Morrissey on The One Show 16th February

Re: Morrissey on The One Show tonight at 7pm!!!

I may be going too deep, here, but didn't anyone find the male presenter's comments strange? His comments, if anything, should have been more worthy of raised eyebrows than Morrissey's. He said that we should have sympathy for the white collar types who've never had to struggle- implying that it's somehow worse for them. What about the working class people who have less safety cushion, and are constantly having their hours reduced even in good times? Is it ok because they are supposed to be "used to" being short of money and underemployed?

To me, (I am not English) these comments seem to point to a strangely strong, almost caste-like approach to social class, an attitude I've seen in older English literature. I wouldn't have guessed this attitude still pervades English culture. Does it? Or am I just reading too deeply into the comments of a mindless TV presenter?

Nope, you're not reading too deeply in to this. Or if you are, I'm reading at the same level! I still find class structure the biggest divide within the UK, and one thing that has come out of this 'Credit Crunch' is that we should have sympathy for the middle class losing their jobs and signing on for the first time, after all, they have no experience of signing on and the stigma of signing on will be greater for them. :rolleyes:

Morrissey still makes me piss myself laughing. It's more over the reaction of people around him - :straightface:

I have found great pleasure in seeing all the snobs who have took the piss out of me for being on the dole...on the dole.

While watching the show on youtube I noticed that some of the live footage was from the Camden Roundhouse last year..Would love a proper release of one of those shows

Nope, you're not reading too deeply in to this. Or if you are, I'm reading at the same level! I still find class structure the biggest divide within the UK, and one thing that has come out of this 'Credit Crunch' is that we should have sympathy for the middle class losing their jobs and signing on for the first time, after all, they have no experience of signing on and the stigma of signing on will be greater for them. :rolleyes:

I think the reason for that is that all the presenters were of the same class as the white collar workers, so they are bound to think like that.

While watching the show on youtube I noticed that some of the live footage was from the Camden Roundhouse last year..Would love a proper release of one of those shows

I'm pretty sure that all of the live footage was from the Hollywood Bowl.

Was Morrissey's childhood home knocked down - the one on Kings Rd. in Stretford?

priceless.....just mentioned on the show tonight that one of the BLOW? family has got in touch with the show and she's the youngest of 9 and would wheel young Morrissey about in his trolley and the families were friends

They should get them all in the studio with Morrissey and have a "Surprise Surprise" reunion. With Cilla! :D

Was Morrissey's childhood home knocked down - the one on Kings Rd. in Stretford?

No he moved into the Kings road house when he was roughly 10 and it still stands.

The one knocked down was on the Hulme/Moss Side border

priceless.....just mentioned on the show tonight that one of the BLOW? family has got in touch with the show and she's the youngest of 9 and would wheel young Morrissey about in his trolley and the families were friends

Awww! I hope Ms. Blow has photos to share of the infant Morrissey.

Thank you, Spineless Swine (you're not really) for the info on Mozza's home.

:lbf: just seen that and came here to see if anyone else have seen.
and she said she doesnt know where morrissey got the idea that they shouldn't be messed with :lbf: ....well, I know now!

That was the worst of the lot. I know some say Moz can be lacking on lyrical inspiration these days, but that would be scraping the bottom of the barrel....

probably better than 'Oh Glenn Don't come to the house tonight.'

;)

:straightface: Ok. :straightface:

Shoot.:straightface: Now.

Well that's agricultural gratitude for you.

Well since we're having a bit of a carry-on with the One Show couple...

How come that guy didn't add "Well, peel it back and bite me!!." when he said he was a banana? Uh?

I heard Mussell and Ms D. groan when he didn't, I saw a few msolo people roll their eyes...Whoever wrote that script should lose their job. Now.

Anyway I'm sulking because the farmer didn't even bother to try and save his farm when I'm sure it was worth peanuts and obviously doesn't give a damn about architecture, so old pubs, little trees, it's clear he doesn't give a rat's arse, really.

ps/ rats: don't bother calling the One show.:angry:

now, if you'll excuse, jobhunting beckons. oo-eer.

(200000 new painters in California soon btw, woohoo Arnold!! ars gratias artis, kids to feed and all that.)

Panic not, Morrissey fans
from Miranda Sawyer
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/column.../21/panic-not-morrissey-fans-115875-21139667/

They don’t want to hear that he’s moved to LA or taken his clothes off for a publicity shot (don’t look, it is upsetting). That he’s chosen to appear on The ruddy One Show. To them, all of this is proof that Morrissey has sold out.

He hasn’t. Advertising butter or insurance is selling out (for shame, John Lydon and Iggy Pop!) But when your heroes take on the mainstream and win, it isn’t. It’s proof that they’re ace.
Did you see it? The most sensational TV music event of the year? No, I’m not talking about the Brits, but Morrissey appearing on The One Show.

That’s Morrissey. On The One Show. His mum likes it apparently.

The icon of a generation was charming and up to his old tricks. “Why not just paint, or do something creative?” he said airily after a piece on white-collar unemployment.

Morrissey is controversial because his fans want him to remain as he was in the 80s – a skinny youth pining at the cemetery gates in rainy Manchester.
I remember Jarvis Cocker wiping the floor with his opponents on Pop Quiz, and punching the air with delight. Morrissey being gracious and witty on The One Show quite made my week. Next month: Chrissie Hynde discusses wheelie bins on Loose Women.

There certainly milking morrisseys appearance on the show, or trying to temp him back? On todays show they played a bit of heaven knows im miserable now, then what diff does it make:eek:

i dont understand what you mean silke? i was refering to todays one show, the topic was forensic investigation when canal diving lol and they used two of his songs which to me have nothing to do with canals lol unless morrissey is a secret canal diver

lol its the way i write i always confuse people! i wouldnt fancy dragging a dead body out of a dirty old river, they also look for clues i suppose like floating fingers and random shoes:D

Back
Top Bottom