Morrissey-so much to answer for

Interesting, but somewhat creepy. And not really up-to-date.

"Observer critic Miranda Sawyer: 'If you notice, it's really all blokes. Men are in love with him... not women.'"

Very interesting article.
But the above statement is untrue.
As anyone who frequents this site will attest.

A great article - but I find it odd how the author knows about Johnny joining Modest Mouse, but apparently nothing about Moz since 1997 :confused:

Thanks for the link.

I think that's a terrible article myself. I don't think the writer is a particular fan and he is just repeating stuff he's read elsewhere. It reads like they asked him to come up with so many words on The Smiths and he did a few google searches.

Thanks for the link.

I think that's a terrible article myself. I don't think the writer is a particular fan and he is just repeating stuff he's read elsewhere. It reads like they asked him to come up with so many words on The Smiths and he did a few google searches.

Yeah, I agree :cool:

PS: I hate BONO, just seeing his name raises my blood preasure :mad:

Yeah, I agree :cool:

Me too... I mean, the article was cool until the last part where he seems to think this is still year 2002/3 - the bit about Moz being exiled in LA? didn´the hear about the two last records he made?? about Rome, etc?

However he knows Marr is with the Mosdest Mouse. Still, I found it interesting and it's always good to see people finallly giving him credit for the genius of his work, whether they like it or not ;)

Methinks the journo has been watching "the Importance of Being Morrissey . . . "

and why on Earth would I care to read what JK Rowling thinks of the Smiths and Morrissey ...

Hmm. That was "filler" if i ever saw it.

Oh my. I cannot STAND Bono. Some woman (20 or so years my senior) tried to fight me in Central Park once because I told my friend that I hate him. Jeez...

DXS

It must be endemic of Bono fans because I once got set upon in a pub because I questioned the f***wit's talent and motives.

Saying that, being a Smiths fan and a U2 fan must be a similar experience: people hate them, regardless of musical merit, because they hate the lead singer.

and why on Earth would I care to read what JK Rowling thinks of the Smiths and Morrissey ...

Because critics insist. Besides Rowling there are no other authors of note who are influenced by Morrissey and the whole idea of Morrissey as "poet/novelist/literary giant" loses steam if you can't quote a successful writer influenced by him. Rowling isn't the worst example. The worst example usually goes like this: "Morrissey's literary influence is massive. Douglas Coupland named a novel after a Smiths song!".

Because critics insist. Besides Rowling there are no other authors of note who are influenced by Morrissey and the whole idea of Morrissey as "poet/novelist/literary giant" loses steam if you can't quote a successful writer influenced by him. Rowling isn't the worst example. The worst example usually goes like this: "Morrissey's literary influence is massive. Douglas Coupland named a novel after a Smiths song!".

::snorts::

Very true. I highly doubt that Morrissey's had all that little literary influence - more that he hasn't heavily influenced many very successful authors, or many who've been open about it, so Coupland and Rowling are trotted out again and again.

Which I honestly think is a shame, as while I think they both have their points, I'd have to pause and consider before boasting that either of those people admired me.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom