Morrissey-solo Wiki - updates and feature requests

davidt

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
The Morrissey-solo Wiki has just passed it's 10 year mark and I'll highlight some of the improvements and additions here. The thread can also be a place for future progress and any suggestions or feature requests. While the structure was getting built out over the first several years, in the last year or so a lot of info has been added and cleaned up thanks to @Famous when dead who overcame the technical learning curve, took on several tasks and entered a lot of data and inspired some new features. I believe the wiki has the potential to become the most comprehensive and up-to-date document of Morrissey and Smiths related information if it isn't already! Aligning with the common themes across the entire site, anyone can contribute to it with some effort and anything missing or incorrect can be fixed.

Some of the recent updates:
  • Morrissey discography and The Smiths discography pages - release information for all official releases is all up-to-date.
  • Morrissey live history and The Smiths live history pages up-to-date.
  • Page improvements - release pages easily aggregate information from Discogs, Wikipedia, forum threads and mentions from other pages. Song pages also include aggregated information such as cover versions and live history. Associating a date with each page also allows sorting of information by date (for example concerts, releases, statements).
  • Additional information - FWD added many influences (comprehensive cover versions, songs played during tour intermission, influences mentioned by Morrissey in interviews), Morrissey statements and release information on 'official' sites that no longer exist.

Fantastic, quite an achievement. Thank You, Thank You, Thank You David and as Always FWD..."from the heart of my bottom", "you've made a happy man old" etc, etc. Cheers.

What is the idea behind the "negative influences on Morrissey"?

What is the idea behind the "negative influences on Morrissey"?
It's a category for an 'influence' on Morrissey that is negative, likely he said something negative about a person or topic. So something like the opposite of a music / literary influence.

It's a category for an 'influence' on Morrissey that is negative, likely he said something negative about a person or topic. So something like the opposite of a music / literary influence.
I was curious about this as well... what confused me is that some don't have a lot of info like Cornershop or Olivia Newton John (other than mostly who they are) ... so, how are these 'negative influences' ? Whereas some like Madonna, Mike Joyce, and Johnny Rogan... it's a lot more clear why they are there.

Last edited:
A lot of the site links here need linking in to wiki entries.
Given the sheer scale, things being fleshed out will require lots of time & work.
Cornershop could fit in a category called 'antagonist towards Morrissey' or 'disliked Morrissey' etc, but for current filtering of articles, negative... was a catch-all.
I can't state enough that it is a 'work in progress' and really is a vast undertaking. Things like salvaging TTY articles, statements & release information are a headache at times and requires a lot of data entry - all the ongoing bits will all come together eventually and I'd hope people would appreciate how substantive the Wiki resource already is.
Regards,
FWD.

Okay, thank you, I think I get it now. At the moment, at least to me, it sounds a bit like these "influences" have resulted in Morrissey becoming "morally bad" or producing "bad stuff", like "bad friends" can do. Probably you want to stick to the "influence" to be able to categorize this section better, but I personally think that "negativity-inducing" would make more sense, or "influence inducing negativity from M.".

I was curious about this as well... what confused me is that some don't have a lot of info like Cornershop or Olivia Newton John (other than mostly who they are) ... so, how are these 'negative influences' ? Whereas some like Madonna, Mike Joyce, and Johnny Rogan... it's a lot more clear why they are there.
In addition, Cornershop, for example, is listed as having been part of the World Peace concerts' pre-show videos, so, I conclude, but I might be wrong here, that their influence can't be that negative.

Famous when dead and I are currently adding to the new category Concert Backdrops:

Feel free to suggest any that are missing.

Anyone know who is in this one from 2011 (during "Satellite Of Love")?

backdrop2011blonde.jpg

4aa50d232177ce9aad5afb567f655dd2--diana-dors-drama.jpg

Identified on a Diana Dors Pinterest page as the actress preparing for a bedroom scene in filming the British movie West 11 (1963).

Here's the bedroom scene in West 11 - the paisley blouse/robe must have been just for rehearsals or hair and make-up because Diana doesn't wear it in the film.

In the trailer footage actor Alfred Lynch, as Joe Beckett, is described as, "the drifter with time on his hands; time to kill".
Not too far away the lyric in SWCITE. Gotta love these 60s films btw. :thumb:
Joe has time on his hands because he doesn't really want a job. I was also interested to hear Diana Dors (as Georgia) say "Nobody loves us" at about fifteen minutes in. Oh, and there's a Britain First Party rally in there too! (West 11 refers to the postcode for Notting Hill Gate in London).

I’ve started to re-read most statements posted on TTY. It’s glaringly obvious that his geist has left him. Back then, we got hilarious, witty, fierce statements and messages, and there was no sign of bitterness or deep-rooted cynicisms. What happened and when? And why? It’s sad. I miss him.

Here's an obscure one.
Anyone recognise it?
We'll probably kick ourselves, but can't identify this one.
It's a 2019 backdrop:

MORRISSEY-06a-by-Steve-Jennings.jpg

Thanks in advance.
FWD.

Does anyone know who is on the drum set (image from 2013)?

morrissey-balboa_theatre_ACY0537.jpg

FB_IMG_1658956450097.jpg
image (2)~3.png

More of the same.
FWD.

Back
Top Bottom