Morrissey prefers his pints cold? Cary Caldwell (SXSW manager of planning) story in stuff.co.nz

Story about Morrissey not coming on stage at SXSW until he knew the temperature of his beer.

National Portrait: Kiwi's life with 'music stars, secret service and CIA' - stuff.co.nz

Excerpt:

Morrissey had a problem.

The Englishman, former frontman for The Smiths, was scheduled to speak at the prestigious South by Southwest (SXSW) festival in Austin, Texas.

..."The room was full of 800 people waiting for Morrissey to do an interview," explains Christchurch man Cary Caldwell, who works behind the scenes as SXSW manager of planning.

"One of his managers came out and said to me 'Morrissey can't go on because he's got no idea what the temperature of his beer is'."

"I said 'Take his beer's temperature? No, no, not at all'.

"He said 'this could be a deal breaker, he could pull the interview'. I said 'OK, fine, let me know' and started walking away. The guy came running after me, I said 'dude pull the show or don't pull the show. If you want to pull the show let me know and we'll get up on stage in front of all the reporters and say Morrissey isn't going to speak because we couldn't measure the temperature of his beer'."

Morrissey duly got on stage, with journalists from around the world none the wiser.

45087_cary_caldwell.jpg

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
gay? that's news to us. Now, I'd prefer if more people were gay, but a much wider field to play in would be humasexuality, and that's where Morrissey plays.

:cool:

I always thought he was bi-sexual - he likes men and boys.

Shame they didn't have a rectal thermometer on hand.

Someone had one up their ass, and it wasn’t Morrissey.

Big f**cking deal, someone wants to make sure their beer is cold so they can relax and do the interview. And his manager, why in hell didn’t he just go over to the table and check if the beer there was cold or not?

Ridiculous.

Big f**cking deal, someone wants to make sure their beer is cold so they can relax and do the interview. And his manager, why in hell didn’t he just go over to the table and check if the beer there was cold or not?

Ridiculous.
To be completely fair, I'd make the same comment about anybody doing this. I'm not a very understanding person when it comes to leaving people waiting or canceling over silly things like beer temp.
That being said, this could just be BS out of Mr. Caldwell. Or Morrissey's manager could just be a drama queen.

To be completely fair, I'd make the same comment about anybody doing this. I'm not a very understanding person when it comes to leaving people waiting or canceling over silly things like beer temp.
That being said, this could just be BS out of Mr. Caldwell. Or Morrissey's manager could just be a drama queen.

Morrissey makes thousands wait almost every night. So if he used the excuse of someone to go out and check if his beer is cold.. so what, that’s show biz, and Morrissey knows how to work peoples anticipation.

Sure his manager just went back and told Morrissey his beer is fine, crossing his fingers the whole time praying it was cold. :lbf:

Morrissey makes thousands wait almost every night. So if he used the excuse of someone to go out and check if his beer is cold.. so what, that’s show biz, and Morrissey knows how to work peoples anticipation.

Sure his manager just went back and told Morrissey his beer is fine, crossing his fingers the whole time praying it was cold. :lbf:
I think if making people wait were to be represented by a little jar of M&Ms, then Morrissey ate all of his up years ago and maybe he should lay off of the M&Ms for a while. :lbf:

I laughed when Danzig threw a fit over French onion soup and a slice of chocolate cake, I laugh at things like this. It's all somehow beneath them.

I think if making people wait were to be represented by a little jar of M&Ms, then Morrissey ate all of his up years ago and maybe he should lay off of the M&Ms for a while. :lbf:

I laughed when Danzig threw a fit over French onion soup and a slice of chocolate cake, I laugh at things like this. It's all somehow beneath them.

really ?

People are still waiting for Morrissey, and the waiting is a part of the excitement, and people are still very excited to experience what he has to offer, and what he has to offer IS special, and gifted people have their quirks.

As always, for those that don’t care to understand these kind of people...take it or leave it. It’s usually the less talented (non-artistic) that simply can’t understand.

I don’t know what Danzig’s story is so... no comment.

really ?

People are still waiting for Morrissey, and the waiting is a part of the excitement, and people are still very excited to experience what he has to offer, and what he has to offer IS special, and gifted people have their quirks.

As always, for those that don’t care to understand these kind of people...take it or leave it. It’s usually the less talented (non-artistic) that simply can’t understand.

I don’t know what Danzig’s story is so... no comment.
I think Danzig's story is that he really likes Elvis Presley and Satanism, so he smushed them together and made a career of it.

Ridiculous.

How do you know what Morrissey had up his ass? Relax.(don't do it) If there is nothing wrong with being gay or humasexual or whatever then a thermometer up the ass is just a medical fetish. Stop kink-shaming.

I always thought he was bi-sexual - he likes men and boys.
Really. The only reference I have heard is he likened animal abuse to paedophilia which would indicate he doesn't "like" boys in the way you are inferring.
And I think the term is humasexual.

I think Danzig's story is that he really likes Elvis Presley and Satanism, so he smushed them together and made a career of it.

I don’t think it was such a conscious planned strategy on his part to meld those two influences in order to form a career, I get the sense he would still be singing even if he never
became known.

Though I like the Misfit stuff. I was talking about his soup cake episode, not that I’m really interested, and would like to keep it a mystery.

Quirks, we all have them, but they seem to get blown out of proportion when scrutinized under the public spotlight. It’s easy to see how they can bother most people, but if I love an artist or a close friend, I look at it as part of their charm, however temporarily annoying. :lbf:

I don’t think it was such a conscious planned strategy on his part to meld those two influences in order to form a career, I get the sense he would still be singing even if he never
became known.

Though I like the Misfit stuff. I was talking about his soup cake episode, not that I’m really interested, and would like to keep it a mystery.

Quirks, we all have them, but they seem to get blown out of proportion when scrutinized under the public spotlight. It’s easy to see how they can bother most people, but if I love an artist or a close friend, I look at it as part of their charm, however temporarily annoying. :lbf:
I get you. I like the Misfits and despite its corniness, I really like Lucifuge for its swampy bayou sound. I think Danzig and the Cramps both come from similar places- a love of horror and sci-fi, but the Cramps went with campy, and Danzig went with a semi-serious horror/devil theme.

When it comes to quirks, we all have them, but if I were to throw a tantrum at my wife for a warm beer or lack of soup, that would be considered abusive. I think that's where I don't understand celebrities behaving badly.
I've never experienced the urge to pout or shout over food or beverage. Except for that one time I spilled soup on my crotch years ago, but that was a different story.

How do you know what Morrissey had up his ass? Relax.(don't do it) If there is nothing wrong with being gay or humasexual or whatever then a thermometer up the ass is just a medical fetish. Stop kink-shaming.

I didn’t say Morrissey had something up his ass. Reread my post.

In Moz's defense, the drama may be coming from the tour manager. As a promoter, I dealt with him a few years ago on a Moz show in the US and the manager was a total dick. So it wouldn't be beyond imagination that he 'leverages' his position as Moz's handler to try to make people jump when he says jump.

There's not much I tend to agree with Morrissey on, these days, but I'm with him on this one. Warm beer- and PARTICULARLY warm, real ale- is a crime against Humanity, :(
Same here. I just love how these posts are supposed to be taken at face value with no thought of context or whether they happened or not. If someone served me a warm beer I'd make a joke referring to the temperature and like most humourless people taking it literally I'd continue with the joke until I had to confess. We all know Morrissey has a irreverent sense of humour. Is it that unlikely this was a joke that went over someone's head?

I didn’t say Morrissey had something up his ass. Reread my post.
Yo G, I read it the first time. You said someone had etc etc but it wasn't Morrissey, so technically you didn't say what he did but what he did not, and still the question is how'dja know?

Really. The only reference I have heard is he likened animal abuse to paedophilia which would indicate he doesn't "like" boys in the way you are inferring.
And I think the term is humasexual.

A boy in the bush
Is worth two in the hand
I think I can help you get through your exams
Oh, you handsome devil

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom