Morrissey & Pet Shop Boys

P

Paninaro

It baffles me that Morrissey has never worked with Chris Lowe or/and Neil Tennant on a record.

I think it would make for a fantastic collaboration even if the boys style contrast Morrisseys quite a bit. I reallyy rate their output from 1986 all the way to 1993 (Modern stuff is quite hit or miss)

Would be great to even hear Morrissey cover asong like Kings Cross, Do I Have To, The End Of The World, My October Symphony, Paninaro, Shameless, In The Night.

I'm not sure a track about scooter boys in Italy would be something he leapt at covering given previous events :)
Regards,
FWD.

It baffles me that Morrissey has never worked with Chris Lowe or/and Neil Tennant on a record.

I think it would make for a fantastic collaboration even if the boys style contrast Morrisseys quite a bit. I reallyy rate their output from 1986 all the way to 1993 (Modern stuff is quite hit or miss)

Would be great to even hear Morrissey cover asong like Kings Cross, Do I Have To, The End Of The World, My October Symphony, Paninaro, Shameless, In The Night.

Considering that Neil Tennant said in an interview that his song with Electronic, "Getting Away with It" was written about Morrissey and the Pet Shop Boys' long association with Johnny Marr, I'd say a collaboration with the Mozzer was not in the cards.

love SUBURBIA,great song and great music and just a great pop song.think M duetting with anybody is long gone.

love SUBURBIA,great song and great music and just a great pop song.think M duetting with anybody is long gone.

Isn’t he doing a track with what’s her name on the new one (I’m blanking at the moment). Considering he’s said in the past that hes not a fan of the music of the pet shop boys though he seemed to indicate that he liked Neil I find it unlikely. Things change though I guess

There are fantastic later PSB records, too, like "Electric".

A Moz collab WAS in the cards, or at least they were asked about it every now and then and remember specifically regarding "Love is a catastrophe" Neil mentioned he could imagine Morrissey singing it, or something to that effect. Obviously it's not their call, as we all know well.

I remember Morrissey saying once, that while PSB's music is too synth-heavy to his liking, he recognizes they have similar goals and respects especially Neil Tennant as a lyricist.

“We’re ‘The Smiths’ you can dance to.” Neil Tennant, 1988.

I used to sell PSB records a very long time ago. It was very lucrative and funded all my Morrissey collecting/gigs.
For fear of a turban emoji, I actually liked the 'Release' album featuring Mr.Marr.
Regards,
FWD.

I do get his point that Pet Shop Boys were press darlings in the eighties but a) they truly deserved it with an armada of some greatest pop music ever written and b) Morrissey didn't have it so bad either. It's just his persecution complex that prevents him from seeing how much The Smiths were lauded by the music press and that the negative things were all because of his own comments in interviews.

The comment I remember is from the recent years. I guess nowadays he sees Pet Shop Boys as his fellow survivors and purveyers of intelligent pop from the eighties. There are very few bands who have been consistently around from those years without ever breaking up or taking some time off. Even Morrissey has spent some time in the wilderness.

Morrissey was bitter about Electronic but I remember him saying something like, "At least Neil Tennant has a modicum of intelligence!" (as opposed to Barney Sumner who he thought was thick as bricks). He and Neil had some of the same social circle for a while I think. It would be great for them to work together - but Neil did stab Moz a bit with "Getting Away with It" and "Miserablism".

I remember Neil Tenant stating that Morrissey would be perfect for permorming It’s a sin on Top of the Pops; I think he was right.

Yeah he might have something of a complex but he was in fact being publicly harassed there a bit. I also just don’t think he’s a big fan of electronic music especially the eighties version

Yeah he might have something of a complex but he was in fact being publicly harassed there a bit. I also just don’t think he’s a big fan of electronic music especially the eighties version

That's true, although he did like a-ha quite a lot. And for a good reason: they are such an underrated band. Pål Waaktaar is a great songwriter.

I interviewed Pet Shop Boys in London in 2006 when their album Fundamental came out. After the interview Neil asked me out of the blue, what did I think of the then new Morrissey album (Ringleader, of course). I was taken aback and asked why did he ask me that. "You look exactly like someone who must like Morrissey", he said with a smile on his face. Apparently Chris loved the album, Neil hadn't made his mind up yet. They were brilliant interviewees: courteous, funny and endlessly quotable. And yes, I'm a huge PSB fan -- I would say they are my fave group ever.

Morrissey was bitter about Electronic but I remember him saying something like, "At least Neil Tennant has a modicum of intelligence!" (as opposed to Barney Sumner who he thought was thick as bricks). He and Neil had some of the same social circle for a while I think. It would be great for them to work together - but Neil did stab Moz a bit with "Getting Away with It" and "Miserablism".

Who did he hang around with in the same social circle
I heard m moved in an entirely different social circle
I don't think he liked PSB much. Though Neil seems obsessed with m

Who did he hang around with in the same social circle
I heard m moved in an entirely different social circle
I don't think he liked PSB much. Though Neil seems obsessed with m

I don't think he is "obsessed" per se. There are overlaps in their fanbase, art, so of course he gets asked every now and then. Plus Morrissey being an easy target, Neil Tennant made some funny digs at him. He is very intelligent, i'd risk to say far more Morrissey ever been, so anyone missing out on PSB is their loss.

I don't think he is "obsessed" per se. There are overlaps in their fanbase, art, so of course he gets asked every now and then. Plus Morrissey being an easy target, Neil Tennant made some funny digs at him. He is very intelligent, i'd risk to say far more Morrissey ever been, so anyone missing out on PSB is their loss.

Neil often mentions him, also he has written two songs about him. On the other hand Moz couldn't care less about that lot. Neil wishes he had half the charisma moz has.
Not doing things with the PSB is hardly ever going to be one of Mozzers regrets.
I expect, like Jarvis, Neil is much more intelligent than moz in a uni student way, the intelligence Moz has is way more rare and valuable.

I was on Allys FB page and he and James Maker (them two are very funny when they chat) and they were talking about PSB, James said he isnt a fan of theirs, although he liked a song, Ally called them 'Sparks for boring people' Maybe unfair but he has a point.

Neil often mentions him, also he has written two songs about him. On the other hand Moz couldn't care less about that lot. Neil wishes he had half the charisma moz has.
Not doing things with the PSB is hardly ever going to be one of Mozzers regrets.
I expect, like Jarvis, Neil is much more intelligent than moz in a uni student way, the intelligence Moz has is way more rare and valuable.

I was on Allys FB page and he and James Maker (them two are very funny when they chat) and they were talking about PSB, James said he isnt a fan of theirs, although he liked a song, Ally called them 'Sparks for boring people' Maybe unfair but he has a point.

Well, since we are on a Morrissey forum, let me point out how many times he himself goes on about the power and importance of brilliant pop songs. And, full respect to Sparks, they come nowehere near to the number of brilliant pop songs PSB released. So I think the aboe quote might sound witty but not true.

Well, since we are on a Morrissey forum, let me point out how many times he himself goes on about the power and importance of brilliant pop songs. And, full respect to Sparks, they come nowehere near to the number of brilliant pop songs PSB released. So I think the aboe quote might sound witty but not true.

Well put. Neil can be bitchy, but I have never took anything that he has said about Morrissey as mean-spirited or spiteful. Everything he has said has been delivered with affection. He utterly loves pop music and Morrissey is not only his contemporary but a prominent figure in pop, so obviously Neil has had him in his radar for decades. That doesn't mean that he's obsessed with Moz or that he wished he had his charisma. In all his interviews he seems very content and has remained constantly productive for over thirty years.

As for Sparks, I rate them quite high, but I've always had a hard time making an emotional connection with their music in the same way as I do with PSB's output. When Do I Get To Sing My Way? is a brilliant pop song, that should have been a number one hit (at the time when charts mattered), but most of Maels' stuff comes across as too clever metacommentary about pop instead of actually doing the things that a good pop song does.

Back
Top Bottom