Morrissey/Smiths Manchester Locations

Jack_Moz

Hi everyone

As you can tell I don’t post on here much, I’m always reading threads and news though, just don’t post.

Anyway, i’m a big Morrissey/smiths fan (obviously) and each year around this time me and a friend take it upon ourselves to travel to a Morrissey/Smiths related location in the Manchester area (stopping at various pubs on the way/way back into town). In the past 3 years we’ve done Salford lads club, iron bridge (stopping off at the kings road on the way) and strangeways. But i’m stuck for a location this year!! I think it’s because I’m in the middle of a period of not listening to moz/smiths because i overdid it and want to come back to the songs after an absence so it’s like im listening for the first time again.

Has anyone got any ideas?

Somewhere in the surrounding areas of the city centre. For example we started in chorlton, moved to strangeways, then finished in town. Preferably walking distance but it’s an all day thing so fairly long walks aren’t a problem (filter in pub stops though, ha!). Also a tedious link is no problem, any kind of link will do! We were going to do “a leeds side street” in leeds one year just because my friend moved there (but then i stepped in and said it has to be in manc till we completely run out of locations). Southern cem is ruled out cos we spent a lot of time in chorlton last year, want to tred some new Manchester ground! Hospital where he was born is a back up!

I’ve got Phill’s Manchester book which is full of locations but places like the bbc, star and garter, student union, g mex are too central, it’d be over before it began (and we walk past them everyday).

Thanks a lot for your help! It’s a great day out if you’ve never done it, come across some very strange places/pubs! Really get to discover Manchester whilst visiting morrissey/smiths landmarks.

Thanks again
Jack - thought this best belonged in off topic, isn't really news or and 'event'

I'm not English so don't know, but wanted to say Good Luck, and I hope you start up a 'walking tour' for the rest of us to do one day!

Always keen to boost Trafford's tourist numbers... How about Trafford General Hospital in Davyhulme (where Moz was born), Trafford College in Stretford (was Stretford Tech when when Moz studied there), stop off at MUFC whilst you are there (Munic Air Disaster), Lancs Cricket Club (Move Festival) round the back there is the Quadrant Pub (he mentioned it during the Move gig) also the B&Q store nearby was the site of an old night club where Moz booked New York Dolls. Feel free to revisit the old house and Iron Bridge as they are nearby as well. Further out go to the Vine pub on Washway Road in Sale where Johnny and Andy celebrated signing with Rough Trade, they went there because Andy was living on the nearby Race Course Estate (now known as Sale West) - try to find out if his dealer still lives there :)

Dave

Thanks for the ideas.

Does anyone know

1. the address of Johnny Marr's house in Bowdon where the fruitful writting session of summer 85 took place? Or just the street name.
2. Any studios in Manchester where the smiths recorded anything? And what it was they recorded.

Thanks a lot!

Thanks for the ideas.

Does anyone know

1. the address of Johnny Marr's house in Bowdon where the fruitful writting session of summer 85 took place? Or just the street name.
2. Any studios in Manchester where the smiths recorded anything? And what it was they recorded.

Thanks a lot!

Strawberry Studios in Stockport. No longer studios, but the building is still there.

Back
Top Bottom