Morrissey Radio 2 live on 11th Feb

I've just got home from the show and you really can't do it justice by hearing it on the radio. The setlist was just unbelievable! At first, I was convinced he was going to do a play through of the album but then Charming Man kicked in and the place just went crazy! Black Cloud is fantastic live and OK By Myself could really close a show well. The audience was a really nice mix of the hardcores and some of the more casual types which I think helped create quite a nice atmosphere inside the theatre. Morrissey was full of banter and really did seem to enjoy it, certainly more so than when I saw the first night at the Roundhouse last year. My favourite little snipe was when he sang the "and the not-very-rich and the very poor" line from First of the Gang, he did a little wave up to all the celebs in the balcony section. Rather amusing...

On the basis of this, the coming tour is going to be something else.

I'm not sure what the BBC policy is for tickets for these things, but I can tell you that you had more chance getting in if you knew nigel, jeremy, pippa or tarquin (annoying London media types) than if you were a genuine lover of Morrissey's work.

Was talking to a presenter from another station who was there, he said he didn't even like Morrissey's music, but just "wanted to be at the event."

So he contacted another media luvvy at the BBC and got 4, yes four, tickets.

Made me hopping mad.

I'm not sure what the BBC policy is for tickets for these things, but I can tell you that you had more chance getting in if you knew nigel, jeremy, pippa or tarquin (annoying London media types) than if you were a genuine lover of Morrissey's work.

Was talking to a presenter from another station who was there, he said he didn't even like Morrissey's music, but just "wanted to be at the event."

So he contacted another media luvvy at the BBC and got 4, yes four, tickets.

Made me hopping mad.

I saw XFM's Ian Camfield came with other five people which made me livid. :mad:

MarK Radcliffe and Stuart Maconi were apologetic which explains what Walter said.

Nice set, but surely there will be many more hits on the tour.

This Charming Man didn't sound half like Lust For Life. Odd. Like the Peel version on amphetamines.

Morrissey's looseness with the chorus of Best Friend on the Payroll was enjoyable.

Nice rendition of Seasick - Jesse didn't cock up a slowie! Nor did the previously inept Farrell fill-in.

Scupper Crashing Bores and we're getting there.

I Keep Mine Hidden - talk about left field! The rumormongers will jump all over the Johnny Marr significance.

Thanks to those who posted the mp3s.

Cheers,
Jamie

I ll put up the concert later,i bloody missed about 10 mins of the interview. Would it be best to put it in flac format? i dont know alot about such things?,i m transferring it from my digibox. Incidentaly was that Skinneys voice shouting out "work is a four letter word?" after i keep mine hidden?

Alan

Listened last night, great stuff. can't wait for the 3 shows I'm gonna see in early May, now.

"Best Friend on the Payroll" was a very, very nice surprise...the new songs sound good as well (I haven't downloaded anything, waiting for the release).

But...what the hell was the keyboard played doing at the end of "Why Don't You Find out for Yourself?" Sounded dreadful, and a long way off from eth superlative swaggering version from those b-sides last year...

Thank you for the uploads.

If I had been there, I'd have gone mad about this as well, even if I had got tickets.

On second thought: I cannot imagine what would have happened if Morrissey had pulled out of this one as well under these circumstances. I suppose the positive side is that now it is a bit more known how all this ticket distribution works out with the BBC.

It was really really bad last night, the women onthe desk said that a few people would stay for the drinks then leave before the gig. This makes me sad whenever a new album is relased you have all this then come the third night at Brixton it will just be the loyal ones left....again.

Slightly off topic - The One Show - what is that all about? I know, I know he has to do it but my love for him died a little when I heard that.

The new, souped-up Garagesque "This Charming Man" sounds fantastic. I think old songs should be reintepreted like this because otherwise they can just sound like tribute band copycat versions. Those saying it lacks the original riff are missing the point that it has been purposefully reinvented for the 21st Century. And "Best Friend On The Payroll" sounds great too!

The new, souped-up Garagesque "This Charming Man" sounds fantastic. I think old songs should be reintepreted like this because otherwise they can just sound like tribute band copycat versions. Those saying it lacks the original riff are missing the point that it has been purposefully reinvented for the 21st Century. And "Best Friend On The Payroll" sounds great too!

Yes, I thought this too. It wouldn't be quite right if Jesse played it just like Marr did. (Would he even be able to?)

I keep mine hidden?!?! Ever played before? Insanity.

Really do not like their version of This Charming Man. Should have left it alone.

I liked the new Charming Man. I think Morrissey in the past has been far too respectful of his back catalogue. He should muck about with the songs more. I hope he does a few more like this to annoy the purists.

About last night

Well...

Parked car in North London, and tube into central London - met up with the very excellent Paulthepig, who is a gentleman indeed. Walked up to Broadcasting house at about 3:30pm, and there was already a queue. Nuts to that think we, and go round the corner for a couple of pints. Come back, and we're told that Moz has just been to say hello to the folk in the queue, then popped inside. The waiting was not easy - freezing, rain - not good. Could see Artruro inside checking on the queue. With about 30 minutes to go a camera crew appeared and began interviewing folk in the queue for next Monday's One Show (BBC1, 7pm) - they wanted some vox-pops for the Morrissey segment. The 'OBEY' t-shirt made an appearance. Anyway, when inside we went through the airport security to a holding area, for a beer or two (expensive). One of the BBC ladies asked what I had in my pocket (oo-err) - it was a spare t-shirt. Would I like to get it to Morrissey, she asked? So I wrote a note on the plastic outer, and off she went with it. Anyway - in we pile to the theatre. Now - you'll probably see a lot of these on the upcoming tour - the pre-show videos. There was Vince Taylor (Whole Lot Of Twistin'), New York Dolls (Looking For A Kiss), the clip of David Johansen and his 'Turkish Tobacco' - there were others too - three separate clips of the band Shocking Blue playing 'Venus', 'Inkpot' and one other I couldn't name. The bass drum had on it the spangly butterfly from the baby's head, and the backdrop was new and different - A big musclebound sailor flexing his arms, chewing a fat cigar, and with a sailors hat on - with the word "REFUSAL" across his chest. As for the set - it's all been said elsewhere, and it was a beaut. Best Moz gig I've ever been to. I want to put a word in for Jesse who was absolutely shit-hot top of his game, terrific stuff. Mr Pooley looked like Thunderbird's Brains in his big specs, offset by the multitidinous tattoos. It was all being filmed as well, a camera each side of the stage, and one in the balcony (where the celebs and special guests were - Simon Armitage and David Walliams were there). Anyhoo, that was that. And off we went. A fantabulous night.

Peter

P.S has it been noted that Moz sang "In the absence of your spotty face..."

P.P.S Well done to 'Crimes' who got the VIP treatment (thanks for the text - pfft), and many, many consolations to Kewpie, who waited in the cold and rain far too long for no reward. Poor love.

Last edited:
ahh thanks Peter

53254_2.jpg

53250_2.jpg

More here!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/shows/radcliffemaconie/galleries/4162/1/#gallery4162

Tags
i can tag too pish shite. this charming man
Back
Top Bottom