Morrissey...one of the 100 Greatest Singers of All Time - Consequence Of Sound

FWIW

The 100 Greatest Singers of All Time - Consequence Of Sound
These are the voices that continue to touch, console, inspire, and empower us

It’s been observed that pop-culture writers have a penchant for ranking anything and everything. We’re cited for spending countless hours trying to assess, sort, and file that which seems patently subjective or, far more damning, so beautiful, transcendent, or numinous as to be above slotting on a mere list...

Artists

Last edited by a moderator:
What safe, boring list...

Robert Smith, though? Has he been included just to keep goths and asthmatics happy?

bryan ferry in his day had a great voice.could be strong one song and an angel on others.a singer should have more than one voice for different moods and styles.

Meloy is a very professional singer but his voice while being good isn't all that strong at times. I love the decemberists though. One of my fav bands. Maynard is another weird one I think. Chooses some interesting vocal melodies but not the strongest voice imo

The Decemberists live...pretty much the perfect evening. Yes, Colin is no Sinatra, but he reduced 3000 men, women and inbetweeners to tears when he sang The Hazards of Love (The Drowned). On a par with Moz singing Come Back to Camden in London in 2011.

The Decemberists live...pretty much the perfect evening. Yes, Colin is no Sinatra, but he reduced 3000 men, women and inbetweeners to tears when he sang The Hazards of Love (The Drowned). On a par with Moz singing Come Back to Camden in London in 2011.

I saw them on that tour at merry weather pavilion. He's pretty spot on live and like I said very professional with his tenor but his range and power is limited which is life. His song writing and lyrics are amazing though. I think they covered Kansas at the show I attended which was funny

Wait a minute! They just forgot to include a voice who has been praised by Morrissey, Johnny Marr, Jeff Buckley, PJ Harvey, Dave Sitek of TV on the Radio, Robert Smith of the Cure, Tricky, Massive Attack, James Murphy of LCD Soundsystem, Sinead O'Connor, Bono, Courtney Love, Tracey Thorn of Everything But The Girl, Shirley Manson of Garbage, Red Hot chili Peppers, Thom Yorke of Radiohead, Thurston Moore of Sonic Youth, Dave Gahan of Depeche Mode, the Jesus and Mary Chain, Jane's Addiction, Florence Welch, Karin Dreijer Andersson of the Knife aka Fever Ray, FKA twigs, Santigold, Bloc Party, The Weeknd, Bobby Gillepsie of Primal Scream and Brett Anderson of Suede. It has been said that Karen O present on this list would have not existed without her as does Florence Welch who is also considered to be one of her heirs. That singer who is one of the most praised artists by her peers is SIOUXSIE.

Lou Reed was great but not really a singer. :confused:

Yeah, but than they should leave out Dylan and Waits as well.
And who should be in their place if the singing quality of the voice is the only criterion?
Scott Walker, and he is NOT on it.
We should make our OWN list of the lost.
All the names already mentioned by posters here should be on it.

Wait a minute! They just forgot to include a voice who has been praised by Morrissey, Johnny Marr, Jeff Buckley, PJ Harvey, Dave Sitek of TV on the Radio, Robert Smith of the Cure, Tricky, Massive Attack, James Murphy of LCD Soundsystem, Sinead O'Connor, Bono, Courtney Love, Tracey Thorn of Everything But The Girl, Shirley Manson of Garbage, Red Hot chili Peppers, Thom Yorke of Radiohead, Thurston Moore of Sonic Youth, Dave Gahan of Depeche Mode, the Jesus and Mary Chain, Jane's Addiction, Florence Welch, Karin Dreijer Andersson of the Knife aka Fever Ray, FKA twigs, Santigold, Bloc Party, The Weeknd, Bobby Gillepsie of Primal Scream and Brett Anderson of Suede. It has been said that Karen O present on this list would have not existed without her as does Florence Welch who is also considered to be one of her heirs. That singer who is one of the most praised artists by her peers is SIOUXSIE.

f***ING HELL, YEAH!!
HOW COULD I FORGET!
THIS LIST GETS MORE LAUGHEBLE BY THE MINUTE!!
:head-smack::swear

OMG
No Kurt Cobain either!
:eek:

The different voices comment made me think of him. Josh Holme once said that when he heard bleach he thought they had three singers. It's hard to straightforwardly cover a nirvana song as no one can really get the vocal right. Even on songs records in a closet with a few strummed chords his voice still carries and emotes. The ability of a voice to carry emotion is just as vital to a singer as it is to hit a high note

In 'pop music' I haven't heard many great voices come out of the 90's on. I wish people wouldn't be embarrassed to admit that instead of playing the cool card and pretend that there have been.

Not great voices but their own that I feel should be on there...
Brett Anderson, Billy Corgan, and more recently MC Ride.

Going back.. Ronnie Spector, Brian Wilson, Nico, Tim Buckley, Phil Ochs, Mary Margaret O'Hara, Kirsty MacColl, Kim Gordon, Ari Up, and of course Scott Walker. All those Motown vocalists and other obscure artists who will never be known to a wider audience. Don't know why I'm bothering, just irks me to think that people will see this list and think that it's complete or it's all they need to know never having to look further.

Last edited:
Blikey! Faith no More?? I reckon you got to fooking havin' a tossey mat! These bokes are cleaning tanning beds in North Hollywood.

I reckon Morrissey would not like this list since his idol Buster Poindexter isn't on it.

In 'pop music' I haven't heard many great voices come out of the 90's on. I wish people wouldn't be embarrassed to admit that instead of playing the cool card and pretend that there have been.

Not great voices but their own that I feel should be on there...
Brett Anderson, Billy Corgan, and more recently MC Ride.

Going back.. Ronnie Spector, Brian Wilson, Nico, Tim Buckley, Phil Ochs, Mary Margaret O'Hara, Kirsty MacColl, Kim Gordon, Ari Up, and of course Scott Walker. All those Motown vocalists and other obscure artists who will never be known to a wider audience. Don't know why I'm bothering, just irks me to think that people will see this list and think that it's complete or it's all they need to know never having to look further.

I would add Carl Wilson, who had the most beautiful voice of all of The Beach Boys.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom