Morrissey on "Later... with Jools Holland" (London, Oct. 3, 2017) - reminder / reports

UPDATE Oct. 7:

Posted by an anonymous person:

Posted by docinwestchester:

UPDATE Oct. 6:

Posted by Peanut:

The full show is tomorrow (Sat. 7th) at 11pm on BBC Two, not today as written in OP.

Posted by Springhealedkev:

I was at the Jools Holland show and he did 3 songs. The other 2 are ... ' I wish you lonely ' and 'all the young people must fall in love ' ... got so close to him but yet so far... thought we might see them in the bar after , but no.

Note posted by Johnny Barleycorn:

This edition is the short version. The full show will be on Friday.

Link to jools.holland.official / Instagram posted by an anonymous person:

40889_morrissey_jools.jpg

Last edited:
Set recorder to stunned!
26-Kirk.w529.h529.jpg

imgres

the only thing that will stun us is if Drools can be a decent interviewer.

Otherwise, looking forward to hearing the new songs again, I'm still floored by hearing them yesterday, SOooooo GOOD!
:rock:

Otherwise, looking forward to hearing the new songs again, I'm still floored by hearing them yesterday, SOooooo GOOD!
:rock:

You know I think it's illegal to be that positive about the new songs on here ;)

I'm as guilty as you are :)

You know I think it's illegal to be that positive about the new songs on here ;)

I'm as guilty as you are :)
Me too. I was lukewarm to 'Spent the day in bed' the first time I heard it, equating it in quality to a song like 'Ouija Board' (good but not a classic), but I've really started to like it now. That's a good sign for me because the albums I end up loving the most are often the ones I am ambivalent about on first listen.

think the problem is, people automatically compare the new songs with older ones without actually listening to the song they're listening to, so it's not possible for them to enjoy it in the first place !

One must surrender to music or all art to experience it at all. Maybe as people get older they have lost the ability to do this with their 'adult' minds crammed with useless 'better days' and a past that they are constantly comparing the present to, a present that will never live up or be as good as their 'glorious past' experiences, which are long dead, but still we retrieve them and shape them through memory as we see fit, but it's never the same as it once was, nor should it be.

play loud, relax, and enjoy them for what they are, and you'll hear them for what they are,which is... PERFECT and now.

Namaste, etc :)

Me too. I was lukewarm to 'Spent the day in bed' the first time I heard it, equating it in quality to a song like 'Ouija Board' (good but not a classic), but I've really started to like it now. That's a good sign for me because the albums I end up loving the most are often the ones I am ambivalent about on first listen.

Last edited:
No, the problem is, he doesnt write with the same poetic creativity or lyrical depth anymore. And his band are shit.

think the problem is, people automatically compare the new songs with older ones without actually listening to the song they're listening to, so it's not possible for them to enjoy it in the first place !

One must surrender to music or all art to experience it at all. Maybe as people get older they have lost the ability to do this with their 'adult' minds crammed with useless 'better days' and a past that they are constantly comparing the present to, a present that will never live up or be as good as their 'glorious past' experiences, which are long dead, but still we retrieve them and shape them through memory as we see fit, but it's never the same as it once was, nor should it be.

play loud, relax, and enjoy them for what they are, and you'll hear them for what they are,which is... PERFECT and now.

Namaste, etc :)

I agree completely. We have those old songs. We can listen to them whenever we want. It's not like someone's taking Vauxhall & I away from us and replacing it with this new album.

If you don't like the new stuff then fare enough have your say but don't bring other people down or criticise them for likeing it.

I agree completely. We have those old songs. We can listen to them whenever we want. It's not like someone's taking Vauxhall & I away from us and replacing it with this new album.

If you don't like the new stuff then fare enough have your say but don't bring other people down or criticise them for likeing it.

But the reverse is OK, right?

No, the problem is, he doesnt write with the same poetic creativity or lyrical depth anymore. And his band are shit.

Since Morrissey is a lyricist/singer he needs to be given music to work with or he writes books. He seems content to work with mediocre music where he writes mediocre lyrics. Jack the Ripper (from the 6 Music Live set) stood out as a bittersweet reminder of a time when this wasn't the case. I'm not saying all the new stuff will suck - we haven't even heard it all - but just a general comment on where I see his music now.

how many songs will be get - 3?

i have to agree, the quality of the writing is no where near what it was. it used to be deep, where you had to think about what he was singing, and still not be exaclty sure what he was trying to convey. there was also usually a killer turn of a phrase, such as i dearly wish i was NOT here. one single, well place word in an otherwise ordinary line. that was his genius . the closest ive see to that in the past couple of years is when he said at the BBC we are up at the crack of noon. the new and recent songs are very obvious, blunt , and direct. no imagery. also repetitive, like he is running out of lyrical gas well before 3 min is up.

they sound like songs from people just starting to write their very first songs. we will always have the old songs, and they will hold up well for ever, but i fear the well may have run dry. compare his recent " political" stuff to margaret in the guillotine , and you'll know what i mean.

His band played really well yesterday. Some of the new songs need tightening, but show me flaws in the older material being played. Even the Whirled Peas numbers.

how many songs will be get - 3?

There are 2 versions of the show, a short one tonight and an extended one on Friday so perhaps people attending can say how many get recorded, I'd say tonight 2 and on Friday 3

Because Morrissey himself is of course positivity personified.
He would have been the first one to denounce the shite being recorded/released had this been one of his musical heroes.

It only hurts because it's true.

Funny, I made a comment about people comparing the older to the newer, and advised that if they just surrendered to the present songs without comparison of past songs they would then I'm sure enjoy them, but instead all the comments that followed just continued with making comparisons ! :lbf:doh:

play loud, relax, enjoy. ... I'm sure your lives would be so much better for it.

Namaste, etc :tiphat:

Because Morrissey himself is of course positivity personified.
He would have been the first one to denounce the shite being recorded/released had this been one of his musical heroes.

It only hurts because it's true.
:rofl:^

the only people that are hurt are the ones living in the past, and are too hard headed to be open to a person gifting us with what they are now, YOU COULD ALWAYS LEAVE THE PARTY, no one would care or notice.

:tiphat:

see/hear what you want, it'll only do you harm.

Tags
low in high school info

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom