Morrissey prefers his pints cold? Cary Caldwell (SXSW manager of planning) story in stuff.co.nz

Story about Morrissey not coming on stage at SXSW until he knew the temperature of his beer.

National Portrait: Kiwi's life with 'music stars, secret service and CIA' - stuff.co.nz

Excerpt:

Morrissey had a problem.

The Englishman, former frontman for The Smiths, was scheduled to speak at the prestigious South by Southwest (SXSW) festival in Austin, Texas.

..."The room was full of 800 people waiting for Morrissey to do an interview," explains Christchurch man Cary Caldwell, who works behind the scenes as SXSW manager of planning.

"One of his managers came out and said to me 'Morrissey can't go on because he's got no idea what the temperature of his beer is'."

"I said 'Take his beer's temperature? No, no, not at all'.

"He said 'this could be a deal breaker, he could pull the interview'. I said 'OK, fine, let me know' and started walking away. The guy came running after me, I said 'dude pull the show or don't pull the show. If you want to pull the show let me know and we'll get up on stage in front of all the reporters and say Morrissey isn't going to speak because we couldn't measure the temperature of his beer'."

Morrissey duly got on stage, with journalists from around the world none the wiser.

45087_cary_caldwell.jpg

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
There's not much I tend to agree with Morrissey on, these days, but I'm with him on this one. Warm beer- and PARTICULARLY warm, real ale- is a crime against Humanity, :(
Yeah but not only was he getting it free he was also being paid for the interview (surely?). How many times have we paid for a beer in a pub only to be handed a bottle of warm panther piss?

warm beer is that not an English thing,mine has to taste like its been brewed in the arctic.
Is starting a sentence with a lower case letter and no spaces after commas an "English thing" too?
There's not much I tend to agree with Morrissey on, these days, but I'm with him on this one. Warm beer- and PARTICULARLY warm, real ale- is a crime against Humanity, :(
The shit wasn't warm. He wanted to know how "cold" it was because he is autistic.

Is there anything likeable about Morrissey anymore?

I mean, now that the music's become an afterthought, it's as if we can now see him for who he really is instead of the terrible friend we wish we had.

Story about Morrissey not coming on stage at SXSW until he knew the temperature of his beer.

National Portrait: Kiwi's life with 'music stars, secret service and CIA' - stuff.co.nz

Excerpt:

Morrissey had a problem.

The Englishman, former frontman for The Smiths, was scheduled to speak at the prestigious South by Southwest (SXSW) festival in Austin, Texas.

..."The room was full of 800 people waiting for Morrissey to do an interview," explains Christchurch man Cary Caldwell, who works behind the scenes as SXSW manager of planning.

"One of his managers came out and said to me 'Morrissey can't go on because he's got no idea what the temperature of his beer is'."

"I said 'Take his beer's temperature? No, no, not at all'.

"He said 'this could be a deal breaker, he could pull the interview'. I said 'OK, fine, let me know' and started walking away. The guy came running after me, I said 'dude pull the show or don't pull the show. If you want to pull the show let me know and we'll get up on stage in front of all the reporters and say Morrissey isn't going to speak because we couldn't measure the temperature of his beer'."

Morrissey duly got on stage, with journalists from around the world none the wiser.

45087_cary_caldwell.jpg

Related item:

He looks like a smug c***. One of those 50 something guys that like to talk about how into the 80s punk scene they were, like anyone gives a f***. Probably hits on 22 year old women at bars, gets shot down, goes home and beats off and listens to Joe Rogan.

c***.

He looks like a smug c***. One of those 50 something guys that like to talk about how into the 80s punk scene they were, like anyone gives a f***. Probably hits on 22 year old women at bars, gets shot down, goes home and beats off and listens to Joe Rogan.

c***.

It’s totally ok to do all this though if you’re still in your early 30s and only watch Joe Rogan clips on YouTube, right........right?

You're all missing the salient point. He's a whiny f***er.

Very true who cares what tempature it is as long as it’s f***ing cold, I honestly believe he gets a kick out of people panicking trying to go out if they’re way for him but bravo to this guy who pretty much said I don’t give a f*** if he does or doesn’t just let me know because if he doesn’t I’m just gonna toss his ass under the bus with the truth.

I’ll have to give that a watch. I still have to check out that Coen Brothers film as well on there.
My son was just telling me about that; I didn't even know there was one. Last Summer we went through all of their films together, or damn near all. I think we're going to watch the new one on Saturday. He says it's a Western, I think?...

My son was just telling me about that; I didn't even know there was one. Last Summer we went through all of their films together, or damn near all. I think we're going to watch the new one on Saturday. He says it's a Western, I think?...

Yeah, all I know about it is that it’s a western and Tom Waits is in it. That’s good enough for me. Upon reviewing their films again I’d say ‘Millers Crossing’ is probably my favorite of their films.

c***.
You do know Morrissey is gay, right?

I had not seen it until that viewing and it was gorgeous.

I feel like at some point the Coen’s lost something about their style they haven’t managed to get back. I think their peak ended with ‘O Brother Where Art Thou?’...not to say they didn’t have good films after that, but I feel they changed their filmmaking style after that.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom