Morrissey prefers his pints cold? Cary Caldwell (SXSW manager of planning) story in stuff.co.nz

Story about Morrissey not coming on stage at SXSW until he knew the temperature of his beer.

National Portrait: Kiwi's life with 'music stars, secret service and CIA' - stuff.co.nz

Excerpt:

Morrissey had a problem.

The Englishman, former frontman for The Smiths, was scheduled to speak at the prestigious South by Southwest (SXSW) festival in Austin, Texas.

..."The room was full of 800 people waiting for Morrissey to do an interview," explains Christchurch man Cary Caldwell, who works behind the scenes as SXSW manager of planning.

"One of his managers came out and said to me 'Morrissey can't go on because he's got no idea what the temperature of his beer is'."

"I said 'Take his beer's temperature? No, no, not at all'.

"He said 'this could be a deal breaker, he could pull the interview'. I said 'OK, fine, let me know' and started walking away. The guy came running after me, I said 'dude pull the show or don't pull the show. If you want to pull the show let me know and we'll get up on stage in front of all the reporters and say Morrissey isn't going to speak because we couldn't measure the temperature of his beer'."

Morrissey duly got on stage, with journalists from around the world none the wiser.

45087_cary_caldwell.jpg

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
You're all missing the salient point. He's a whiny f***er.
f*** the diplomacy. You’re FAR too kind. He’s a tiny, bitter, spoon-fed, momma’s-boy, f***-tard.

Only thing that could possibly restore his worth as a human being is the proper shit-kicking he’s so desperately lacking.

I prefer my beer warm, especially in winter when I'm in some chilly beer garden, cos I can't vape indoors. But then I only drink to get drunk so the taste's irrelevant. I also swirl it around to get rid of the fizz. That's why I switched to red wine in Winter, because its usually at room temperature, but that made me puke. So now I drink vodka and soda, with no ice, because someone told me that the paler the drink, the less of a hangover I'll have in the morning. There is a scientific reason for this, but I can't remember what it was! I can't be doing with these people who turn their nose up at a 'bad pint' and demand another one. No one would drink alcohol for the taste alone. These people are the ones who can't accept that they drink to disguise their social failings like the rest of us, and somehow make out they actually enjoy what they're doing. At least I take a drug honestly and for the purpose it's designed for. ie to take as much as possible without actually killing myself. No heroin addict only shoots up half way on account of their health. Social drinking is a myth. Talking to people is being sociable. Drug taking is just drug taking however small the dose. If there's any doubt that it's all about the drug and not the experience, where are all the soft drink connoisseurs, where's the campaign for real fruit juice! It's like people who play with their food and forget that it's there to fill their belly. Use things for what theyre intended. A drugs a drug, it's there to alter your mind, not please your palate. It makes me laugh how we're told to 'always drink responsibly' Not getting drunk would be drinking irresponsibly for me, and a blatant misuse of alcohol!

Last edited by a moderator:
Blikey mate! Where the f*** is New Zeeland? Sounds like a place in Fantasy Land at Disneyland. I reckon is this supposed to be a lad winding it up mate?

A friend of mine, quite connected in the recording business, once told me that when Morrissey was recording at Hook End Manor around the time of Ouija Board he refused to come down one morning unless they found him a hairdresser.

Not knowing where to get hold of one at such short notice they instead asked the woman they employed to come in and make the food to pretend to be a hairdresser. She popped home, grabbed some scissors and odd and ends and returned promptly not as a cook, but as a hair stylist.

Morrissey happy. Recording session could begin.

As if a twat like you has any friends!!

I prefer my beer warm, especially in winter when I'm in some chilly beer garden, cos I can't vape indoors. But then I only drink to get drunk so the taste's irrelevant. I also swirl it around to get rid of the fizz. That's why I switched to red wine in Winter, because its usually at room temperature, but that made me puke. So now I drink vodka and soda, with no ice, because someone told me that the paler the drink, the less of a hangover I'll have in the morning. There is a scientific reason for this, but I can't remember what it was! I can't be doing with these people who turn their nose up at a 'bad pint' and demand another one. No one would drink alcohol for the taste alone. These people are the ones who can't accept that they drink to disguise their social failings like the rest of us, and somehow make out they actually enjoy what they're doing. At least I take a drug honestly and for the purpose it's designed for. ie to take as much as possible without actually killing myself. No heroin addict only shoots up half way on account of their health. Social drinking is a myth. Talking to people is being sociable. Drug taking is just drug taking however small the dose. If there's any doubt that it's all about the drug and not the experience, where are all the soft drink connoisseurs, where's the campaign for real fruit juice! It's like people who play with their food and forget that it's there to fill their belly. Use things for what theyre intended. A drugs a drug, it's there to alter your mind, not please your palate. It makes me laugh how we're told to 'always drink responsibly' Not getting drunk would be drinking irresponsibly for me, and a blatant misuse of alcohol!

Loads of junkie’s shoot up halfway. All day, every day. ...just to survive. Many have and do lead long, successful lives by doing so. If you’re hooked on mother, that’s the nature of the drug. I’m not quite sure what the f*** you’re on about there, professor - but your keyboard strokes are running faster than your knowledge.

Loads of junkie’s shoot up halfway. All day, every day. ...just to survive. Many have and do lead long, successful lives by doing so. If you’re hooked on mother, that’s the nature of the drug. I’m not quite sure what the f*** you’re on about there, professor - but your keyboard strokes are running faster than your knowledge.
I don't piffle with facts if they get in the way of a good argument.

According to Noel Gallagher, when offered a drink backstage at a Oasis gig, Morrissey had a pint glass three quarters filled with vodka with a splash of tonic. I'm therefore surprised that he'd turn his nose up at a lukewarm beer.

f*** the diplomacy. You’re FAR too kind. He’s a tiny, bitter, spoon-fed, momma’s-boy, f***-tard.

Only thing that could possibly restore his worth as a human being is the proper shit-kicking he’s so desperately lacking.

Does a shit-packing count?

I feel like at some point the Coen’s lost something about their style they haven’t managed to get back. I think their peak ended with ‘O Brother Where Art Thou?’...not to say they didn’t have good films after that, but I feel they changed their filmmaking style after that.

My favourite is probably Barton Fink but I think you're right (although I do like the Man Who Wasn't There) their 80s and 90s films were mostly imperious pieces of filmmaking

My favourite is probably Barton Fink but I think you're right (although I do like the Man Who Wasn't There) their 80s and 90s films were mostly imperious pieces of filmmaking

Barton Fink used to be my favorite until I rewatched Millers Crossing as an adult. I don’t know how much I’d like Fink though if John Goodman wasn’t in it. He adds so much to that film with such a small part.

I think maybe a lot of it had to do with the quality of actors. They got old and the Coens relegated them to less prominent roles. I’m sure some will disagree, but I’d take people like Goodman, Turturro, Buscemi, and McDormand over Clooney, Pitt, Bardem and Brolin any day of the week.

Story about Morrissey not coming on stage at SXSW until he knew the temperature of his beer.

National Portrait: Kiwi's life with 'music stars, secret service and CIA' - stuff.co.nz

Excerpt:

Morrissey had a problem.

The Englishman, former frontman for The Smiths, was scheduled to speak at the prestigious South by Southwest (SXSW) festival in Austin, Texas.

..."The room was full of 800 people waiting for Morrissey to do an interview," explains Christchurch man Cary Caldwell, who works behind the scenes as SXSW manager of planning.

"One of his managers came out and said to me 'Morrissey can't go on because he's got no idea what the temperature of his beer is'."

"I said 'Take his beer's temperature? No, no, not at all'.

"He said 'this could be a deal breaker, he could pull the interview'. I said 'OK, fine, let me know' and started walking away. The guy came running after me, I said 'dude pull the show or don't pull the show. If you want to pull the show let me know and we'll get up on stage in front of all the reporters and say Morrissey isn't going to speak because we couldn't measure the temperature of his beer'."

Morrissey duly got on stage, with journalists from around the world none the wiser.

45087_cary_caldwell.jpg

Related item:
Very smug tone to the article, like he really put. Morrissey in his place.
His photo with "creepy" Joe Biden as he's known doesn't endear him to me either.

Very smug tone to the article, like he really put. Morrissey in his place.
His photo with "creepy" Joe Biden as he's known doesn't endear him to me either.
If true, don't you think someone demanding to have the temperature of their beer measured deserves to be put in their place?

If true, don't you think someone demanding to have the temperature of their beer measured deserves to be put in their place?
No, I think it's perfectly reasonable to keep 800 people waiting over a warn beer.:paranoid:
I don't believe it's true anyway.
It's one of those stories people tell to get their little whiff of fame. It's not worth refuting and if Morrissey's camp did it would grow legs.
I'd believe it if it was Mariah Carey Apparently she doesn't do stairs
Presumably she has to be thrown onto a plane by the baggage handlers.

Dearie me. Someone got up on the wrong side of the bed.

You're all missing the salient point. He's a whiny f***er.

A work break habit now, to read Uncle Skinnies joyous outbursts of love, peace and happiness. "Death -threats", are sure to be round the bend, they will.

A work break habit now, to read Uncle Skinnies joyous outbursts of love, peace and happiness. "Death -threats", are sure to be round the bend, they will.

You're not alone. I think most people only come here to read Peter's posts and thank the good Lord that, no matter what they do or say, they will never, ever be as big a twat as he is.

Viz magazine have now based two characters on Peter (Mail Online and Terry f***wit). He's a goldmine of material.

You do know Morrissey is gay, right?

gay? that's news to us. Now, I'd prefer if more people were gay, but a much wider field to play in would be humasexuality, and that's where Morrissey plays.

:cool:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom