morrissey solo songs

mike joyce

how many morrissey solo songs are good enough to have been on any of the 4 smiths studio albums?

i can only think of 2

everyday is like sunday and suedehead

All but a couple. I like Morrissey's solo records better than The Smiths.

how many morrissey solo songs are good enough to have been on any of the 4 smiths studio albums?

i can only think of 2

everyday is like sunday and suedehead

Or, you could approach it with a different perspective. More like how many Smiths songs are good enough to have been on any of Morrissey's studio albums? :p

well i think those 2 songs could fit on to a smiths catalogue..but not the ONLY ones.. I think "disappointed" could have snuck through.."november spawned a monster" could have fit too. "interesting drug" (maybe)..."seasick, yet still docked" could have too.. i think thats all that comes to mind...and "late night, maudlin street" might fit too

^^I agree with Late Night Maudlin Street. To me, lyrically, it's very Smiths-like. I wonder how much of Viva Hate was conceived lyrically prior to the Smiths split, considering the timing of it's release...

^^I agree with Late Night Maudlin Street. To me, lyrically, it's very Smiths-like. I wonder how much of Viva Hate was conceived lyrically prior to the Smiths split, considering the timing of it's release...

Viva Hate is a very Smiths-like album in every way. It's not like Morrissey made some big radical shift in the music. Stephen Street said he wrote the tunes and gave them to Morrissey expecting them to be B-sides to Smiths singles (that was at the time when Marr had already left, but the future of the band was still unsure).

I'm guessing that, when people say that Viva Hate is Smiths-like lyrically, what they mean that some themes that have become associated with The Smiths, such as troubled adolescence and unrealized first love, are dominant on the album. This is the album where Morrissey was mostly looking back into his adolescence and the 1970s.

But, let's say if The Smiths had not split, what would their subsequent albums be like? Lyrically, they would pretty much be the same. It's not like anyone from the band ever could influence or change Moz's lyrics. Maybe he would be more inspired by some tunes than by some others, but that's all. (Well, of course there would not have been 'songs' like Sorrow Will Come In The End... :p) Musically, there could be a difference in quality - which does not mean that there aren't quite a few Morrissey solo songs which are brilliant musically; but people tend to overlook it. Yeah, Alain Whyte and Boz Boorer aren't Johnny Marr, but they are still very good and very underrated composers, although Johnny and Morrissey were one of greatest songwriting teams ever and a creative chemistry like that can't be replaced. So, Johnny and Morrissey might have written more great songs, although I really doubt that they could have kept up the pace - if the band existed for 25 years rather than 5, sooner or later they would produce some average albums, as it happens with every band that exists so long and doesn't wait 5 or 10 years between releases. And would there have been a big change of direction, musically? I doubt that. Morrissey would not want to contribute vocals to the music he didn't like, and the band couldn't record that many instrumentals, so practically, he could put an end to any change of musical direction that he would disapprove of. Besides, despite what some people might say, a singer certainly is a musician, and Morrissey influences the music considerably.

Viva Hate is a very Smiths-like album in every way.

Interesting to hear you think the same. :) And yes, when I say Viva Hate is Smiths-like, I am referring to the lyrical themes you mention.

But, let's say if The Smiths had not split, what would their subsequent albums be like? Lyrically, they would pretty much be the same.

Not necessarily. I mean, his solo lyrics deal with many different themes the Smiths never touched on. I think this is mostly due to growing older & experiencing new things, changing as one does over the years, so the same would possibly have occured with the Smiths lyrics had they stayed together.

Musically, there could be a difference in quality - which does not mean that there aren't quite a few Morrissey solo songs which are brilliant musically

Musically, there'd be a vast difference. Yes, there are quite a few solo songs which some may consider to be brilliant musically, but 'quite a few' isn't enough and absolutely never comes close to Marr's brilliance.

if the band existed for 25 years rather than 5, sooner or later they would produce some average albums, as it happens with every band that exists so long and doesn't wait 5 or 10 years between releases.

Agreed! I'd much rather they stayed together, but I appreciate that they went out on a high..

:)

Last edited:
it's lyrically similar in some ways,naturally, but also looking backwards as stated. Musically it's very different though, in my opinion.

It's a better record than Strangeways, I think.

edit: I had to throw that in. :D

Not necessarily. I mean, his solo lyrics deal with many different themes the Smiths never touched on. I think this is mostly due to growing older & experiencing new things, changing as one does over the years, so the same would possibly have occured with the Smiths lyrics had they stayed together.
That's exactly what I said. Except that I don't think the same would have occured possibly, it would have occured certainly. He would still deal with those themes if he was in The Smiths.

That's exactly what I said. Except that I don't think the same would have occured possibly, it would have occured certainly. He would still deal with those themes if he was in The Smiths.

Oh, okay - I misunderstood you - Well, we agree then! :)

Back
Top Bottom