They're about as extreme as Sooty and Sweep.

Yeah, I agree. They maybe living off massive inheritance. But that happens to all the high class! They aren't the next dictator like Saddam.

Must admit i'm happy Walker walked. I hope the others do. Morrissey needs to go into a different direction now.

New line up hopes
Boz or new guitarist - keep it to 1
New bassist
Drum machine!!

Keep the line up small and alternative!

Last edited by a moderator:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom