Morrissey/Smiths font?

Does anyone know the name of the font(s) that were usually used on the cover of Morrissey or Smiths albums (and on some shirts)? Any help would be muchly appreciated :D!

(hope this thread goes in the right place, too.)

Does anyone know the name of the font(s) that were usually used on the cover of Morrissey or Smiths albums (and on some shirts)? Any help would be muchly appreciated :D!

check the peepholism thread. that book told ALL.

as a graphic designer/typography nerd, I assume most of the album covers used traditional, old style typefaces like garamond, bodoni, helvetica, gill sans, futura...

what do you need them for? making any cool art?

Most of these were tweaked for the sleeves but these are the basic fonts, I think, at least on my computer...

"The World Won't Listen" was Rockwell. "Hatful of Hollow" is some species of Arial (Vrinda?). The original Smiths logo ("Hand In Glove" etc.) was Zapf Humanist (or Optane). "The Queen Is Dead" was Bodoni. "The Boy With The Thorn In His Side" is Helvetica. "Louder Than Bombs" is Goudy. "How Soon Is Now?" is Futurist. "Rank" is Albertus. "Last Night I Dreamt" is Cheltenham. "Strangeways" is an easy one but the name escapes me at the moment.

Those should get you in the ballpark.

Most of these were tweaked for the sleeves but these are the basic fonts, I think, at least on my computer...

"The World Won't Listen" was Rockwell. "Hatful of Hollow" is some species of Arial (Vrinda?). The original Smiths logo ("Hand In Glove" etc.) was Zapf Humanist (or Optane). "The Queen Is Dead" was Bodoni. "The Boy With The Thorn In His Side" is Helvetica. "Louder Than Bombs" is Goudy. "How Soon Is Now?" is Futurist. "Rank" is Albertus. "Last Night I Dreamt" is Cheltenham. "Strangeways" is an easy one but the name escapes me at the moment.

So you're not a writer. Well, I mean, not that writers can't also be graphic designers :o; kinda like waiters can be actors, too, right? :D

So you're not a writer. Well, I mean, not that writers can't also be graphic designers :o; kinda like waiters can be actors, too, right? :D

Ed, alone, walks down the hallway. The pulsing treble hum is louder.

ED (V.O.)
...Well, it's like pulling away from
the maze. While you're in the maze
you go through willy-nilly, turning
where you think you have to turn,
banging into dead ends, one thing
after another...

PRISON YARD

Ed emerges into the empty prison yard ringed by high stone walls. A hard spotlight shines down from above. Ed squints into it.

ED (V.O.)
...But get some distance on it, and
all those twists and turns, why,
they're the shape of your life. It's
hard to explain...

ED (V.O.)
after another...

PRISON YARD

Ed emerges into the empty prison yard ringed by high stone walls. A hard spotlight shines down from above. Ed squints into it.

ED (V.O.)
hard to explain...

I take that as proof that you are not a writer. :D

ED (V.O.)
after another...

PRISON YARD

ED (V.O.)
hard to explain...

What happens next, what happens next??? :eek:

Love PTxx.

Can someone tell me which font was used on 'Meat Is Murder'? I am designing a leaflet for being vegetarian as part of an English course and would love to have 'Meat Is Murder' as the title printed in the font used or as similar as possible.

Cheers,
Love PTxx.

Shouldn't you be studying traffic lights ?

Did you manage to work it out? :)

I have literally just finished my lesson on traffic lights and all went fine :)
(it started at 4:50 and finished at 6:50, I had to negotiate lights in some of the most hideous areas of Leeds!! This was only my fifth lesson:eek:)

Love PTxx.

Thanks for the help!!

I'm supposed to design an album cover for a photography assignment based around an existing song/album :).

Dude, you are so Morrissey. Just admit to it already!:)

Those should get you in the ballpark.

Back
Top Bottom