Morrissey on the death of Margaret Thatcher, the press - statement at TTY

Margaret Thatcher - true-to-you.net
9 April 2013

The difficulty with giving a comment on Margaret Thatcher's death to the British tabloids is that, no matter how calmly and measuredly you speak, the comment must be reported as an "outburst" or an "explosive attack" if your view is not pro-establishment. If you reference "the Malvinas", it will be switched to "the Falklands", and your "Thatcher" will be softened to a "Maggie." This is generally how things are structured in a non-democratic society. Thatcher's name must be protected not because of all the wrong that she had done, but because the people around her allowed her to do it, and therefore any criticism of Thatcher throws a dangerously absurd light on the entire machinery of British politics. Thatcher was not a strong or formidable leader. She simply did not give a shit about people, and this coarseness has been neatly transformed into bravery by the British press who are attempting to re-write history in order to protect patriotism. As a result, any opposing view is stifled or ridiculed, whereas we must all endure the obligatory praise for Thatcher from David Cameron without any suggestion from the BBC that his praise just might be an outburst of pro-Thatcher extremism from someone whose praise might possibly protect his own current interests. The fact that Thatcher ignited the British public into street-riots, violent demonstrations and a social disorder previously unseen in British history is completely ignored by David Cameron in 2013. In truth, of course, no British politician has ever been more despised by the British people than Margaret Thatcher. Thatcher's funeral on Wednesday will be heavily policed for fear that the British tax-payer will want to finally express their view of Thatcher. They are certain to be tear-gassed out of sight by the police.

United Kingdom? Syria? China? What's the difference?

Morrissey
9 April 2013

Related items:

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: From the Horse's mouth - TTY - Morrissey on the death of Margaret Thatcher, the p

The HYPERbole has the right to operate in overdrive.
They are, of their very nature, a tool by which the author makes emotive points without risk of being taken literally.
In A Modest Proposal by Jonathon Swift, he certainly never meant that people should actually sell their kids as food.
He used the extreme outlandish suggestion to highlight the absurdity, which is exactly the mode d'emploi our author had in this case. It's HIS way.
A technique I find he has always been given to using, in varying degrees, regardless of the subject.
I will admit to having a bit of bated breath upon learning of her death, only because the very first thing I thought was "What will Morrissey have to say about THIS!!"
Considering he's pondered the day and the event, specifically, I figured it was going to be so much more extreme than it was. It all struck me as reservation of comment whilst still having his say.
I expected more bile, honestly, so what he did say was mild, to my mind.
Very much like my comment, I've commented on your comments about his comment without really commenting on the event. I want to stop saying comment now.:lbf:
I don't actually have a disposition on it.
But, I knew Moz would.
He's already gone "down in musical history" and he's still active in it's present.
He will be quoted like Wilde, so I always hope he says something from his sensible side.
Sometimes we get sensational, interactive, evolving mini-dramas and then we sort of come to expect it.
I love him so much!

Re: Loaded interview

VH reposted a scan which was originally posted by joe frady after reading CrystalGeezer's post.

No need for giving him a credit.

And I'm sure the fact that you don't like him factors into that mandate just a tad...

Should've left it alone after the upcycled rehash quotes which were effective. This is more nonsense, the last line revealing an almost total disconnect from consensual reality. No idea why he felt the need to put out this crap, other than he often puts out crap.

Re: From the Horse's mouth - TTY - Morrissey on the death of Margaret Thatcher, the p

I wasn't aware Morrissey broke communities and plunged people into poverty.

You can ignore the strikingly similar character traits if you wish, but they are there for all to see.

Actually Arthur Scargill destroyed communities and threw people into poverty. Scargill, that great tactician, that logistical genius who called a miners strike, without balloting his members, as the country began to enjoy a beautiful, warm Spring.

Last edited:

They are, of their very nature, a tool by which the author makes emotive points without risk of being taken literally.
In A Modest Proposal by Jonathon Swift, he certainly never meant that people should actually sell their kids as food.
He used the extreme outlandish suggestion to highlight the absurdity, which is exactly the mode d'emploi our author had in this case. It's HIS way.
A technique I find he has always been given to using, in varying degrees, regardless of the subject.
I will admit to having a bit of bated breath upon learning of her death, only because the very first thing I thought was "What will Morrissey have to say about THIS!!"
Considering he's pondered the day and the event, specifically, I figured it was going to be so much more extreme than it was. It all struck me as reservation of comment whilst still having his say.
Very much like my comment, I've commented on your comments about his comment without really commenting on the event. I want to stop saying comment now.:lbf:
But, I knew Moz would.
He's already gone "down in musical history" and he's still active in it's present.
He will be quoted like Wilde, so I always hope he says something from his sensible side.
Sometimes we get sensational, interactive, evolving mini-dramas and then we sort of come to expect it.
I love him so much!

These days Morrissey's mind is not so much Swift and Wilde as sluggish and broken.

These days Morrissey's mind is not so much Swift and Wilde as sluggish and broken.

there have been days, indeed.
and, it's GOT to be a reflection of where he's at, mentality-wise.
i bet he's just gotten some much needed rest, relaxation and medication after having to cancel dates due to
his health issues.
very few issues a week or so in Mexico won't fix.
i just read the Russell Brand article and, wow, what a writer he could be!
that's what Moz is for me.
i have always had him on a literary platter.
for me, you could slice the music away from him and he's still a fantastic writer.
and in my world, i give license to go mad. it's all the rage, everyone seems to be doing it.
i have found, i'm more willing than i initially thought i was going to be, to let him render in extremes and not
allow it to alienate what he is to me.
i like that he says what he has to say.
i'm glad he feels strongly about his convictions, and whatnot.
one should be deeply convicted of their own convictions.
i don't want to have to witness a decaying orbit on Morrissey.
if that were to transpire, i've already planned to look away and deny it. deeply. repeatedly.

Mr. Barleycorn, you are one brilliant motherf***er! Completely agree with all you've said.

As usual, Morrissey continues to ruin his reputation with hyperbolic douchebaggery. Comparing the UK to Syria and China? This is beyond absurd. It's disgusting.

You make it harder and harder to be a fan, Morrissey. You are tiring and tedious, whereas you were once funny and even loveable.

"United Kingdom? Syria? China? What's the difference?"

Go on the frontline with the FSA or start a student demo in Guangzhou, you ludicrous old man.

I think you'll see the difference within approximately two minutes.

Now dear, remember what he said about the Chinese? They're a 'subspecies'.

So joining the students in Guangzhou simply wouldn't happen, I'm afraid!

And I'm sure the fact that you don't like him factors into that mandate just a tad...

I think it would literally kill Kewpie to ever give me credit for anything.

I understand, though...I'd be jealous too if spent the last 7 years moderating a forum & the site's most hated member had actually contributed more to it than I had.

I think it would literally kill Kewpie to ever give me credit for anything.

I understand, though...I'd be jealous too if spent the last 7 years moderating a forum & the site's most hated member had actually contributed more to it than I had.

You're not the most hated. :sweet:

You can ignore the strikingly similar character traits if you wish, but they are there for all to see.

Actually Arthur Scargill destroyed communities and threw people into poverty. Scargill, that great tactician, that logistical genius who called a miners strike, without balloting his members, as the country began to enjoy a beautiful, warm Spring.
I wasn't ignoring it, it just seems to me your are ridiculously(knowing you were being daft, infact you probably didn't) saying Moz is as bad as Thatcher all together.

Last edited:

I thought v this v was brilliantly worded, it really spoke to me:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2013/apr/09/russell-brand-margaret-thatcher

give that man a State funeral!!! (no not now:rolleyes:)

Have a nice day Rushel.:thumb:

PS/ the shards bit had me... in stitches
and the "both boring and boring" : OooooOooooh!

WOW! Very well written. He wrote for a broader audience than just British people...

Mr. Barleycorn, you are one brilliant motherf***er! Completely agree with all you've said.

As usual, Morrissey continues to ruin his reputation with hyperbolic douchebaggery. Comparing the UK to Syria and China? This is beyond absurd. It's disgusting.

You make it harder and harder to be a fan, Morrissey. You are tiring and tedious, whereas you were once funny and even loveable.

Barleycorn is spot-on. Most of the fans here are mature enough to realize the difference between basic criticism and unfounded, blind anger. Morrissey has been spouting on about anything that he deems as fodder for his faulty cannon. He really needs to reflect on what he has become here--not a respected singer who is known for some emotional and thoughtful lyrics, but a bitter man who sees fault in everything that he deems as not according to his belief system.

Many people have disagreements with the views of others, but they do not spout off ill will and disdain as Morrissey does. The almost laughable thing is that the other site with the lemmings like TRB, the cat girls, etc., would follow Morrissey no matter what he says. That is not fandom; it is sad.

But, I knew Moz would.
I love him so much!

I think everybody's aware hyperbole is a device that, in fact, IS overdrive. The point is how it's used, when it's used and to what effect. If Morrissey was using the comparison hyperbolically, he did a poor job.

The Swift piece was satirical in nature, Morrissey's comments were not, which makes the China/Syria comparison seem clunky and an unreasoned end to a reasoned piece. It's all about context.

Where did you learn to write? On a trampoline?

I was still learning to "write on the trampoline" when the YMCA/Local Youth Club (trampoline club venue) was closed down by the new Conservative Bourough Council and turned into another Old Peoples Home back in 1983... idooo os wIshsh thaat I hadd beeene ablle too oo oo c***in uuuueeee.....

This counterpoint to the unending hysteria over Morrissey's "extreme" comments went down very smooth.
I agree that the piece was surprisingly even-handed, with a zinger at the end. The haters can't stand Morrissey zingers these days. I'm not sure why.

Brand's piece had some brilliant passages.
Ken Loach's words must have been a pleasure for Moz to read.

Meryl Streep described Thatcher as a "figure of awe"? More like a figure of maw.

But, I knew Moz would.
I love him so much!

Shameful to see Morrissey (and so many of his countrymen) so poisoned by their ideology. The fact that after all these years he is so angy seems to prove that Thatcher accomplished what she set out to do. After watching so many people celebrating the death of another human it once again demonstrates the superiority of American society. Not once did any American publicly celebrate the death of Reagan.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom