Morrissey on Norway Massacre/Fast Food Companies - Bigmmouth Strikes Again

The argument whether humans are "above" or more "valuable" than other living creatures is one that can't be won but what can be argued is that the death of a person affects his or her loved ones for the rest of their lives. It can also affect the lives of friends, acquaintances, or strangers who feel empathy. Tragedies live on. While there are certainly examples of "mourning" in the animal world, it's nothing on the scale of what humans experience. The killing of the people in Norway, as one example, will destroy the lives of thousands of people there and those connected to them around the world. This is why (most) people innately feel humans are on a higher level than animals, whether you agree or not.

Doesn't mean the slaughter of millions of animals for food shouldn't be discussed and debated now and forever.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're going by what you read on some website. Or were you at the concert yourself?

If I remember correctly, he never said "It's nothing compared to..." but that "Same/Worse things happen everyday...".
He wasn't trying to downplay the massacre, he was saying that what happens to animals is equally horrible. I don't necessarily agree with him but I can see where he's coming from.

Seriously? If he said same/worse that makes it just as bad.

He has said so many stupid things... At a concert in Texas years ago he stated how it was Memorial Day and that those that should only be remembered are conscientious objectors. I am downloading the show again to get the audio if you want. What a ballsy and stupid thing to say. He has a history of saying stupid shit and then backtracking. Thing is? He knows he cannot do it anymore in the age of live tapers and youtube. His comments speak for themselves my ass.

The man is turning into more of a fool every day.

If that story is true, that's awesome.

The pet lovers didn't think so. And i wasn't trying to disrespect my dogs body for the sake of a fight, it was just a shell of him, his soul passed onto some lucky other body. Just as I don't think Morrisey was disrespecting the Norwegians.

I just cleaned up his grave, actually. It had gotten way overgrown. :love: Hey Al. I miss him.

I understand how you feel but i am interested in why you feel that way? - Why do you see animals as a "food source"? how are you able to make that judgement and why not eat humans too? re-read my other post - I am asking what is the logic? Is it one or more of the three i suggested or another reason?

If you are unwilling to go back and re-read everything I have written over the years concerning the subject, than anything I simply write now will not hold up to your satisfaction. It is all in the archives. Call it a different moral compass, call it whatever you want. I do not value an animal above or on the same level as a human.

Odd.Just watching a documentary on Murdoch and How Soon Is Now was being played.
In the past this would evoke great memories of the summer it was released but tonight I began to
feel slightly ill at ease, almost like a friend who I had once loved had betrayed me.
"ever get the feeling you've been cheated" ?

The thing about death is that it affects those left behind far far more than the dead chicken/norwegian kid/Amy winehouse etc.
I would argue that humans feel this loss in a profound way more than most animals .

I love his music but he is a c*** of the highest order.
I'm sure Picasso was one too but made great art.

However,even Morrissey's muse seems to have vacated this unhappy planet for the time being.

I still put a lot if faith in Tony Wilson & Peter Hook's opinion
of him as a person.

Some people say that Tony Wilson and Peter Hook are as bad as Morrissey.

The argument whether humans are "above" or more "valuable" than other living creatures is one that can't be won but what can be argued is that the death of a person affects his or her loved ones for the rest of their lives. It can also affect the lives of friends, acquaintances, or strangers who feel empathy. Tragedies live on. While there are certainly examples of "mourning" in the animal world, it's nothing on the scale of what humans experience. The killing of the people in Norway, as one example, will destroy the lives of thousands of people there and those connected to them around the world. This is why (most) people innately feel humans are on a higher level than animals, whether you agree or not.

Doesn't mean the slaughter of millions of animals for food shouldn't be discussed and debated now and forever.

Interesting, so for you it is the kinship that you have for other humans that makes you value human life more - you "feel" their pain - where as you "feel the pain" of animals less. You value the feeling of "loss" from those left behind (a feeling that you percieve animals lack) above even the value of life - so..... you are that kind of meat eater....

Agreed. The way I feel about vegetarians is the same as I feel about anti-choice people.

Don't like abortion? Don't have one.

Don't like eating meat? Don't eat it.

Simple as that. Of course, 9 and a half times out of ten, the vegetarian thing is merely an ego mechanism, it helps them define themselves and gives them a cause to hide behind.

I've known and/or dated loads of them, and it often, deep down, has very little to do with the logic and compassion they pretend to have. Most of them are total irrational assholes to other human beings...but if you're a cute little calf, they'll jump in front of a train for their politics...(but watch them duck out of the way right before it hits.)

Meat is Murder has been out for a while now - haven't you noticed? Its a really good song - classic Morrissey - he really means it

Those views were expressed with elegance and poetry, not insensitive headline-catching sensationalism in the wake of a specific deep human tragedy.

So its about how and when he expressed the view not the view? - okay
Well he said it on stage - before the intro to Meat is Murder - his stage - he feels that way and wants to express it - are you really surprised? - and since he feels murder for meat, promotes murder full stop. It would seem that under the shadow of a mass murder was the right time to re-air that view and bring his next song up to date. Yes its provocative - he hopes it will provoke you to turn vegi - many have and some always do

Last edited:
I find this quote fascinating.

Now, since this thread isn't about whether we personally share his views or not, it's about the larger debate over whether his comments are appropriate/insensitive/etc...I won't go into my personal feelings on whether I agree with this quote, but I will say that I think it is a totally different animal (no pun intended) than the Norway Massacre comment. I do see your point, though.

He really said this? f***. I don't know how I missed it.

Just downloaded the show now as a matter of fact... (It was available in FLAC - I converted the track to 256 AAC and uploaded it - thanks Smithtorrents)
http://www.sendspace.com/file/ce9m4s

Comments are at around 3:59 into the song.

""So today is Memorial Day and uh, for me, residence (resonance?) only to remember those conscientious objectors. God bless them."

I think that is kind of a disrespectful thing to say on Memorial Day and on American Soil (which is wasn't as this show was on the 28th). For those outside of the United States that do not know, Memorial Day is a national holiday to honor those that died in war. This is not to be confused with Veteran's Day which honors those that served.

It's a cruel and vicious world, be it towards animals or fellow humans. Apathy is seen to be just as bad.

J
I think that is kind of a disrespectful thing to say on Memorial Day and on American Soil (which is wasn't as this show was on the 28th). For those outside of the United States that do not know, Memorial Day is a national holiday to honor those that died in war. This is not to be confused with Veteran's Day which honors those that served.

but when is the day for those those that were killed for wanting an end to the killing?

Sign the man up, he clearly is brilliant at self promotion.

Tags
bigmouth fast food morrissey norway
Back
Top Bottom