Morrissey on "The Tonight Show" with Jimmy Fallon (June 25, 2015) - reminder / reports

Morrissey is the scheduled music guest on "The Tonight Show" with Jimmy Fallon tonight (June 25, 2015)

• Photos (7 total) - Getty Images. Link posted by ~El Boydelz~.

fallon.jpg
  • From docinwestchester:

All 3 segments:

teaser:
    https://vimeo.com/131844055

Kiss Me A Lot:
    https://vimeo.com/131845871

closing:
    https://vimeo.com/131846476
  • Morrissey makes it through entire Fallon performance without canceling - Consequence of Sound

Related item:

Last edited:
I see your point.

I must add, however, that I only relate to Morrissey as an artist. From that point of view, I don't care if he's happy or not - in fact maybe he writes better songs when he feels miserable, which happens to many. As a person, I don't know him (and from what I read I doubt I would like him much).

I think that you make a good point about the 'tortured artist' syndrome: suffering leads to isolation, which leads to self-reflection and creativity. The question that we need to ask now is do we want Morrissey to be in a state of complete emotional distress so that we can get another "Come Back to Camden" or "I've Changed My Plea to Guilty" or do we want him to be somewhat content and still give us great songs like "Istanbul", "Drag the River", "Smiler with Knife" and "Forgive Someone"? Personally, I think the writing is still strong and his voice somehow gets more amazing with time.

lynnda

I think that you make a good point about the 'tortured artist' syndrome: suffering leads to isolation, which leads to self-reflection and creativity. The question that we need to ask now is do we want Morrissey to be in a state of complete emotional distress so that we can get another "Come Back to Camden" or "I've Changed My Plea to Guilty" or do we want him to be somewhat content and still give us great songs like "Istanbul", "Drag the River", "Smiler with Knife" and "Forgive Someone"? Personally, I think the writing is still strong and his voice somehow gets more amazing with time.

lynnda

Completely agree regarding his singing voice - amazing these days.

I quite like most of his late songs, but more the music than the lyrics. I like the minimalist style of just a few sentences, just think that they could be more thoughtful. Years ago, it was the opposite - lyrics prevailed, he could say so much with just one or two sentences.

His best songs are, quite obviously, excellent on both fronts. But this is just one opinion.

Completely agree regarding his singing voice - amazing these days.

I quite like most of his late songs, but more the music than the lyrics. I like the minimalist style of just a few sentences, just think that they could be more thoughtful. Years ago, it was the opposite - lyrics prevailed, he could say so much with just one or two sentences.

His best songs are, quite obviously, excellent on both fronts. But this is just one opinion.

I don't know if that's completely the case, the saying a lot with one line. I think the line world peace is none of your business is a pretty loaded one with multiple meanings that relate to a lot of nuanced conversation and debate that's been going on the last few years (all of history perhaps excepting 35 years or so). im thinking of france agreeing to build warships for Russia and then saying no to delivery but really debating it as war is a very large part of both countries business and they really wanted to keep that money as there survival and budget might be based on it at the moment (and survival is very much there business) while there citizens, some and a majority here in the us I believe, make this kind of debate none of there business or find the slaughter of what they would consider innocent people by those who bought weapons from there country and just say that the turmoil is the business of the victims not ours and there own responsibility to fix there own problems. I liked that and the song a bunch personally. I think people not inherently good or evil but rather inherently conflicted and move towards one direction on the spectrum throughout life and when you make your survival based on war and a large part of your countries business it always faces you towards your ethics and pressures individuals to compromise them even more so than existence demands. it just exacerbates the internal conflict and leads to ethical compartmentalization and often a slightly spoiled contentment that your other life accomplishments might bring you

He still has the spark on some lines, but I think the world is quite complex and the danger here is to just be simplistic. It doesn't make the lyrics stronger, it makes them dumber. I liked the WPINOYB title, but something like the rich must be richer and the poor must stay poor... Well, hello, welcome to capitalism, it's been here for a while! I honestly expected something more subtle - this is the guy that still moans about a trial on Smiths' songs rights, that still makes individualism his flag, etc - you know the score. Which is fine, it's his business, just comes at odds with the preaching afterwards, and I find it difficult to come across as believable. I find it much more interesting when he just exposes his personal labyrinths.

I quite fancy the melody though.

He still has the spark on some lines, but I think the world is quite complex and the danger here is to just be simplistic. It doesn't make the lyrics stronger, it makes them dumber. I liked the WPINOYB title, but something like the rich must be richer and the poor must stay poor... Well, hello, welcome to capitalism, it's been here for a while! I honestly expected something more subtle - this is the guy that still moans about a trial on Smiths' songs rights, that still makes individualism his flag, etc - you know the score. Which is fine, it's his business, just comes at odds with the preaching afterwards, and I find it difficult to come across as believable. I find it much more interesting when he just exposes his personal labyrinths.

I quite fancy the melody though.

i always just thought of the rich must be richer line to mean something more straightforward as in to have a rich population means that there must be a poor one and that people want this system that will produce obvious pain to a large section of people though if you were to ask them if they would be happier with everyone having the same amount of money a lot of say yes to that to. its like when theyre thinking of greed and influence they of course want the system because it could make them rich but when they think about fairness, and the fear of it not being directed at them, they then think of the security of that system and want the that never seeing a contradiction and that people take advantage of that disconnect and what drives it. i guess i think it more about people and there disconnect about the forces that influence there life and there unaware complicity in that influence rather than a comment on earning money which he himself obviously does or being rich and the unfairness of capitalism

How interesting. I saw him 3 times in the European tour and thought those were the best gigs I've seen from him. Great, no scratch that, fantastic voice, tight band and I actually felt the songs from WPINOYB are better live. I am not alone in this opinion, but of course music a matter of taste - so I wont dispute you on that.

However his voice is top at the moment, and that is something no one can deny.

A shame a concert isn't just vocals in that case. Belfast was a much better show than Milan or Florence which is strange because up until last year I thought the Italian dates were usually head and shoulders above anything in the UK. Manchester Opera House is still my fav' English show. With Edinburghs Usher Hall bucking the trend as another cracking night up in Scotland. Compared to 2012 Milan and Florence 2014 were really bad. Bologna 2014 was OK but it just made the rest of the Italian tour even harder to swallow.
I'll probably go to one of the Hammersmith shows in the hope we don't have to suffer I'm Throwing My Arms Around Prestwich and the plodding stuff off WPINOYB

I'll probably go to one of the Hammersmith shows in the hope we don't have to suffer I'm Throwing My Arms Around Prestwich and the plodding stuff off WPINOYB

Are you stupid? Of course he is going to sing stuff off WPINOYB. Stay home and listen to your old vinyl give a fan a chance.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom