Morrissey soundtracks new PETA video "Someday" by animator Anna Saunders

Re: Morrissey soundtracks new PETA advert

No time at all for PETA. People with a little learning about some matters, and an absolute lack of knowledge about the things they want to preach. My experience of them is that they haven't the first clue about what they want to do, and have fallen under Newkirk's spell. I have no time for them.

P.

For a second I thought that I might try veganism because of that video...but then I thought, Hm, better not.

Has he finally gone vegan? About damn time.

Even for Morrissey that was…depressing. I don't think I am ever going to be able to listen to Your Arsenal again without thinking of baby chickens being stolen from their mother and tortured.

That the chick had hope he'd be reunited with his mother throughout got me. :tears:

Gotta say, the song works really well for the video.

agreed, it does. It is just a bloody great song though

so is this clarification of moz's status as a vegan or ???

Morrissey Soundtracks New PETA Video, to Be Presented on His Upcoming Tour - Pitchfork
Video collaboration corresponds with Morrissey's 55th birthday

Also, and excerpt from the PETA press release:

Notoriously picky about licensing his music—even when big bucks are offered—Morrissey granted rights to his darkly emotional song "I Know It's Gonna Happen Someday" to PETA for free to use as the score for the new video, which tells the story of Nugget, a baby chick who is separated from his mother and spends his life dreaming of escaping a cruel factory farm and reuniting with her. At the video's end, Nugget finds a happy ending—but back at the factory farm, another baby chick is born, only to experience the same fate as the more than 7 billion chickens who are slaughtered in the U.S. every year.

"PETA's 'Someday' video shows us what happens every day in the meat industry: Animals are torn away from their mothers, are caged, and eventually have their throats slit," says PETA Senior Vice President Lisa Lange. "The best way for anyone to celebrate Morrissey's birthday is to go vegan—not 'someday,' but today."

The Cartoon That Broke Morrissey’s Heart - PETA.org

PETA’s new video “Someday,” brought to life by Los Angeles animator Anna Saunders, was created in honor of Morrissey’s 55th birthday. The video, which is scheduled to be featured on the rock icon’s new nationwide tour, takes viewers on a harrowing journey as they witness—through the eyes of one terrified bird—the typical experience of chickens raised for meat. Will our young chick survive what 8 billion chickens each year cannot? Watch to find out:

Last edited by a moderator:
He must have gone vegan, how could he be involved in such a video if he wasn't? Even Russel Brand is one.

Odd that the video suggests mother chickens are there as their eggs hatch when the "useless" males are killed at birth etc. That dynamic works moreso with milk production. The calves are stripped from the mother cow so we can take her milk.

Still i know, it's gonna happen....someday

Couldn't care less about Peta, but the song is perfect

No time at all for PETA. People with a little learning about some matters, and an absolute lack of knowledge about the things they want to preach. My experience of them is that they haven't the first clue about what they want to do, and have fallen under Newkirk's spell. I have no time for them.

P.

have you seen the Penn & Teller Bullshit episode about PETA?

Last edited by a moderator:
In the death-camp system that enables cheap eggs, male chicks are fed into industrial shredders once they are recognised as male. The Carnist war machine propogates Gendercide here and in other contexts such as when male calves are shot in the head if there is no torture/slaughter market for their 'useless lives'. This skilful video raises issues through anthropological tropes which explore our lack of understanding about the extent of Sentience in birds. Our limited human consciousness does not give us insight into the consciousness of other animals other than via the blunt tool of our evolving science, which is now beginning to recognise the full catrastrophe of Carnism in all areas. Or rather, can no longer provide a valid set of ruses for ignoring research evidence. Anthropological tropes in art have a powerful history of resonance, a childhood favourite of ours being "Watership Down" by Richard Adams which this beautiful video reminds us of. And of course, there's the master George Orwell:

"Animal Farm is still taught to school childen, and remains for many the entry point into the political thought processes that shape the planet. It took some talking pigs and horses to achieve that."

"Why we're all animal lovers.From Watership Down to Tarka the Otter, what is the appeal of anthropomorphic literature?"

http://www.theguardian.com/books/booksblog/2008/jun/10/whywereallanimallovers

"Are Chicks Brighter Than Babies?"

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/20/opinion/sunday/are-chicks-brighter-than-babies.html

"PETA Senior Vice President Lisa Lange. "The best way for anyone to celebrate Morrissey's birthday is to go vegan—not 'someday,' but today.""

With the imminent arrival of www.Veganz.de in the UK more options open up. However, there are also class and economic Intersectionalities to address with the issue of 'going vegan'. We spend a lot of time and money on minimising animal torture/slaughter detritus from the Carnist War Machine in our lives. But we are relatively rich and completely sovereign over our time. We have a farmer's market, allotments and decades of skill in choosing and preparing meals without animal ingredients. For those who have to put up with a X-tian sermon about fishes and loaves to get a discarded 'ready meal' at the homeless shelters in Birmingham, such a lifestyle is impossible. For the harassed, harried single-parent on minimum wage in Chelmsley Wood, it's almost impossible. For some reading this article and comments, economically and practically unrealistic due to sharing diet plans with family members and work colleagues. But that doesn't matter. Each and every meal that seeks to alleviate cruelty to other animals (humans are animals) is worthy. In the journey towards a Plant-Based Planet, the western lifestyle option of veganism cannot be allowed to become a cult. Veganism Is Not a Cult, a chic accessory for Trustafarians to adorn themselves with alongside being 'clueless consumers' on The List- it is an exploratory journey of compassion. And that compassion extends to those who can only afford the enemies food as survival rations. Even Quorn has egg in it, despite our protests and requests/pleas/demands for change. Soon there will be other options in the UK high street due to the astonishing vegan entrepreneurs of America:

http://beyondmeat.com/about/

http://www.hamptoncreek.com/

Alongside the confrontational agitprob shock-trooper blitz of footage accompanying "Meat Is Murder", a new flank is now opened up. It will be fascinating to watch audience reactions as they are taken on the roller-coaster ride from visceral gut-wrenching revulsion of actual abbatoir footage to the heart-rending invitiation to empathy which this beautiful piece of ArtPop offers. Some will be moved, some will emotionally shut down and fiddle with their i-Devices or 'go to the loo/bar' as displacement activity to avoid engagement. Our only concern remains the premature exposure of children to age-inappropriate entertainment, education and propaganda materials including the "Meat Is Murder" footage. But that is a matter for responsible parents to address themselves, or by engaging with their local licencing authorities to ensure promoters issue content warnings about the age-appropriateness of shows are clearly exhibited on advertising and tickets, and admission to venues policed. At what age does responsible parent tell their children the truth about human behaviour in sex and food? At what age do they move from "Watership Down" and "Animal Farm" to PETA? We are addressing this issue with the local authority licencing authorities in relation to the astonishing appearance of Ms Miley Cyrus in Birmingham and the stage/audience co-mingling of rugby, stripper, lap-dancing club / hen & stag / triple X orgy party dynamics whilst unsupervised children below the age of consent were in attendance. Inappropriate. Issues to resolve, etc. The same concern exists in relation to children viewing the footage of "Meat Is Murder". We hope Morrissey brings this new show to Birmingham at some stage 'going forward'. We look forward to the day when there are numerous fully vegan fast-food options for the reveller on Broad Street after a Morrissey gig at the Symphony Hall/NIA. In fact, we're working on it so that a Vegan Pizza option is visibly added to menus rather than needing discussion and explanation. Until then, do what you can do. Every amelioration of suffering is worthwhile. "Meat Is Murder", "Fowl Is Foul Play, Eggs Is Egregiously Ecocidcal" and so on and so forth. Etc.

Wealth confers privilege and options which poverty strips. We have more options here in The Shire than our friends and collaborators in Mordor. When we visit Brompton Oratory we can even consider the option of a luxury indulgence of Hare Krishna bovine and avian cruelty free meal using eggs and milk. But only as a special treat, maybe once a year on our birthdays, say. "Cow Nation" "Hen Nation" "Beyond Meat" "Hampton Creek". Do not despair, change is in the air and we know it's all going to fall into place "Someday". To conclude, here's a link to wonderful, troubled Liz Jones and an article from another "BrummieBoy" which explores all of this with astonishing skill. So, let's hand the mic over to Benjamin Zephaniah.

Happy Birthday "Morrissey"
best wishes
"BrummieBoy"

"Until the philosophy which hold one Species superior And another Inferior Is finally And permanently Discredited And abandoned - Everywhere is war - Me say WAR! And we say "World Peace Is None Of Your Business" BrummieBoy

"I'm selling the world's most expensive - and delicious - milk... to give my cows a pension"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...expensive--delicious--milk--cows-pension.html

"Abolish Your Meat Habit in 2014"

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/ben...bolish-your-meat-habit-in-2014_b_4628803.html

Last edited:
I'm no PETA supporter but Penn & Teller's BS episode is just anthropocentric, human supremacist tosh.

I've been hearing through the grapevine that Moz is vegan now, but I haven't seen official confirmation.

I just love how Moz refuses to sell out his music to d-bag advertisers, but instead donates it for free to animal liberation campaigns. Such a classy person.

Vegan fiesta on Mozzer's b-day gonna be lovely. :)

He must have gone vegan, how could he be involved in such a video if he wasn't? Even Russel Brand is one.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom