Morrissey recording new Janice Long BBC Radio2 session today ~ Broadcast next week.

Re: Morrissey recording new Janice Long BBC Radio2 session today ~ Broadcast next wee

Only listened to them a couple of times, but "action is my middle name" kind of reminds me of "I can have both"

That's one of the problems with him these days...almost every new song reminds everyone of an older, better song.

Re: Morrissey recording new Janice Long BBC Radio2 session today ~ Broadcast next wee

Only listened to them a couple of times, but "action is my middle name" kind of reminds me of "I can have both"

Same as I thought, with the Paris piano intro.

I absolutely love the songs!!!Especially "Action Is My Middle Name"
Mmmmmmm...hours of fun....

Why does he have to "evolve." why can't he sing the thoughts he wants to sing in the style he likes? Are you suggesting he's musically ill-advised? That he doesn't have enough experience to know what sounds he likes? This criticism baffles me, it doesn't give his musical intelligence and years in the field any credit.

Why does he have to "evolve." why can't he sing the thoughts he wants to sing in the style he likes? Are you suggesting he's musically ill-advised? That he doesn't have enough experience to know what sounds he likes? This criticism baffles me, it doesn't give his musical intelligence and years in the field any credit.

Because if he doesn't evolve, rather than continuing to devolve, his career is over. No record label exec in their right mind would give him a contract based on material like this...it is weak and not something that will turn a profit in the least. So, obviously, in spite of all his years in the music business, Morrissey DOESN'T know any better...if he did, he wouldn't even consider material like this as worthy of release. He was shelving better songs 14 years ago than any of this recent material...if he had any sense, he would just re-record the shelved songs and try to pass them off as new.

Having heard them several times now on my ipod I can honestly say they start to grow on you and it's far fom top notch material and I stand by my initial point on the poor renditions and Morrissey's voice but with some production and finished lyrics evn though the la la la's are part of the song they can be average to good albumtracks especially action is my middlename!

I dunno - if stuff like Lancashire Home is all that's left in the vault to repackage and peddle to rescue a floundering career then it might be worth packing up your socks and calling it a night.

I dunno - if stuff like Lancashire Home is all that's left in the vault to repackage and peddle to rescue a floundering career then it might be worth packing up your socks and calling it a night.

It isn't all stuff like that...he still has "Kit", "I Know Who I Love", and "Home Is A Question Mark" which are all very strong songs...

"Everyone has a date, a date with an undertaker, a date they cannot break."

LOVE IT!

"Everyone has a date, a date with an undertaker, a date they cannot break."

LOVE IT!

Morrissey wants to be put in the Tombstone Piledriver...
undertaker.jpg

A quote from Neil Hannon from around this time last year:

'Part of the reason I actually still make music is the fact that I'm still trying to get it right. And if you don't feel that you can "evolve" and get better, then you don't really want to do it. There's no particular reason to.'

This coming from the man who wrote "Tonight We Fly" before age 25.

I think I'm the only one who loved all three... shame his voice was a little weak, i'm sure when they're produced for the album they;ll be sound though. HA then again I loved Years of Refusal so I'm must be insane.

I think I'm the only one who loved all three... shame his voice was a little weak, i'm sure when they're produced for the album they;ll be sound though. HA then again I loved Years of Refusal so I'm must be insane.

You are not alone! I loved them too. =)

No I absolutely agree, I think with a bit of polish and a bit of remixing on the instrumental front all three of these could work quite well. I mean none of these are nearly as bad as some of the worst moments off previous albums(One Day, Harsh Truth). And again the record companies are cranking out far worse material, and I bet to a less critical eye any of these would probably help drive an albums sales

A quote from Neil Hannon from around this time last year:

'Part of the reason I actually still make music is the fact that I'm still trying to get it right. And if you don't feel that you can "evolve" and get better, then you don't really want to do it. There's no particular reason to.'

This coming from the man who wrote "Tonight We Fly" before age 25.

On the uvver 'and ~

Morrissey whispered this to Simon Reynolds back in '88:

"Does a notion of "artistic growth" have any place in your scheme?

"Not really. Can you give me an example of where that's happened?"

You're right: in rock and pop, it seems people just have their thing...

"And they hone it. Or they start bad and merely get better. Artistic growth? I don't really have any ambitions to change in any drastic ways. I'm quite satisfied with how I am."

You're satisfied with your dissatisfaction?

"Totally. I couldn't be happier. I don't want anything to interfere with this state of dissatisfaction."

etcetera...

No I absolutely agree, I think with a bit of polish and a bit of remixing on the instrumental front all three of these could work quite well. I mean none of these are nearly as bad as some of the worst moments off previous albums(One Day, Harsh Truth). And again the record companies are cranking out far worse material, and I bet to a less critical eye any of these would probably help drive an albums sales

Absolutely. I think if I were to criticise the tracks at all it would be the musical side of things I'd go for; the power-chording and distortion gets in the way of some of the potential melodic subtleties I feel.

(I will have to disagree with you on 'Harsh Truth', though. :boxing:)

Last edited:

On the uvver 'and ~

Morrissey whispered this to Simon Reynolds back in '88:

"Does a notion of "artistic growth" have any place in your scheme?

"Not really. Can you give me an example of where that's happened?"

You're right: in rock and pop, it seems people just have their thing...

"And they hone it. Or they start bad and merely get better. Artistic growth? I don't really have any ambitions to change in any drastic ways. I'm quite satisfied with how I am."

You're satisfied with your dissatisfaction?

"Totally. I couldn't be happier. I don't want anything to interfere with this state of dissatisfaction."

etcetera...

Dear me..that's quite cyclical in an upsetting way.. :(

I think it's great that Morrissey's making new music. The songs, in my opinion, are not awful or terrible.

However, I do believe that the sound of Morrissey's band should be more melodic and intricate, rather than laden with loud power chords. Just take a look at their rendition of This Charming Man in 2009, for example (which, let it be known, I don't hate; in fact, I'd quite like to hear the song when I see him in ten days).

I feel that Morrissey occasionally has to strain his voice to keep up with the noise and feel of the music.

I'm watching a 2004 performance of Let Me Kiss You right now, and I think the music is just right for the song. Years of Refusal, though - whilst not a bad album at all, in my opinion - often feels too 'chunky' musically.

I think passion needs to go into the music just as strongly as into the lyrics.

Yeah so...that session yesterday. Man. I still can't any of those songs to stay in my head. At least not in a good way.

I asked Mr. Horse what HE thought.

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm not sure if someone has already posted this in one of the several threads about these new songs, but I just noticed on Boz's facebook page that someone asked him if "Action is My Middle Name" is the same as "Action Man." Boz said that this is a new song.

Back
Top Bottom