Morrissey recording new Janice Long BBC Radio2 session today ~ Broadcast next week.

Re: Morrissey recording new Janice Long BBC Radio2 session today ~ Broadcast next wee

I can't wait to hear the band butcher any potential Street collaboration.

Lol. Sad but true. Jangle pop becomes distorted power rock.

Re: Morrissey recording new Janice Long BBC Radio2 session today ~ Broadcast next wee

I think when people hear the song they'll see that Morrissey means it in a bad way...

Most likely.

As much as i like to hear new songs from Morrissey - i do not want to know half of the next album in advance as it has happened with YATQ and YOR. Especially the last one was a bit ruined for me as the studio versions of the already known tracks couldn't heal the first impressions i got from the live recordings.

Of cause, i could reject listening to the new ones this time, but is this a real option???

Getting out of hand with curiosity here, but maybe one of them is a Johnny track and he went in to play it. Though he does seem too busy for a Moz tour unfortunately.

On a tangent, what, if any, is the relationship between Marr and Street? Was there any acrimony after the Smiths split did it simply end?

See Stephen Streets diary entry for December 2008:-

"So, a great experience; not only are The Smiths LPS going to be available again in a much needed re-mastered form, but I have rekindled a friendship with one of the best musicians I have ever worked with and that is priceless!"

Very similar to Street's comments about Morrissey.

But then there's this comment from September 2009

"I know some bands try and be super-cool and look down their noses at 'Careerist' bands (the Cribs spring to mind here for their anti-career stance) but f*** yeah, it IS a career it's not supposed to be a hobby! ...... The Cribs are on their fourth album with Johnny Marr joining them on guitar. I think we can safely say that Johnny and the Cribs has made a career out of music can't we!?"

So who knows?

Lots of love your Southport Grandma

As much as i like to hear new songs from Morrissey - i do not want to know half of the next album in advance as it has happened with YATQ and YOR. Especially the last one was a bit ruined for me as the studio versions of the already known tracks couldn't heal the first impressions i got from the live recordings.

Of cause, i could reject listening to the new ones this time, but is this a real option???

You've got no chance of doing that Stefan, you may hold of for a day or two but in the end he ll get yah. I do sympathise though knowing more than one song spoils an album.

So they're new as in 2010/2011, new album material, new? I hope they're not 'new' but from 1992 or something stupid, ala the GG release b-sides.

It also didn't help that the live versions were slightly better than the studio tracks...namely, "Mama" and the Mikey Farrell versions of "Paris" and "Goodbye Will Be Farewell"...

Ain't no God. Sorry.

P.

*And he was smote by a freak thunderbolt* !!

I wrote a poem with almost the same words 'people...same everywhere...' years ago. Every few weeks, unfailingly, after people I know attend something or travel or observe some social phenomenon, that comment is trotted out. One of the unique strengths of Morrissey's lyrical ear is picking up on idioms and not being too snobbish to use them. It'll be interesting to see what he does with this common notion. : )

I wrote a poem with almost the same words 'people...same everywhere...' years ago. Every few weeks, unfailingly, after people I know attend something or travel or observe some social phenomenon, that comment is trotted out. One of the unique strengths of Morrissey's lyrical ear is picking up on idioms and not being too snobbish to use them. It'll be interesting to see what he does with this common notion. : )

He'll be singing about how people everywhere don't love him. :p

Absolutely right. "Road testing" might lead to disappointment on both sides. The "new songs" 2002 were so promising, especially "Bores", even the "Janice Sessions" 2002 were brilliant & breathtaking. Up to now I am still not happy with Finns treatment. The way he (or the band) took all hymnical potential from this original live favour of mine still hurts. From my point of view it got better with Visconti who brought back some kind of Nineties Moz but then it went all the way down with Finn again.
Hopefully they already recorded the whole album, so the live impact from Berlin 2011 will get no chance to spread wrong expectations.

Of course, my hope lies in "Action man" which should be the reworked Whyte song from Rott. But then again, I try not to wet my panties till Wednesday morning. On the ether, around midnight, at my age? Well,....the enthusiasm seems still intact. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

what do you guess:will he be on on the first hour or the second hour ?the internet place sin the hostel where i will be staying on tuesday is very expensive and there is no other internetcafe near to listen to it online
okay i can always turn to the radio but i dont think the other guests at the lobby would be cool with listening to janice for two hours insteads of ..well..their prefered music....

Last edited:

what do you guess:will he be on on the first hour or the second hour ?the internet place sin the hostel where i will be staying on tuesday is very expensive and there is no other internetcafe near to listen to it online
okay i can always turn to the radio but i dont think the other guests at the lobby would be cool with listening to janice for two hours insteads of ..well..their prefered music....

i think i might give the radio preview a miss.... just so that the live experience will be all the more exciting. can always look on the iplayer after the shows for a rewind/review of the radio show

According to Janice Long on her show last night, Morrissey will be on in the first hour of the broadcast on Tuesady night/Wednesday morning.
Didn't say anything else about the session recording on Friday, other than that Morrissey has no record deal at present so who knows when you'll get to hear these songs in a commercially released format.
It's like 2002~dejavu all over again.

According to Janice Long on her show last night, Morrissey will be on in the first hour of the broadcast on Tuesady night/Wednesday morning.
Didn't say anything else about the session recording on Friday, other than that Morrissey has no record deal at present so who knows when you'll get to hear these songs in a commercially released format.
It's like 2002~dejavu all over again.

Is it just me or do you think he is debuting these songs in hopes of drumming up a record deal rather than just something new for the fans?

Ain't no God. Sorry.

P.

And how do you know this? Open your mind to possibilities than ignore everything around you.

Lol. Sad but true. Jangle pop becomes distorted power rock.

Yeah. I absolutely agree with you there. Most of Morrissey's jangle pop demos did become horrible, take "Why don't you find out for yourself?". The demo is far superior than the actual album track. Nobody understands that Morrissey is better in that genre though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yeah. I absolutely agree with you there. Most of Morrissey's jangle pop demos did become horrible, take "Why don't you find out for yourself?". The demo is far superior than the actual album track. Nobody understands that Morrissey is better in that genre though.

Am I the only one who finds that demo has too many various guitar licks in it that are (very) similar to what were used by Marr in songs such as Girl Afraid and Still Ill?

Edit: Plagiaristically similar at times, talking about the latter!

Last edited:

Am I the only one who finds that demo has too many various guitar licks in it that are (very) similar to what were used by Marr in songs such as Girl Afraid and Still Ill?

I know, but that's what makes it great! Anything that at least tries to sound like Marr is great. Morrissey needs to go back to this type of genre.

help me out, what time do i need to tune in in the central time zone?

Back
Top Bottom