Morrissey stars in KATSU's latest fake ad, spotted in New York

I spotted this phone booth advert, newly placed this weekend at the corner of East 12th Street and Avenue A in Manhattan, depicting a mid-90's era Morrissey, a scribbled graffiti tag of "Kat" and, erm, a Nike logo? I'm suspecting it's not a sincere marketing campaign and rather the work of some handy vandal who snuck it in there, given the xeroxed-quality of the paper and print. Curious if anyone else has seen them out there?

dsc00392_89326.jpg

An anonymous person also writes:

Moz becomes target for a street artist prankster. I did a WTF double-take myself.

MORRISSEY STARS IN KATSU’S LATEST FAKE AD - Animal New York​

Last edited by a moderator:
Morrissey's lawyers have by posting this as a newsitem, sued Nike

or maybe Morrissey is the one of the few new people in a commercial,
but I beg to differ

hand it over, Nike

what's KATSU?!?!?

'katsu' means win / victory in Japanese.

There are some male and female names with the word Katsu such as Katsuya, Katsumi etc.
However, I don't know this graffiti artist is actually Japanese or inspired by Japanese culture.

Last edited:
If that was in my neighborhood I'd be down there with a hacksaw and take it home with me! ;-)

My eyes lit up when I saw the picture of Moz in the city, but I was equally baffled by the graffito tag. I was hoping there was gonna be some tour dates under there. ;) haha

If that was in my neighborhood I'd be down there with a hacksaw and take it home with me! ;-)

Someone already did the grunt work for you- eBay is selling prints for cheap. Google it- Katsu Nike
If you contact them they will sell you the Morrissey.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom