Morrissey slammed for glamourising suicide

Re: Morrissey Slammed For Glamourising Suicide -dnaindia.com

Okay, then I want the cakes from your mom's shop.

You don't want them. They're made of polystyrene. What you want is FRESH cake off-cuts with no mould on them! :thumb:

You don't want them. They're made of polystyrene. What you want is FRESH cake off-cuts with no mould on them! :thumb:

Doesn't she have a cake shop?

Well maybe, but on that picture it's obvious he's thinking about how much he'd like to slap Jamie Oliver's chops, not sex.

By chops, did you mean côtelettes?

the self-destruction ,you can see in society everyday ,WE ARE giving all things that body craves, drugs, food and drink , sex, etc the society is cult to THE death , but the saints flagellation of is different , they reject everything, they HURT themselves in rejection of the life mundane and they elevate spirit but however they are not in control TO decidE when :mad: to die

It's astonishing the press he's been getting the last few months for relatively minor things....the NME and the telegraph today trying to stir up more controversy because of his comments on suicide even though he's been saying the same things for nearly 30 years!! Truly amazing.

Re: "Morrissey Slammed For Glamourising Suicide"

People who do kill themselves, must have a pretty good reason to do so

and they feel there's nothing else keeping them living, and it's not worth it anymore

why should we stop them? should we lock them up in jail til they die naturally?

That is not totally true. Most people that commit suicide are the ones that just have that (IR)rational thought, just THAT (IR)rational thought that it may be better. Its rational at that moment, that everyone is better off without them in their lives. Sadly, not just teens, adults and even elders feel this way. For those who feel this way, just need to step away and think of those whom it will affect and just calm down. Its not just the life you destroy its the LIVES you destroy by doing so.

Honestly, if Moz really feels this way, than by all means sir, become one of those bombers that do just that.. "because its honorable" Morrissey, God bless, you're older now, and wiser now. You are no longer the angst teenage that would be more willing to do with your self, guy. Why now at the age of 50 make such a ridiculous statement? Funny how that I have grown with him in just the 'bout age and he stills harbor these feelings. What a way to make Mom proud!

Re: "Morrissey Slammed For Glamourising Suicide"

I agree, suicide kicks ass.

However, Moz's response was in the context of getting old...commiting suicide before all is lost. It's not like he was advocating that depressed teenagers go and run in front of buses.

I agree (or I hope) that Morrissey meant his comments in the context of people who are terminally ill, etc. It is dangerous for someone as beloved and influential as himself to be speaking of suicide in general as courageous and those who do it as "in control". Someone in the grips of severe depression, and its accompanying distorted thought processes, is certainly not "in control".

My cousin shot himself almost 20 years ago, and his mother still suffers horribly over it.

While being, or appearing to be very compassionate(I don't know him) Morrissey speaks about almost everything in a very self-centered way. When he talks of absolute control he means not only taking the decision to leave but also coming to the realisation that you are in total control of yourself and others should not dictate to you the way you live or die.
I agree with him really. It is courageous to lie down and be counted rather than waking up and carrying on with the pain like most of us.

For gods sake! He can say what he likes. He's not some brain dead "role model" for teenage airheads. He doesn't have to be responsible for anyone but himself. Free speech.

Sorry but it gets my goat how lately his every utterance is picked apart for some sort of malevolent meaning. It's a really bad sign of the times.

For gods sake! He can say what he likes. He's not some brain dead "role model" for teenage airheads. He doesn't have to be responsible for anyone but himself. Free speech.

Sorry but it gets my goat how lately his every utterance is picked apart for some sort of malevolent meaning. It's a really bad sign of the times.

Absolutely - crazy times...:crazy:

Exactly. It's an opinion - at least he has one. If it perturbs Daile Express readers, then thats an added bonus.

Suicide is revolting in general, and horrific for both the victim and friends, but when people are old and ill and go do it as a couple I'm right behind them. I respect their decision.
I don't think Moz would ever do it; he's been pining over Kurt's death for years now. That wasn't honourable. It was utterly stupid and wrong.

The current discourse in the media regarding Morrissey's view on the topic misses an opportunity to discuss the real need for increased awareness and a resource base which addresses the causal factors of suicide - mainly mental illness.

According to http://www.suicide.org/suicide-causes.html :
"Over 90 percent of people who die by suicide have a mental illness at the time of their death." and "Untreated depression is the number one cause for suicide."

In a bulletin of the World Health Organization, Kohn, et al. explain the treatment gap in mental health care
(http://www.who.int/bulletin/volumes/82/11/en/858.pdf) :

"In part, the excess disability due to mental disorders is a result of their early age of onset (1). The magnitude of this bur*den also results from the fact that only a minority of individuals with these disorders ever receive treatment in the specialized mental health care system or in the general health care system (5); initial treatment is frequently delayed for many years (6). Numerous reasons have been imputed. These include: failing to seek help because the problem is not acknowledged, perceiving that treatment is not effective, believing that the problem will go away by itself, and desiring to deal with the problem without outside help (7, 8). In addition a lack of knowledge about mental disorders and stigma remain major barriers to care (9, 10). Factors that are direct barriers to care also preclude treatment, including financial considerations (11), issues of accessibility, as well as limited availability or lack of availability of services in many countries or for some populations (12)."

Though I understand how Morrissey's opinion on suicide is controversial, it seems to me that finding solutions to the barriers to treatment would be a more useful focal point for the media to draw attention to. If they feel he is indeed glamourising suicide, they are only giving him a larger platform to do so through their commentary on his statements regarding the issue.

If they feel he is indeed glamourising suicide, they are only giving him a larger platform to do so through their commentary on his statements regarding the issue.

If anyone is glamorizing suicide it is the media. He only answered a question. In a honest way. He did not say suicide is great and everybody should do it... it was a great interview, but once again MEDIA are not interested, are they? . Just pick something he said and exaggerate it to a maximum effect and get a headline. Well, you are right, they are the ones to blame. If they did not want his opinion on this maybe he should not have been asked!

Sue I decide

Well, he wasn't glamouring it, he was just stating his opinion.
I have always thought suicide is nether brave or cowedly. It just becomes the only way ( for some)

Last edited:
I can honestly say that when I attempted suicide, it had nothing to do with the opinion of some bloke whose music I liked listening to (not even Richey). Perhaps the papers could use this as an opportunity to debate the reasons for suicide and what society could do to help? But of course, that would involve doing a bit of research and maybe some interviews, rather than just having a pop at 'gloomy Pope of Mope Morrissey - heaven knows he's miserable now!'

Tags
don't do it! jump ripple effect santacide
Back
Top Bottom