Morrissey-solo Wiki - updates and feature requests

This image:

Screenshot_20221217-213242.png

Doesn't appear to relate to Billy Liar despite the Grandmother calling him that - there is no scene with this in the (b&w) film.
(There was a 2 series UK TV show based on the film and a US version: "Billy" - even more loosely).
Anyone?

From SER's drum head post:
74286_6b5137cb3d58f5c75b135fbc3e2ee88a.jpg

(Image flipped and lightened).
Anyone recognise the film/actors...?

Similarly, I have it in my head that the looped clip in the below is a footballer - any sports buffs help? Possibly called Jim given the song...

Thanks in advance.
FWD.

The wiki software has been updated to the latest version (v1.35 to v1.39) and the desktop look switched to the modernized version. Many changes between versions over the span of a couple years but the basic functionality remains the same.

Post in this thread if any issues encountered.

Anyone know the source of the video played as a backdrop behind "I'm Not A Man"?

Anyone know the source of the video played as a backdrop behind "I'm Not A Man"?

I can't make much out of it except a sign on a building that says Motta or Moita, I think it's the latter, which is in Portugal

We're trying to track down the backdrop used for "Ouija Board" at the Oct. 2012 concert in Niagara Falls, NY. Anyone have an idea?

ouija_board_2012.jpg

Screenshot_20230305-094642.png

@ everyone:
Should you happen to have Smiths tickets/posters/memories that confirm support bands that you can clearly recall (preferably with evidence of said) that haven't featured elsewhere - please message me or reply here.
Thank you in advance.
FWD.

I don't know the movie but I'm pretty sure the Motta brand logo appears multiple times. It is a famous panetonne (special Christmas cake) maker, very big in Milan in the 1960s. They also became gelato makers.
brand.gif

There's a possible glimpse of Milan's Duomo (cathedral). Later in the video there's a sign with 5 on it that seems to say Cancello which is Italian for gate. The telephone booth is also of a vintage Italian type.

I don't know the movie but I'm pretty sure the Motta brand logo appears multiple times. It is a famous panetonne (special Christmas cake) maker, very big in Milan in the 1960s. They also became gelato makers.
brand.gif

There's a possible glimpse of Milan's Duomo (cathedral). Later in the video there's a sign with 5 on it that seems to say Cancello which is Italian for gate. The telephone booth is also of a vintage Italian type.
I forgot to say that I also looked at this YouTube video of the show, which is clearer in parts.

It is obviously set at Christmas or New Year because of the illuminated Christmas trees and Santa face seen at the funfair. Also, in one shop window there seems to be a representation of the three magi. There are echoes of La Strada as well as Rocco et Ses Freres, so it could be a pastiche of that style of film.

brand.gif

Thanks for the clues, going to look through some old Italian films that note Duomo / Milan as a filming location.

I forgot to say that I also looked at this YouTube video of the show, which is clearer in parts.

It is obviously set at Christmas or New Year because of the illuminated Christmas trees and Santa face seen at the funfair. Also, in one shop window there seems to be a representation of the three magi. There are echoes of La Strada as well as Rocco et Ses Freres, so it could be a pastiche of that style of film.

Watching that video I found some scenes which suggest it is "Milano Nera" (1963) (Pasolini writer credit). Found these clips with scenes that match:

Last edited:
From SER's drum head post:
View attachment 87373
(Image flipped and lightened).
Anyone recognise the film/actors...?

Similarly, I have it in my head that the looped clip in the below is a footballer - any sports buffs help? Possibly called Jim given the song...

Thanks in advance.
FWD.

Just had a look for this one: it looks like it's an Italian film 'La Proie du désir' (originally called 'Desiderio'); directed by Marcello Pagliero and Roberto Rossellini, released in 1946. The 2 people on the motorbike are Massimo Girotti and Elli Parvo.
Desiderio (1946). The whole film can be viewed here, and the scene in question appears briefly (41:12 - 41:30).

Capture.JPG
Capture2.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Just had a look for this one: it looks like it's an Italian film 'La Proie du désir' (originally called 'Desiderio'); directed by Marcello Pagliero and Roberto Rossellini, released in 1946. The 2 people on the motorbike are Massimo Girotti and Elli Parvo.
Desiderio (1946). The whole film can be viewed here, and the scene in question appears briefly (41:12 - 41:30).
Great find!

View attachment 89562View attachment 89563
Thank you - this was a major headache.
FWD.

Here's an obscure one.
Anyone recognise it?
We'll probably kick ourselves, but can't identify this one.
It's a 2019 backdrop:

View attachment 82989

Thanks in advance.
FWD.
This looks to me somewhat like Wikileaks collateral murder video, say from 8.27 here - but it's probably more a similar bombing scene from a movie than from it - in case that jogs anyone's memory : )

This looks to me somewhat like Wikileaks collateral murder video, say from 8.27 here - but it's probably more a similar bombing scene from a movie than from it - in case that jogs anyone's memory : )

There's a hand in the photo so doesn't seem it would be from aerial footage.

This image:

View attachment 87178

Doesn't appear to relate to Billy Liar despite the Grandmother calling him that - there is no scene with this in the (b&w) film.
(There was a 2 series UK TV show based on the film and a US version: "Billy" - even more loosely).
Anyone?
I just started re-reading Autobiography last night and when I got to page 41 the description of the gravestone of the son of Morrissey's grandmother's cousin in Southern Cemetery (near Morrissey's uncle's and grandfather's grave) as 'a featureless stone inscribed Our Billy' rang a bell and I wondered if this could be it? Morrissey writes that the only flowers frequently left there are from himself. The cousin was Jody Keating.

Back
Top Bottom