Morrissey on Women and Fur

D

dandysweets

This may have been discussed before but I just read through some of the answers that Morrissey gave a while back to questions from fans on truetoyou.net and there was one answer that annoyed me a little -

"...Although I admire the incredible preoccupation with style in Rome, the high presence of fur is the one awful aspect of the Italian female character. Yes, it's always women who wear fur - never men..."

I don't think it's accurate that it's always women who wear fur, many women wouldn't want to wear fur and besides, there are also plenty of men who wear fur, not least of all some of the more 'fashion conscious' gay men out there (possibly more so than the average straight man), so I think that's a slightly ignorant, almost sexist remark.

But maybe it was just meant to be one of his provocations is something we all know he loves to do.

Well, I've never seen a man in fur. Seen tons of stinking rich females in it though.

You've never been to Montreal in the winter...

> Well, I've never seen a man in fur. Seen tons of stinking rich females in
> it though.

Well I beg to differ, but what about Puff Diddy for one?

Morrissey and women. Tricky subject. i.e. 'Silly women, uniformed whore'
He clearly likes some, but they're a select few.

We like to think that women are the more compassionate sex but.......?

I think maybe often people tend to notice the fur women wear because they tend to wear more elaborate coats perhaps, wheras maybe mens' coats often are less 'in your face'/neutral - that doesn't mean they can't be made of fur though or have furry parts on them.

> Well, I've never seen a man in fur. Seen tons of stinking rich females in
> it though.

He was talking specifically about Italy where men probably don't wear fur much as it is too hot. It is just a female fashion item.

And I seem to recall he also said that while women wear fur, men start wars. I know which I think is the worst.

> This may have been discussed before but I just read through some of the
> answers that Morrissey gave a while back to questions from fans on
> truetoyou.net and there was one answer that annoyed me a little -

> "...Although I admire the incredible preoccupation with style in
> Rome, the high presence of fur is the one awful aspect of the Italian
> female character. Yes, it's always women who wear fur - never men..."

> I don't think it's accurate that it's always women who wear fur, many
> women wouldn't want to wear fur and besides, there are also plenty of men
> who wear fur, not least of all some of the more 'fashion conscious' gay
> men out there (possibly more so than the average straight man), so I think
> that's a slightly ignorant, almost sexist remark.

> But maybe it was just meant to be one of his provocations is something we
> all know he loves to do.

I see men in fur all of the time here in NYC. Its silly as ever and when i see them i laugh my ass off. Saw one in leather pants with a fur coat and fur hat yesterday in Union Square. What an ass. Its funny. Now to ITaly: Morrissey is f***ing high as a kite. In my 5 mos in Italy that is the *ONE* place on the planet where if any men wear fur its Italy!! Those guys are fashionistas! You see beggars in Donald Pliner shoes for f***-sake! What is he talking about? Next thing he will tell the news paper that Only women in italy dye their hair and wear super-tight jeans??
As far as it being sexist? I dont know...i doubt it. I mean if people took everything i said and examined it i would fit nearly every catagory in the label maker. I think in total his observations are extreme and wrong---but he is known for being both at times.

Moz' Fashion BIG Contradiction

when I was reading Morrissey's answer, what came to my mind was the dozens of Gucci, Dolce&Gabbana, YvesSaintLaurent etc... outfits that he stilishly wear all the time.

Such an anti-fur statement from a man that is so crazy about fashion labels that are FAMOUS for their luxury leather goods, well, it sounds a little (just a little) hypocrite, doesn't it?
if you do believe that fur is a cruel murder, would you wear Gucci, whose crocodile loafers, butter soft leather jackets, expensive shirlings and fashionable mink coats make the brand a favourite among rich "women who wear fur"?
if you live for the motto "Meat Is Murder", would you wear a D&G shirt, when everybody knows how Dolce and Gabbana are mad about any kind of fur on earth?

you might despise fur, but if you adore luxury labels, just as Monsieur Morrissey does, you should show more respect for other people tastes...

Re: Moz' Fashion BIG Contradiction

> when I was reading Morrissey's answer, what came to my mind was the dozens
> of Gucci, Dolce&Gabbana, YvesSaintLaurent etc... outfits that he stilishly
> wear all the time.

> Such an anti-fur statement from a man that is so crazy about fashion
> labels that are FAMOUS for their luxury leather goods, well, it sounds a
> little (just a little) hypocrite, doesn't it?
> if you do believe that fur is a cruel murder, would you wear Gucci, whose
> crocodile loafers, butter soft leather jackets, expensive shirlings and
> fashionable mink coats make the brand a favourite among rich "women
> who wear fur"?
> if you live for the motto "Meat Is Murder", would you wear a D&G
> shirt, when everybody knows how Dolce and Gabbana are mad about any kind
> of fur on earth?

> you might despise fur, but if you adore luxury labels, just as Monsieur
> Morrissey does, you should show more respect for other people tastes...

YES!! can anyone explain this shit to me? Why is morrissey singing "meat is murder" and all of this shit and he wears leather shoes and belts and all of the labels that are notoriously brutal and all of that. He could easily contract a tailor to make all of his clothes for similar costs? It baffles me? Really, how does this reconcile? I am confused by this? But, it should be duly noted he has incredbile style.

I think in total his observations are extreme and wrong---but
> he is known for being both at times.

That's what I mean, as much as I like his music (or the music that's being written for him by other people) and of course his voice which is without a doubt one of the best voices in pop/rock music in the world today, I just can't stomach his remarks sometimes. As funny and intriguing as he can be, he also comes across as a bit of an idiot on several occasions and then I suddenly understand why so many of my friends don't like him/his music. I actually think there are a lot of people out there who would otherwise like his music but just don't give it a chance because they dislike HIM so much.

Having said that, we all have our silly, ignorant and idotic moments and I'm sure he has a lot of good personality-traits and can be great company as well but with comments like the one about 'women and fur' I do think he's just plain irritating.

> YES!! can anyone explain this shit to me? Why is morrissey singing
> "meat is murder" and all of this shit and he wears leather shoes
> and belts and all of the labels that are notoriously brutal and all of
> that. He could easily contract a tailor to make all of his clothes for
> similar costs? It baffles me? Really, how does this reconcile? I am
> confused by this? But, it should be duly noted he has incredbile style.

well i cant imagine morrissey wondering about in a cheap
imitation tracksuit he picked up for a tenner off the market, can you?
haha! joking.
well as long as he isn't actually WEARING the fur, then there are in a sense "shades of grey" don't you think?
i mean, im a veggie but i wear doc. martens....

But, it should be duly noted he has incredbile style.

Agree, he certainly has

> well as long as he isn't actually WEARING the fur, then there are in a
> sense "shades of grey" don't you think?

I know what you mean, but "Gray" is not actually Morrissey's colour. His statements are always BlackBlack or WhiteWhite...
That's just why the sight of him singing in a YSL blazer or in a Gucci tuxedo jacket is a little odd.

> well i cant imagine morrissey wondering about in a cheap
> imitation tracksuit he picked up for a tenner off the market, can you?
> haha! joking.
> well as long as he isn't actually WEARING the fur, then there are in a
> sense "shades of grey" don't you think?
> i mean, im a veggie but i wear doc. martens....

No, no. I agree with doing what he is. I think he belives that in a very pragmatic way the animal is being killed anyway and thus he probabbly wears leather but is resigned to the fact that the butchery wont stop. And that fur is just over the top! its raising animals for one thing: to kill and use their hide. Not like cows i guess. But I think he should just go on record and make a much more insightul and articulate explination about his views on eating meat, wearing leather, and fur. I am not someone who thinks if you wear leather you are a "killer" or something like that. I feel that there are good intellectual arguments on both sides. Right? PVC is not sustainable, but leather is bio-degradeable? RIght? I mean one good pair of Dr. Martins are better than 8 pairs of Vegan shoes. Consumption vs. Vaintiy etc, etc.
good comments though

He meant in rome...only women wear fur in rome. i see italian men as thinking they are too macho for fur. the only men i see wearing furs are professional basket ball players and some rap stars. don't take that as racist, but only celebrity black men have i seen wear fur...in the US that is.

> This may have been discussed before but I just read through some of the
> answers that Morrissey gave a while back to questions from fans on
> truetoyou.net and there was one answer that annoyed me a little -

> "...Although I admire the incredible preoccupation with style in
> Rome, the high presence of fur is the one awful aspect of the Italian
> female character. Yes, it's always women who wear fur - never men..."

> I don't think it's accurate that it's always women who wear fur, many
> women wouldn't want to wear fur and besides, there are also plenty of men
> who wear fur, not least of all some of the more 'fashion conscious' gay
> men out there (possibly more so than the average straight man), so I think
> that's a slightly ignorant, almost sexist remark.

> But maybe it was just meant to be one of his provocations is something we
> all know he loves to do.

Back
Top Bottom