Morrissey on "Later... with Jools Holland" (London, Oct. 3, 2017) - reminder / reports

UPDATE Oct. 7:

Posted by an anonymous person:

Posted by docinwestchester:

UPDATE Oct. 6:

Posted by Peanut:

The full show is tomorrow (Sat. 7th) at 11pm on BBC Two, not today as written in OP.

Posted by Springhealedkev:

I was at the Jools Holland show and he did 3 songs. The other 2 are ... ' I wish you lonely ' and 'all the young people must fall in love ' ... got so close to him but yet so far... thought we might see them in the bar after , but no.

Note posted by Johnny Barleycorn:

This edition is the short version. The full show will be on Friday.

Link to jools.holland.official / Instagram posted by an anonymous person:

40889_morrissey_jools.jpg

Last edited:
The widespread mauling of Morrissey's latest attempts at songwriting rather suggest otherwise. It's a joy to behold and puts a spring in my step.
^:crazy:
the songs we're hearing are simply BRILLIANT.

ENJOY !!!

No interview?

^:crazy:
the songs we're hearing are simply BRILLIANT.

ENJOY !!!

We're not talking about whether the songs are "brilliant". They obviously aren't, and everybody with critical faculties (and functioning ears) can hear that clearly. We're talking about whether Morrissey has disappointed people again - and the evidence from these boards shows that he has. And not in a way that he might intend.

He should stop being a shite lyricist/singer and just retire. He isn't likeable, personally, he treats people like shit, professionally, and when he dies (hopefully sooner, rather than later), the obituaries everywhere will remember him as somebody who was good for a while in the '80s, but who turned out, on further inspection, to be a friendless, closet-homosexual racist who lacked self-awareness or the basic capacity to make himself happy, despite the multitude of advantages in life that were bestowed upon him. Honestly, the only way he could save himself now would be to copy that bloke from the Manic Street Preachers and disappear for good.

We're not talking about whether the songs are "brilliant". They obviously aren't, and everybody with critical faculties (and functioning ears) can hear that clearly. We're talking about whether Morrissey has disappointed people again - and the evidence from these boards shows that he has. And not in a way that he might intend.

He should stop being a shite lyricist/singer and just retire. He isn't likeable, personally, he treats people like shit, professionally, and when he dies (hopefully sooner, rather than later), the obituaries everywhere will remember him as somebody who was good for a while in the '80s, but who turned out, on further inspection, to be a friendless, closet-homosexual racist who lacked self-awareness or the basic capacity to make himself happy, despite the multitude of advantages in life that were bestowed upon him. Honestly, the only way he could save himself now would be to copy that bloke from the Manic Street Preachers and disappear for good.

:rofl:

ENJOY !!!

Are you talking about majestic Algernon Charles Swinburne Anon IP Hash: ab1960ee07 ?
Great poet indeed.

Are you talking about majestic Algernon Charles Swinburne Anon IP Hash: ab1960ee07 ?
Great poet indeed.

Hmm, a bit to fleshy, sensually bloodcurdling (don't know if it's the right word for it, but it sounds good) for my taste. Not bad but heavy.
o_O

There are a few new bands out there that I like well enough. Soviet Soviet, Mountain Goats, Twilight Sad (despite their shit name) and a few others I'm not thinking of.

Twilight Sad sound like they have something in them and great to hear the singers scottish accent. Will give them a proper listen.

Who’s Julia?

How many times did you ask this question "anonymous"and you still don't know? Check the archives with the search facility, you lazy sod! ;)
Just kidding, but how can I separate one anonymous from the other, when they all have the same name? :rolleyes:
Don't bother answering cause it is impossible.

Who’s Julia?

Who are you?
Who, who, who, who?
Who are you?
Who, who, who, who?
Who are you?
Who, who, who, who?
Who are you?
Who, who, who, who?
I really wanna know
(Who are you?)
(Who, who, who, who?)
Ah who the f*** are you?

I think the theme of staying in bed/abstaining from life as an act of social rebellion is a really excellent one for a song. Obviously it's a fantasy as much as Shoplifters of the World Unite is, but I think a lot of us do it every now and again. Rather than being patronising, it's an amusing daydream that surely most people can relate to.

Maybe.

What if Prince William sang it, though? Those exact words. That exact tune.

It would not need to be changed a scintilla to be considered a disgusting attack on the working classes by a multi-millionaire who rarely comes into contact with humankind unless he wants something.

Here's something to give us an idea of the spread of who a lot of the people who watched the 30 minute Jools Holland show on Tuesday actually tuned in to see, judging by the number of views each performance received on the BBC Music YouTube page:

1. Josh Homme and Dean Fertita (QOTSA) - 110,000 views
2. Morrissey - 59,000 views
3. The National (2 videos) - 44,000 combined views
4. Jessie Ware - 13,000 views
5. Khalid - 4,000 views
6. Marty Stuart - 2,000 views

Josh Homme (particularly on Like the Way You Used to Do; let's see Morrissey try to hit that final note) and Jessie Ware (on Midnight) both blew Morrissey away vocally, by the way...

But Prince William was born into centuries of privilege.
Morrissey was immersed in a working class environment (OK, he didn't want a job) until his early 20s. Big difference.

Following what you're saying, all musicians, authors, screenwriters who've toiled away in obscurity among the enslaved masses should never be able to revisit or comment on that period later in their careers?

Having said that, Slum Mums is the worst song of Moz' entire discography!

EDIT: I wholeheartedly agree with Orson Swells' take on the song.

Maybe.

What if Prince William sang it, though? Those exact words. That exact tune.

It would not need to be changed a scintilla to be considered a disgusting attack on the working classes by a multi-millionaire who rarely comes into contact with humankind unless he wants something.

All the Young People... is a big, boozy, Lennon-esque number. I'm not crazy about some parts of the vocal melody and song progression, but it's certainly unique in the solo discography!

Bits of I Wish You Lonely and Jackie... remind me of b-sides like Have-a-Go Merchant and Don't Make Fun of Daddy's Voice respectively. Not significant songs, I'd say, but let's see how they are in the context of the album.

Tags
low in high school info

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom