Morrissey...one of the 100 Greatest Singers of All Time - Consequence Of Sound

FWIW

The 100 Greatest Singers of All Time - Consequence Of Sound
These are the voices that continue to touch, console, inspire, and empower us

It’s been observed that pop-culture writers have a penchant for ranking anything and everything. We’re cited for spending countless hours trying to assess, sort, and file that which seems patently subjective or, far more damning, so beautiful, transcendent, or numinous as to be above slotting on a mere list...

Artists

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm surprised at the amount of Jackson fans and Jackson defenders here on Morrissey-solo. It's not like M and MJ have an awful lot in common.

Personally I dislike MJ's music and I dislike his bullshit even more, but he was a good pop star and entertainer. But so were/are a lot of other people. I don't get what's so great about him.
Yeah, I never liked and of the Jacksons.

Morrissey, Frank Tovey, Ian Curtis, Dave Gahan
That's it.
There are a number of great vocalists, but I didn't list them because I simply don't like their music.... And vice versa. There are great music bands with not-so-strong singers.
It needs to be a perfect match: vocals and music genre to receive my honour.

A place for Thom Yorke, but not for Scott Walker? Thom Yorke? Oh heck...Noddy Holder is more deserving of a place.

No Shane McGowan. No Christy Moore. No Colin Meloy.

That's the danger with subjective lists, I suppose.

Colin Meloy? Seriously?

I don't see how liking MJ and Moz could ever be a problem. Are you 14? Are you only allowed to listen to INDIE? Great music is great music.
MJ was an amazing vocalist, a one of a kind icon in terms of originality and a fantastic songwriter. The game changers and innovators are Frank, Elvis, The Beatles and MJ.

She didn't even write Holiday. She didn't even write this.

So? I can think of at least 30 songs off the top of my head that she did write and most of those singles made it to the top 5 in the music charts. I think her position as the most influential female pop singer is well deserved.

And you are wrong about Ray of Light. She is credited as a writer on the song BASED on Maldoon's 'Sepheryn'. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_of_Light_(song)

Last edited:
I don't see how liking MJ and Moz could ever be a problem. Are you 14? Are you only allowed to listen to INDIE? Great music is great music.
MJ was an amazing vocalist, a one of a kind icon in terms of originality and a fantastic songwriter. The game changers and innovators are Frank, Elvis, The Beatles and MJ.

See, great music = highly subjective.

And no, I'm not 14 and I don't only listen to indie, asshole. I just think that Morrissey is sort of the anti-Michael Jackson. I didn't say it's forbidden to like both, I just said I'm surprised so many do.

And no, I'm not 14 and I don't only listen to indie, asshole. I just think that Morrissey is sort of the anti-Michael Jackson. I didn't say it's forbidden to like both, I just said I'm surprised so many do.
That's where the great music is great music-thing comes in. You like what you like. There are no rules.

I don't listen to mainstream chart toppers. That music just doesn't want to enter my ears. Commercially popular music SUCKS. (I am not 14 and I am not ashamed of my music preference either).

No, but Jackson didn't write all of his songs, either. He didn't write Thriller (the song) for example.

I think this list looks at the gesamtkonzept. If it was about "best composers", surely Burt Bacharach would have to be on it?

That's for another thread. :)
I am lazy but I would post.

Really like The Associates and Billy MacKenzie.
Trying to find Tell Me Easter's On Friday on utube.
Can't find.
The despair and his voice coming from hell.
Such great songs!

Really like The Associates and Billy MacKenzie.
Trying to find Tell Me Easter's On Friday on utube.
Can't find.
The despair and his voice coming from hell.
Such great songs!
He's one of the originals Billy MacKenzie. I have all their records and Billy's solo stuff too. His posthumous album Beyond The Sun is mesmerising.

He's one of the originals Billy MacKenzie. I have all their records and Billy's solo stuff too. His posthumous album Beyond The Sun is mesmerising.

Thanks for the tip Marred!

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I don't think Pink Floyd should be ignored, having David Gilmore, Roger Waters and Syd Barrett on the list would've been a tad excessive but to have none of them is ridiculous.

I just noticed Chrissie Hynde is missing from that list.

And what's with Faith No More getting two mentions singling out Mike Patton? Surely they can't be talking about the original vocalist who did only one album.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom