Morrissey on Desert Island Discs - 29 Nov 2009

I find it interesting that he says he is baffled that everyone is still locked in the past and only want to talk about The Smiths as if they're better than his solo stuff .. yet look at his selection of songs .. they're all from yesteryear .. nothing from more recent times. Can he really blame people for being still smiths obsessed over solo work when he himself is seemingly locked in the past for music?

I agree with this. I sometimes wonder if it's an act, the image he wants to portray to the public, like his schtick being the guy whose stuck in the past and thinks only his band is the last great band and the only other great music lead up to the formation of his band. If it isn't though, he needs to embrace current artists because this Morrissey that I read on the transcript is the Morrissey who is saying "Adios! I'm handing over the wheel to the kids." and he has to realize that he can't let that part of him which is deeply imbedded control the show. This is a zillion times more complicated then I'm capable of explaining and I'm sure it sounds like I'm being an asshole know-it-all, but I don't mean to be. He makes a point of saying that he's one physical person, but he has to make that distinction because he's overcompensating for knowing the truth that he isn't, he's three. And he has to choose his other half who if I'm not mistaken he already has, happens to be running the current show of artists who he routinely dismisses. Like I say, super complicated, but he gets roboted into dissing himself and it's definitely a learning experience for him I hope. Not easy stuff.

Oh right. The horses. I had forgotten.

Well, all you had to do was step outside and you would have seen them too, the other day. No need to have a go at lovely couples for that.:rolleyes:

Bit spooky, that horses line no? I mean you could have said "zebras". (There weren't any.) Yet They're cool too. Me I like donkeys best. I think they look kind...

Anyway. None of this matters. (Boy that's a really high fence! I think you'd better go around)

(Pigeons: check. Yeh. That too. Funny eh. You could have just said cockatoo)(homo word).

Anyway.

Last edited:
And not to fill up another thread with my crazy talk, but barking's talking about zebras for some reason and I don't know where else to put this thought so I'll put it here.

Another person who uses their artistry to discuss a time when things were more analog, a time I happen to feel very comfortable in myself, is Wes Anderson. Morrissey really should go see a matinee of Fantastic Mr. Fox. The references to file folders and old stationary and old fashioned animatronics set to music from a diffrent era, it's a lot like Morrissey choosing all pre-70's music. But the story is an old one as well, about a fox who steals birds and a son who is different who has to figure out a way to fill his dad's shoes. Oddly enough, Morrissey is like all the characters, mostly Mrs Fox who disapproves of the shenanigans while being forced to be caught up in it. The thing to make note of is that Mr. Fox doesn't mention the opossum's name because he is the oracle:

Didelphimorphia

and I think Mr Fox might be a tad intimidated by that, hence the lack of acknowledgement. Anyway, modern cinema, modern actors, old story, your story, all of our story. In a way, this very interview is like a stolen bird.

Try to avoid the previews, they're cringe-worthy.

Last edited:
And not to fill up another thread with my crazy talk, but barking's talking about zebras for some reason

Well CG it's just that I've just noticed that in a very funny way, the universe is conspiring against our (yours/ everybody's) Morrissey.:D So you were right.:bow:

He should try feeding the pigeons. Doesn't he know that it gives you a sense of enooormous well being? Barklife!

He does. Deep inside.:lbf: He does it all the time...He wouldn't if he didn't enjoy it in some way.

Well CG it's just that I've just noticed that in a very funny way, the universe is conspiring against our (yours/ everybody's) Morrissey.:D So you were right.:bow:

He should try feeding the pigeons. Doesn't he know that it gives you a sense of enooormous well being? Barklife!

He does. Deep inside.:lbf: He does it all the time...He wouldn't if he didn't enjoy it in some way.

Bleh. I just wanna get laid some day but I've set my standards so ridiculously high it's not looking good.

Bleh. I just wanna get laid some day but I've set my standards so ridiculously high it's not looking good.

I've set my standards ridiculously low but it's not looking good either. Although someone at work likes me. And it's not mutual.:thumb:

But that's no reason to not feed animals.:mad:

I find it interesting that he says he is baffled that everyone is still locked in the past and only want to talk about The Smiths as if they're better than his solo stuff .. yet look at his selection of songs .. they're all from yesteryear .. nothing from more recent times. Can he really blame people for being still smiths obsessed over solo work when he himself is seemingly locked in the past for music?

Maybe a lot of "us" are a lot like "him"......he says music of today is bland/boring, perhaps we feel the same and that's why we prefer his older catalog.

Last edited:
Maybe a lot of "us" are a lot like "him"......he says music of today is bland/boring, perhaps we feel the same and that's why we prefer his older catalog.

Sometimes it helps your soul to use fresh water to wash away the dust or whatever. Just sayin. Doesn't have to be Kylie Minogue.

He sounds old, tired, fed up, cranky, detached, depressed, haughty, at the peak of misanthropy, he laughs like a maniac, and you can hear the Moor wind blowing through his teeth when he speaks. How could the horses not welcome him with open legs.:lbf:

What could cheer him up?
Meds? Alcohol? Italians? Michael Jackson's doctor? Digging his own grave?

A nice horsekick in the arse would probably do it, but go find a horse.:crazy:

Enjoyed it greatly,
also apart from Klaus Nomi has he not loved a record post 1975?

Morrissey's something look forward to

He sounds old, tired, fed up, cranky, detached, depressed, haughty, at the peak of misanthropy, he laughs like a maniac, and you can hear the Moor wind blowing through his teeth when he speaks. How could the horses not welcome him with open legs.:lbf:

What could cheer him up?
Meds? Alcohol? Italians? Michael Jackson's doctor? Digging his own grave?

A nice horsekick in the arse would probably do it, but go find a horse.

:rolleyes:
Don't worry, Morrissey's mother is going to record BBC 2 Saturday 5th December's Alan Benett Night from 19:20.

Sometimes it helps your soul to use fresh water to wash away the dust or whatever. Just sayin. Doesn't have to be Kylie Minogue.

I no doubt sense the frustration in your comment.

I'll go on record saying that I when I go to a Morrissey show, I go hoping to hear Smiths tunes. Don't get me wrong, I like his solo work but I feel that a lot of his solo work doesn't hold a candle to the Smiths catalog. Again, that's me.

I agree with this. I sometimes wonder if it's an act, the image he wants to portray to the public, like his schtick being the guy whose stuck in the past and thinks only his band is the last great band and the only other great music lead up to the formation of his band. If it isn't though, he needs to embrace current artists because this Morrissey that I read on the transcript is the Morrissey who is saying "Adios! I'm handing over the wheel to the kids." and he has to realize that he can't let that part of him which is deeply imbedded control the show. This is a zillion times more complicated then I'm capable of explaining and I'm sure it sounds like I'm being an asshole know-it-all, but I don't mean to be. He makes a point of saying that he's one physical person, but he has to make that distinction because he's overcompensating for knowing the truth that he isn't, he's three. And he has to choose his other half who if I'm not mistaken he already has, happens to be running the current show of artists who he routinely dismisses. Like I say, super complicated, but he gets roboted into dissing himself and it's definitely a learning experience for him I hope. Not easy stuff.
Morrissey could have been a different person in The Smiths, he said he changed since The Smiths and he's right....He did change shortly into his solo career. Bring back James Dean Morrissey!
Did anyone read The Sun? "The Gloomy Ex-Smiths Singer said he'd take sleeping pills to make a quick exit on a desert island" Haha

Last edited by a moderator:
Morrissey could have been a different person in The Smiths, he said he changed since The Smiths and he's right....He did change shortly into his solo career. Bring back James Dean Morrissey!
Did anyone read The Sun? "The Gloomy Ex-Smiths Singer said he'd take sleeping pills to make a quick exit on a desert island" Haha

Mozz still sometimes plays with pictures of James Dean in the background, doesn't he?

Back
Top Bottom