Morrissey ranks #166 in Rolling Stone's Updated List Of 200 Greatest Singers

He's 166 in the Rolling Stones Best Singers list.

If all Morrissey aspired to be was the voice of Eighties teen misery, he would’ve sealed the deal in the early days of the Smiths. But he wanted more. He quickly bloomed into one of pop’s most emotionally articulate singers, flaunting his wit in classics like “Cemetry Gates” and “Suedehead,” sending high notes to heaven with an ironic kiss. Moz grew up a literary recluse in Northern England, worshipping female singers like Dusty Springfield and Joan Armatrading, but punk rock led him to his own voice. Nobody can top Morrissey when it comes to flamboyantly melancholy ballads, in the grandeur of “I Know It’s Over,” “Now My Heart Is Full,” or his signature song, “There Is a Light That Never Goes Out.”R.S.

UPDATE Jan. 3:

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematically he isn't so far from the list published in 2008. I also like the write-up. They could have gone for a falling-from-the-grace sort of narrative or made snarky comments about his recent -and not so very recent- struggles with record labels and managers but they chose to keep it simple and complimentary.

But the list is in shambles. "Singer" is such a broad term to use. They have included iconic and legendary singers that single-handedly represent a whole genre of Eastern music, such as Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, Lata Mangeshkar and Umm Kulthum among Lady Gaga, Ariana Grande and Rod Stewart. And they ranked lower than them despite the fact that they compete in completely different fields. Or even planets. A different bloody universe.

That cultural division is baffling, but the list wouldn't be methodically correct anyway, even if it was strictly confined to Western pop/blues/jazz/rock 'n' roll. Take French singers for example. No Edith Piaf on the list. Jacques Brel is nowhere to be seen. Charles Aznavour apparently never even existed for RS. Yves Montand? Juliette Gréco? No sight of them at all. What nonsense.

I imagine most of their writers/staff, have fairly limited understandings of the history of music.

I'm shocked that the Central hasn't still picked up on the news. That site usually promotes weekly charts in Kosova or somewhere but no words about it. SER must be nursing a new year hangover.
Or maybe (probably not) Morrissey's New year resolution was to grow a pair and tell "the neph" to wind his neck in.

Morrissey should feel honoured to be in the list of the 200 best singers.
Better than being an outsider at #201.

Rihanna above Roy Orbison... That's all that you need to know about these so called "lists".

Glad to see Jimmy Nail (the Geordie Roy Orbison) make the top 20.

All lists of this sort are utterly pointless...unless it is a Moz-Solo 'What is the best Moz album/single/song/b-side?' list. I like them.

Glad to see Jimmy Nail (the Geordie Roy Orbison) make the top 20.

All lists of this sort are utterly pointless...unless it is a Moz-Solo 'What is the best Moz album/single/song/b-side?' list. I like them.
Ahhh, Crocodile Shoes...remember it well.

Tags
rolling stone

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom