Morrissey on George Lopez show (09/12/09)

Re: Morrissey on George Lopez show

Sigh. Of course it's a joke. I think that whole part of the song is tongue-in-cheek. I also think it's annoying and condescending for some of us to say Moz is unduly ignorant of his ungrammatical faux-Spanish. He obviously knows it's not grammatical and that it isn't really Spanish.

Sigh. Of course it's a joke. I think that whole part of the song is tongue-in-cheek. I also think it's annoying and condescending for some of us to say Moz is unduly ignorant of his ungrammatical faux-Spanish. He obviously knows it's not grammatical and that it isn't really Spanish.

Okay. Then you're just not funny.:straightface:

Why hasn't any good friend told Morrissey he got that spanish word wrong? "DIVERTES" means nothing. All it take is someone telling it to his face.

Thing is he is actually singing "D I V I E R T E S" which IS a word - so your point is?

I'm a little confused. When you translate the word "divertes" in a sentence on internet translating sites, it translates it to the word funny or fun. If it's not a word, or a commonly used slang word, why does it translate?

I'm a little confused. When you translate the word "divertes" in a sentence on internet translating sites, it translates it to the word funny or fun. If it's not a word, or a commonly used slang word, why does it translate?

It's blatantly an incorrect attempt at the Spanish translation of "Don't make fun of daddy", I don't understand how people could think it was anything else :squiffy:

The part in Spanish is discussed in here

According to JLA75 "no te diviertes con papi" translates to "don't amuse yourself with daddy".

Possibly Morrissey's artistic instinct chose those words because they fit with the melody.

May I? :)

The proper Spanish translation of "don't make fun of daddy" would be "no te burlas de papi" (well, according to a combination of my OK Spanish and an online dictionary). "No te diviertes con papi" works too, it's just the pronunciation that he keeps getting wrong, but I think he knows that. :D

The part in Spanish is discussed in here

According to JLA75 "no te diviertes con papi" translates to "don't amuse yourself with daddy".

Possibly Morrissey's artistic instinct chose those words because they fit with the melody.

that's absolutely correct.
Just saying, ringorosso, that when he says "devertes" or "divertes", he's not saying it correctly. I'm not trying to be a pain, everybody knows by now I'm from South America and make mistakes, but he only uses a handful of Spanish words in his life and I know I would love it for someone to correct me.

I just think that some people will take offense of anything and jump to "defend" Morrissey like he's watching and will like them more for doing so.

Last edited:

May I? :)

The proper Spanish translation of "don't make fun of daddy" would be "no te burlas de papi" (well, according to a combination of my OK Spanish and an online dictionary). "No te diviertes con papi" works too, it's just the pronunciation that he keeps getting wrong, but I think he knows that. :D

It'd be "no te burles de papi".:thumb:

I think people are forgetting what the song is called.

Daddy doesn't speak properly as something got stuck in his throat (a penis most likely) therefore his diction (pun intended) is not clear...hence the mispronounced word in the final refrain.

I think people are forgetting what the song is called.

Daddy doesn't speak properly as something got stuck in his throat (a penis most likely) therefore his diction (pun intended) is not clear...hence the mispronounced word in the final refrain.

You know what, your effort is commendable, so :thumb:, whatever you say :)

I loved seeing Collin!

Back
Top Bottom