Morrissey recording new Janice Long BBC Radio2 session today ~ Broadcast next week.

Re: Morrissey recording new Janice Long BBC Radio2 session today ~ Broadcast next wee

'The Kid's A Looker' must be one of the weakest songs I've ever heard from Morrissey.

.....However, this style, which continues with these songs, sounds incredibly bland now. It has been done to death by him. I really feel he needs a new musical direction.

Fully agree, apart from 'Sweetie Pie' getting the mbb321 award for weakest song :)

He needs to change the band but don't think Morrissey will reinvent his musical style at the tender age of 52.

Re: Morrissey recording new Janice Long BBC Radio2 session today ~ Broadcast next wee

How does one go about biting their initials into someone's neck? :squiffy: Kinda sounds like he's in a relationsip.

Fully agree, apart from 'Sweetie Pie' getting the mbb321 award for weakest song :)

He needs to change the band but don't think Morrissey will reinvent his musical style at the tender age of 52.

I really should've said sound instead of style :)

Given the lyrics to TKAL, would you say Morrissey is solely responsible for Justin Bieber? :p

Haha I meant the sound more than style also Assassin tbf, it's getting late! :)

I really like Action Is My Middle Name. It's like the hardened, tired, let's-f***-already version of I Won't Share You, with the same semi-innocent mood about it. It's my fave of the three.

I thought 2 of them showed real potential :straightface: especially if they had fewer "la-la"s :o

Kid's a looker = Ian Curtis??? :confused:

Here's my impressions:

1) Action -- my favorite out of the three and worth repeated listens. I liked the piano intro and I really enjoyed the vocal melodies; the song in general is one of his better ones of recent memory. He should definitely get rid of those vocal bits at the end of the song, they aren't needed. The best out of the three!

2) Kid's a Looker -- really didn't do anything for me. Sounded like an outtake of "Years of Refusal" which isn't a good thing! The "La La La's" sounded pretty lazy to me, Moz can do better. Probably a Jesse co-write.

3) People are the Same Everywhere -- much better than Kids a Looker, but just like the previous song Morrissey is once again having to shout over his band to be heard.

With lyrics like the ones on People are the Same Everywhere I'm not sure getting drowned out by the band is such a bad thing. I agree, Action was a very pleasant surprise lyrically.

Everything else has been done better before by Morrissey. The whole thing makes me sad: is there so little left to sing about?

Soooooooooooooo, would you say that "action" is basically a form of moving? Just wondering.

Action is definitely my least favourite of the three but still pretty good.

The La la la's on The Kid's A Looker I think are brilliant, like a funny mocking of the people he's singing about

It is a shame though, he certainly hasn't developed much through time. You look at an artist like Brel and the work he made before he died and it just makes Morrissey's efforts sound so childish.

Still, enjoyed the tracks a lot. People Are The Same Everywhere is genuinely one of my favourite tracks he's written

The best part of three years off and this is the best he can come up with? Every track was God-awful banging, clanging, rent-a-lyric nonsense. A deal is looking as distant as ever.

I would like to point out that the over usage of Laa la laas on The Kid's A Looker is clearly an intentional device to create the impression of talentless whining (similar to We hate it when our friends...). This should be obvious.

Three listens each; I found each enjoyable in their own way. No huge departure from the last few years.

Clearly, "Action...." is the best of the three.

Here is how I rank them:

1. Action is My Middle Name
2. People are the Same Everywhere
3. The Kid's a Looker (seems unfinished)

His voice seems in good form though!

Last edited:

I like them : on first listen I think 'Action' is the best of the three, then 'The Kids A Looker' and 'People Are the Same' is ok...the lyrics to that one haven't grabbed me yet.

I would like to point out that the over usage of Laa la laas on The Kid's A Looker is clearly an intentional device to create the impression of talentless whining (similar to We hate it when our friends...). This should be obvious.

Yeah I got that, and I think we all did.

However the problem is, the "La la la's" don't sound funny or come across well, because the lyrics around it are pretty trite and listless. With 'We Hate It', the other lyrics were funny and interesting and the music was better!

I don't criticise Morrissey much, but the lyrics to this one are rubbish. The last verse is truly awful, it's so forced. I was cringing through all of it.

Last edited:

"Yeah, yeah, yeah."

Thanks for clearing that up. I think. :o

Let's hope he decides not to perform TKAL and PATSE tonight in Perth, but work on them in private on a future rainy day. Perhaps he can brush them up on the ferry to Dunoon. The sea sickness might actually improve those lyrics.
Action... is quite good though. Not sure about the 'undertaker' bit though.

Back
Top Bottom