Morrissey singles...Re-issue, repackaged.....

D

Davey Hulme

Is anyone else getting a little annoyed with the single releases?
The record company bastards know we will want all of the b-sides, so as a result, I have bought 2 copies of IBEH and two copies of FOTGTD (including one copy I cant even play on my CD player!) and now I will purchase 2 copies of LMKY.
So when the latest single shoots into the top 10, it's because the likes of me and you have bought the bloody thing twice to keep our collection complete and their sales increased.
As J Lydon once remarked
Ha ha ha, ever felt you've been cheated?

> Is anyone else getting a little annoyed with the single releases?
> The record company bastards know we will want all of the b-sides, so as a
> result, I have bought 2 copies of IBEH and two copies of FOTGTD (including
> one copy I cant even play on my CD player!) and now I will purchase 2
> copies of LMKY.
> So when the latest single shoots into the top 10, it's because the likes
> of me and you have bought the bloody thing twice to keep our collection
> complete and their sales increased.
> As J Lydon once remarked
> Ha ha ha, ever felt you've been cheated?

Oh open that wallet. He deserves it. You could choose not to buy both versions. It's not so much a swindle as a donation to a good cause.

> Is anyone else getting a little annoyed with the single releases?
> The record company bastards know we will want all of the b-sides, so as a
> result, I have bought 2 copies of IBEH and two copies of FOTGTD (including
> one copy I cant even play on my CD player!) and now I will purchase 2
> copies of LMKY.
> So when the latest single shoots into the top 10, it's because the likes
> of me and you have bought the bloody thing twice to keep our collection
> complete and their sales increased.
> As J Lydon once remarked
> Ha ha ha, ever felt you've been cheated?

Here in the US they only put out one CD with all of the b-sides on it.

here's why:

UK CHART RULES

The official UK charts are compiled and overseen by "The Official UK Charts Company" (OCC) - a joint venture between the BPI (British Phonographic Industry) and BARD (British Association of Record Dealers). It was established by the music industry to regulate and control the Chart compilation process and to ensure that the Charts represent an accurate assessment of popularity. Official UK Charts is governed by the Charts Supervisory Committee comprising representatives from retailers, record companies and broadcasters. Sales data is supplied by over 5,600 retailers including all the major high street chains as well as 600 independent stores covering 99% of the singles market, 95% of albums and 80% of the video market.

Any record company is free to release music in any format and at any length but formats that fail to meet the Official Chart rules are simply excluded from the Official Charts.

2004 -

Two new formats have been introduced:

The two-track CD single:

Two audio tracks only
No more than 10 minutes in total
Standardised singles jewel case packaging, no free gifts or extras, lower minimum dealer price

The "Maxi" CD/DVD:

Current maximum of three tracks will in addition be able to feature remixes of those tracks so long as they remain within the currently-acknowledged time limit of 20 minutes
Singles which solely feature a lead track plus multiple remixes of the same track will be able to run for up to 40 minutes
The current limit of one video will increase to two
Singles will, for the first time, be able to feature weblinks with an extension of the rule which currently allows them on albums

Labels wishing to release a single that complies with the new rules should be aware that sales of a maximum of one 2 Track CD, one "Maxi" CD and one "Maxi" DVD may be combined per release for Chart purposes.

That one doesn't play in your cd player because IT'S A DVD, dumbass!

have you never bought singles before?

this isn't a new tactic, nor a morrissey-specific tactic. several years ago almost ALL single releases began including multiple versions, so that the big fans help drive the track higher in the charts.
it's annoying, but nothing new. you should have gotten over it years ago...

Re: have you never bought singles before?

>in the states, they actually GIVE AWAY the 7".
but yeah, i just keep buying. at least it keeps everything current... you can go get new moz. it's like a never ending fountain of wonder. may it never end.

Back
Top Bottom