Morrissey on Minogue

Morrissey loves controversy.

Yeah, but it's not controversial anymore. People don't think "Wow Morrissey, how brave and daring of you to say something so inflammatory" - Kylie Minogue is an easy target. She makes throwaway bubblegum pop for kids and isn't known for being outspoken, so I don't expect she will come back at him with a foul-mouthed rant anytime soon.

She makes throwaway bubblegum pop for kids and isn't known for being outspoken, so I don't expect she will come back at him with a foul-mouthed rant anytime soon.

That's exactly why he (and so many others) can't stand her. She is comletely inane and represents everything that's wrong with people in the public eye today.

I must say I think it's amazing that Morrissey fans should be standing up for someone so bland and mediocre.

Well I'd agree with him...surely more people are deserving.I can't stand Kylie Minogue, I think she's very limited and uninteresting yet completely adored by bizillions of humans.

But is he really seen bitter and jealous? I mean I'm sure that would be true if he was like "did you see that bloody bitch and slut Kylie Minogue blah blah". It was just a wry comment, that's all.

I don't see the problem.

It wasn't just his Kylie comment which makes me say that, but he seems to slag off a lot of other artists to get his face in the papers - Britney, Madonna etc. He needs to grow up. We know they're crap and we know they're undeservedly rewarded, but does he really have to bleat on about it all the time?

That's exactly why he (and so many others) can't stand her. She is comletely inane and represents everything that's wrong with people in the public eye today.

I must say I think it's amazing that Morrissey fans should be standing up for someone so bland and mediocre.

I'm not standing up for her. I know she is inane and her music is piss-poor, but there are other modern artists out there very similar to her, who Morrissey wouldn't dare take the piss out of because they would come back at him just as much. He snipes at people that he knows won't retaliate.

Its a joke. If you were to make awards for services to music she would be well down the list. Im not sure why it bothers him so much but he is making a pretty valid point.

I dont think she will be a lasting influence on the history of pop and rock and roll !!

Well I'd agree with him...surely more people are deserving.I can't stand Kylie Minogue, I think she's very limited and uninteresting yet completely adored by bizillions of humans.

But is he really seen bitter and jealous? I mean I'm sure that would be true if he was like "did you see that bloody bitch and slut Kylie Minogue blah blah". It was just a wry comment, that's all.

I don't see the problem.

I completely agree with you. Morrissey makes comments like this all the time, criticising contemporary pop music. Maybe he is disappointed and slightly amused rather than bitter and jealous. Or maybe he truly feels Kylie deserves that OBE. It's not as if he's likely to rank that honour very highly. :D

the irony is that if Minogue had been 20 years older and released her songs in the 60's Moz would have been a huge fan.
she released a clutch of extremely catchy songs from the late 80's through to the mid 90's which he would have loved had he been a non-judgemental child.
so she doesn't write many, if any, of her songs (though I think she gets some kind of songwriting credit) but neither did many of the women in the 60's who Moz idolises.
she's had the chart success that Moz can only dream about and some of these have been very well received critically, e.g. Can't Get You Out of My Head (altho don't really like that one myself).
I'm not a big Minogue fan but she had a single 'I believe in you' a few years back which was fantastic- in a different league to the likes of recent mediocre Moz singles like 'That's How People Grow Up' and 'The Youngest was the Most Loved'...

Last edited:
I'm not standing up for her. I know she is inane and her music is piss-poor, but there are other modern artists out there very similar to her, who Morrissey wouldn't dare take the piss out of because they would come back at him just as much. He snipes at people that he knows won't retaliate.
:confused:
I don't know where you've got this from. What artists would he slag off if he could but is too scared of then?

I'd be ripping absolutely everyone apart if I was in a position to have so many people hear me doing so. I would've thought that element of bitterness and hatred would be something more fans could appreciate. It's certainly something that I love in his songs and it's certainly not 'childish'.

I'd be ripping absolutely everyone apart if I was in a position to have so many people hear me doing so. I would've thought that element of bitterness and hatred would be something more fans could appreciate. It's certainly something that I love in his songs and it's certainly not 'childish'.

*applauds*
And I certainly do appreciate it. I had a good laugh about this on Friday.

Exactly. Time was Morrissey fans appreciated that side of his personality and didn't want him to be a lock jawed popstar. Now they seem to want him to behave like a Pop Idol contestant.

Last edited by a moderator:
It always puzzles me as to how people get all sniffy about artists who merely perform, and don't write their own material. If the only meaningful contribution that can be made to music is to write it, then the practically sainted Elvis Presley was also a pile of shite!

I'm not saying Kylie deserves it (far from it), but I do think there is a snobbish attitude towards performers. Performance is also a huge part. There are many talented actors of legendary status who just perform roles written by others.

Last edited:
I also enjoyed the mention he made to Harriet Harman and Ruth Kelly, as I feel Labour's present female ministers are some of the most pointless individuals on the planet.

My drunken endorsment of his statement was the exclamation "Slags!".

:confused:
I don't know where you've got this from. What artists would he slag off if he could but is too scared of then?

I'm pretty sure he wanted to rip into Razorlight when they attracted double the number of people he did at the Carling festival in 2004.

You appreciate Morrissey because he's bitter and hateful? :confused:

Something’s been bothering me. When I first heard Morrissey make the comment live about Kylie Minogue, I thought he was genuinely acknowledging her contribution to music. Perhaps I’m naive to his humor, but it completely flew over my head that he was being sarcastic. Then I read the Ashkenazi article which confirmed that he was being sort of a dick to mock her in front of thousands. Can you imagine how that made her feel? Keep in mind this is coming from a person who couldn't name a Minogue song if asked to under severe torture, but my point is:

Why does Morrissey even give a shit who gets an award and for why? I’m totally stumped.

I completely agree with you - this is the one thing that really annoys me about morrissey. It's the way he goes on and on and on and on about the fact that he doesn't like Madonna, Britney and Kylie (oh btw, see a pattern forming? Actually, there might be more than one here). He is a sad man.

And are you all so stupid so as to think that Kylie's main appeal is to children?? She is not inane, bubblegum pop - she is something quite different that none of you would understand. You think that all there should be is music about boxers, criminals, loneliness all the time and that's all there should ever be!!?? Have you no range and no scope???

Also, in answer to Morrissey's question - "Can she write?" - she has written or co-written most of her stuff. I really wish he would do some investigative work before he opens his mouth, because he just sounds like a jealous bitch. And yes Morrissey, she most certainly can sing. In fact, I bet she could hit the high notes in 'skull' much better than you could!!!

(1997) Impossible Princess credits:

Title Songwriters
"Too Far" Minogue
"Cowboy Style" Minogue, Steve Anderson, Dave Seaman
"Some Kind of Bliss" Minogue, James Dean Bradfield, Sean Moore Dave Eringa, Bradfield

"Did It Again" Minogue, Anderson, Seaman
"Breathe" Minogue, Dave Ball, Ingo Vauk
"Say Hey" Minogue
"Drunk" Minogue, Anderson, Seaman
"I Don't Need Anyone" Minogue, Bradfield, Nick Jones Eringa, Bradfield
"Jump" Minogue, Rob Dougan
"Limbo" Minogue, Ball, Vauk
"Through the Years" Minogue, Ball, Vauk
"Dreams" Minogue, Anderson, Seaman

On wikipedia, from this album onwards, you can see the rest of her writing credits. Thank God for Kylie!!

I'm pretty sure he wanted to rip into Razorlight when they attracted double the number of people he did at the Carling festival in 2004.

You appreciate Morrissey because he's bitter and hateful? :confused:

I appreciate him because I am.

Now they seem to want him to behave like a Pop Idol contestant.

Of course not.

Morrissey tears a lot of people apart, deservedly, because they don't have anything new or fresh to offer in music and because the Press are all too eager to foam over them. But the story is old. Morrissey is saying the same things again and again and again, and the older he gets the more petty it seems that he should continue bringing it up. Morrissey is above the sort of sycophant back-slapping dished out to Minogue and her contemporaries, he has nothing left to prove, so why can't he just accept that and stop whingeing about it?

Tags
austratastic!
Back
Top Bottom