Morrissey says Der Spiegel last print interview he will do; suggests words weren't said

Link posted by an anonymous person (original post) in the Chicago post-show thread:

Also posted in the post-show thread by Famous when dead (original post):

Full quote:

41544_41537_FB_IMG_1511706504841.jpg

SER shows solidarity:

41543_41538_20171126_144331.png

Related item:

Last edited:
Exactly. He either said it or didn't. They should be sued if they lied. He should keep quiet if they didn't lie. Either way he should try going back to the old way of his interviews where he was cutting but funny. Now he's just cutting.
Poor Damon must have thick skin to be listening to the crap like 'I've never been on a date".

You know why there is no sniff of a lawsuit from Camp Moz? Because he said everything in the interview. There is a tape of the whole conversation. The translation that was posted on the site was also accurate according to two different Germans I know whom are also fluent in English. It's German for chrissakes! It's not like we are translating Sanskrit into Swahili!

The use of mudslinging was a deliberate act to trick people into depriving themselves of this wonderful album, #LowInHighSchool. Luckily it only worked on the stupid people who actually buy into political correctness.

iHeartMOZ

Wow, you're dumb.

The use of mudslinging was a deliberate act to trick people into depriving themselves of this wonderful album, #LowInHighSchool. Luckily it only worked on the stupid people who actually buy into political correctness.

iHeartMOZ
Use of the term 'political correctness' indicates the paucity of your position. It's meaningless. Like 'virtue signalling' and 'human nature'.
These terms, invariably used by those on the right, popular in the press but completely devoid of any real meaning except 'I want to be objectionable and get away with it.'

Use of the term 'political correctness' indicates the paucity of your position. It's meaningless. Like 'virtue signalling' and 'human nature'.
These terms, invariably used by those on the right, popular in the press but completely devoid of any real meaning except 'I want to be objectionable and get away with it.'

Lots of people on the left use the term "political correctness" and have done for years.

The USA should of never re-built Germany after WWII under the assumption there wouldn't be any more Nazis. I reckon these people in Germany are a bunch of tossey wackers tit inn nn nit. I reckon in 5 years when Steve next plays a "gig" in Germany he should really get into "far off places" and make sure the drummer (whatever his name is) kicks the bass drum hard during "IF THE USA DOESN'T BOMB YOU".

Lots of people on the left use the term "political correctness" and have done for years.
You're going to have to give some examples. It's used by the right to say "Your opinion isn't worth considering." It was created by Ronald Reagan. No one accuses the right of being politically correct.
List of politically correct things in US history.
abolition of slavery
women's right to vote
blacks' right to vote
integration of schools
marriage equality

In other words, progress and equality. The fact that "politically correct" is used as a slur shows how good the right is at rhetoric. Same with SJW, social justice warrior. Wouldn't the world be a better place if "social justice" were a strong value that people will work to achieve?
Whenever you hear people using these terms they are angry because they are being criticized for speaking their minds. Usually the right to speak their minds is not affected unless it's hate speech, but what is affected is the right to do so without having anyone challenge them. For example using racial slurs is much less acceptable than it once was but it's not generally illegal unless it's used in a way to frighten someone, make them feel threatened. But now people that use these terms, that make others feel uncomfortable and feel that they are being threatened, themselves feel threatened. And that is social justice and it's correct, politically.
So do some research and see if you can change my mind.

iHeartMOZ
Because the whole world is actively conspiring against Morrissey, because he is absolutely nothing
if not a perpetual victim.

Because the whole world is actively conspiring against Morrissey, because he is absolutely nothing
if not a perpetual victim.
G23, you should sell the MMGA hats. I think you may get some buyers. I might buy one!

It truly is a shame the greatness of this "intelligent" album is being overshadowed by stupidity. Sadly, Mozz himself shares much of the blame if for only not being more precise in his wording in interviews. All he needs to do is provide a official statement explaining which "words" have been misconstrued. Otherwise he has played right into the hands of his haters and enemies. Look at the jack offs here teeing off on him. I can understand Moz being so jaded that he wonders why he should bother but if he wants to say something he should say it. This album deserves a second look. It's one of the best albums he's been a part of. He can stop the bleeding..but will he?

Vegan, I respect this view as you do see the many sides to these things. Definitely things to consider.

You're going to have to give some examples. It's used by the right to say "Your opinion isn't worth considering." It was created by Ronald Reagan. No one accuses the right of being politically correct.
List of politically correct things in US history.
abolition of slavery
women's right to vote
blacks' right to vote
integration of schools
marriage equality

In other words, progress and equality. The fact that "politically correct" is used as a slur shows how good the right is at rhetoric. Same with SJW, social justice warrior. Wouldn't the world be a better place if "social justice" were a strong value that people will work to achieve?
Whenever you hear people using these terms they are angry because they are being criticized for speaking their minds. Usually the right to speak their minds is not affected unless it's hate speech, but what is affected is the right to do so without having anyone challenge them. For example using racial slurs is much less acceptable than it once was but it's not generally illegal unless it's used in a way to frighten someone, make them feel threatened. But now people that use these terms, that make others feel uncomfortable and feel that they are being threatened, themselves feel threatened. And that is social justice and it's correct, politically.
You picked up the baton and ran better than I ever could.

This whole controversy is so damn depressing. I've barely read anything where anyone is talking about this record in intelligent terms, either here, on reddit, or on any message board. (Certainly not in any music writing.) This is an uncompromising album by songwriter that has always dared to be himself. Even if one disagrees with Morrissey now, but has appreciated his work in the past, there are so many intelligent conversations that this record could provoke.

1. Is it right to hold those that actually commit acts of violence in the name of a nation state accountable?
2. Should the people of a nation be held to account for the actions of their government?
3. What artistic sources, either musically or lyrically, has Morrissey used for this release?
4. Israel, whatever you think of the song, is not a straight politically topical song. Some of the lines seem to be about his own struggle with Catholicism. How do you think this song can be interpreted?
5. Should one confuse the art and the artist?

I mean those are just five things off the top of my head. I do realize that some here are debating some those things, and sometimes intelligently, but mostly people are just jumping to conclusions based on headlines, etc.

Has Morrissey not always been a complicated person and artist? It's not that Morrissey has gotten more controversial, but that we seem to have less stomach for the outrageous and controversial as a society. If you read Conversations with Morrissey, he hasn't changed as much as people think.

I can't remember the last time I bought a record, before this one, that actually made me think and questions myself. (Maybe the last Leonard Cohen record?) We're lucky to have him and will miss him when gone. Look at the top 40. It's a f***ing wasteland. Many artists through the years have been very complicated people. If we banish artists just because of their opinions, we will be all the poorer for it. Thank heavens he is out there, a mutant in our time...

Thanks for posting. At last someone who can string a few sentences together with a little bit of thought and respect. You're right, we will miss him when he has gone. Before then, I truly hope that we can get another 4 or 5 albums from Morrissey before that time comes.

The music world has changed completely in recent years. Musical publications and well-respected reporters (if any of those EVER existed at all) have been decimated. Music TV is almost non-existent. Artists are complicated folks and always have been. In Morrissey's case he is a musical legend too. But funny and very intelligent. So, it's 2017 and he has just released a fantastic new album with original songs. By comparison the older Bob Dylan has just released 2 (or is it 3) new albums of "cover" versions. From my point of view. Morrissey and Boz have tried a few new ideas, styles and arrangements on LIHS. 90-95% of these have worked and they are superb, which is great. The production, arrangements and instruments are sublime.

"Morrissey is, as usual, eminently quotable, his elegant lyrics mixing elevated and colloquial language in ways that trip off the tongue. What is often overlooked, though, is his musical flair, but the best of his solo work is easily a match for what he achieved with The Smiths." - 2017, LIHS Review

I don't think Our Morrissey is a mutant, however, he is a REBEL. In 1982 he was a rebel and he's still a REBEL now !

Viva Morrissey,

Hazard
x

Hi Orson, Not in my experience.

Well, I don't need to "do some research" really, but it certainly wasn't created by Reagan. I am "of the left"; 99% of my friends are "of the left". I remember the term being used since around the early-90s, perhaps earlier, though it's hard to quote individuals and dinner parties from over twenty years ago. Being PC was generally seen as a good thing. I think you are confused by the more contemporary usage of it, but that's not how people of my generation and earlier use it. Just last year I saw Stewart Lee doing a whole routine on political correctness in its old sense. Anyway, the full history of the term is there on Wikipedia and is a good read.

Last edited:
Well, I don't need to "do some research" really, but it certainly wasn't created by Reagan. I am "of the left"; 99% of my friends are "of the left". I remember the term being used since around the early-90s, perhaps earlier, though it's hard to quote individuals and dinner parties from over twenty years ago. Being PC was generally seen as a good thing. I think you are confused by the more contemporary usage of it, but that's not how people of my generation and earlier use it. Just last year I saw Stewart Lee doing a whole routine on political correctness in its old sense. Anyway, the full history of the term is there on Wikipedia and is a good read.
OK I'll check it out. And yes, maybe I have become confused by the use of the phrase these days but by that merit I stand by my assertion for the here and now.
What's your favourite Orson Welles movie.

OK I'll check it out. And yes, maybe I have become confused by the use of the phrase these days but by that merit I stand by my assertion for the here and now.
What's your favourite Orson Welles movie.

Yes, well that reply was more for the benefit of the other poster who probably won't ever see it btw. As for Welles, I don't know if I could say just one. Probably either Ambersons, Shanghai or Touch of Evil. Though obviously Kane is good. I think I may recognise you from being based on another site...

Yes, well that reply was more for the benefit of the other poster who probably won't ever see it btw. As for Welles, I don't know if I could say just one. Probably either Ambersons, Shanghai or Touch of Evil. Though obviously Kane is good. I think I may recognise you from being based on another site...
All great, great movies. Lady from Shanghai is mine. I even like the Irish accent!
By the way, this is the only site I haunt. Christ, if I subscribed to another one I'd never leave the house!

All great, great movies. Lady from Shanghai is mine. I even like the Irish accent!
By the way, this is the only site I haunt. Christ, if I subscribed to another one I'd never leave the house!

Shanghai is amazing; I may have to rewatch it tonight. Well, it's funny but I'm sure there is another Peterb who posts in a similar style to you on a website dedicated to a well-known long running British TV series. Apologies for the mistaken identity!

Shanghai is amazing; I may have to rewatch it tonight. Well, it's funny but I'm sure there is another Peterb who posts in a similar style to you on a website dedicated to a well-known long running British TV series. Apologies for the mistaken identity!
How strange. May I ask what the series is?
We are obviously both on line at the moment.
I have pulled a sickie today.
What's your excuse?

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom