Morrissey / Smiths in the media (Steve Coogan, Bernard Butler, Chesney Hawkes, craft beer pairing)

Steve Coogan mentions Morrissey and The Smiths in his biography

posted by tingle3 in the forums (original post):

A-ha! Steve Coogan (actor and comedian/ impressionist and voice artist), in his new biography "Easily Distracted", mentions being at a Smiths gig at the Manchester Free Trade Hall at the invitation of the support band the Red Guitars. I believe this must have been in 1984. He mentions being a choir boy at the wedding of one of the members of the Red Guitars. When invited back stage, Morrissey bought Coogan a drink and he (Coogan) remembers being very excited. Coogan says he knew at the time of the gig that it was something very special. For what it's worth (nothing) I got quite excited about Marimba Jive by the Red Guitars and have a copy of it somewhere but haven't seen it for years and years.

Bernard Butler & Morrissey - How Yes Became a No?

Posted by A Mans Man in the forums (original post):

In todays Irish Times Bernard Butler discusses the song Yes and states:

"The song, says Butler, was shopped around to other artists before he approached McAlmont to sing on it. “One in particular was much older and a much more established artist,” he says, steadfastly refusing to name names. “They came back and just wanted to change everything in the song; they key, the structure, everything about it. I freaked out and I just had to say to them, ‘You know what, you’re not doing it, I want my song back’, and that caused a massive load of trouble,” he says, laughing.

“I got into so much shit for a few days with this person, who was literally phoning me up and screaming at me. But I took a deep breath and thought: I’m probably right about this one.”

I remember once hearing that he had offered this song to Morrissey and this sounds like his way of working and structuring songs? Would have been an interesting collaboration given he also collaborated with Siouxsie around the same time

Related item:

A special message from fellow Mozzerian, Chesney Hawkes, for the Mozarmy & little old me

Roberto Ferdenzi posts in the forums (original post):

A special message from fellow Mozzerian, Chesney Hawkes, for the Mozarmy on twitter & little old me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPfRbCbF05Y

Oktoberfest Playlist: 21 Albums Expertly Paired With Craft Beers - Diffuser

Link from @torrHL / Twitter:

Oktoberfest Playlist: 21 Albums Expertly Paired With Craft Beers - Diffuser
"Morrissey, ‘You Are the Quarry’ (2004) / Arrogant Bastard Ale (Stone Brewing)

"It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to be able to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth." That is Stone's own cheeky description of what is actually a deliciously bitter and downright iconic strong ale. Moz is, of course, Our Arrogant Bastard of Music, and You Are the Quarry offers a career-high intersection of staggering arrogance ("America Is Not the World") and comeback-worthy quality."

Last edited:
Knowing me Alan Partridge knowing you Silly Steven humasexual closet cheese eating lazy arse animal activist statement poster Salford hard case CrankFraud, AHAAAAAAAA !

Benny-the-British-Butcher

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom