Morrissey not dropped by Harvest; album pulled from all services at Morrissey's request - Billboard

An anonymous person posts the link:

Morrissey Probably Won't Be Taking His Option for a Second Record with Harvest
- Billboard

Excerpt:

According to a source familiar with the situation, "Morrissey has not been dropped by [Harvest Records, a subsidiary of Capitol Music Group, itself a subsidiary of Universal Music Group] but out of deference to his request they have reluctantly removed his album from all services."

It's believed that Morrissey signed a licensing deal with Harvest for one album (World Peace Is None of Your Business), with an option for a second. But, according to press reports, Morrissey grew unhappy with the label when it didn't make a music video for album track "Istanbul." Morrissey, who seems to have made a habit of going to war with whatever label he is signed to, started publicly fighting with the Harvest 2-3 weeks after the album was released in the U.S. on July 15.

Since its release the album has sold 25,000 units -- 15,000 CDs, 3,000 LPs and 8,000 digital downloads, according to Nielsen SoundScan. With those kind of sales numbers for the physical formats, Billboard speculates that Harvest probably built about 50,000 physical units for the U.S. market. That means there is still plenty of World Peace stock left for Morrissey fans to track down, if they're so inclined. And if Morrissey demands that Harvest get those CD and vinyl albums back, good luck to the combative artist if he thinks store merchants will fully comply with such a request from Harvest.

Related media:

Related items:

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Morrissey not dropped by Harvest; album pulled from all services at Morrissey's request - Billbo

Oh, FFS! I'm getting a headache from all of this. The drama train has derailed in Whothef***caresville!

Re: Morrissey not dropped by Harvest; album pulled from all services at Morrissey's request - Billbo

Let's say you had to explain this in a point-by-point fashion. Where would you start? Where would you end? What would you say?

Let's say you had to explain this in a point-by-point fashion. Where would you start? Where would you end? What would you say?

I agree. This is one of the strangest episodes in Morrissey's career -- which is really saying something!

Oh, FFS! I'm getting a headache from all of this. The drama train has derailed in Whothef***caresville!

Same.

Hm... so if you pulling it creates unavailability. Unavailability of the album I guess is better than admitting that the album will not sell because it is subpar. Whatever. It will always be available through the internet. Let's see...

Hollywood Bowl? "I won't release it." (It's on youtube and torrent sites right now )
Wolverhampton 88? "I won't release it." (It's on youtube and torrent sites right now )
Demo's and Outtakes? "I won't release it." (It's on youtube and torrent sites right now )

I could go on.

For all the apologists out there I offer you this. If someone has a problem with various record companies on a consistent basis over many years, maybe it is not the record companies.

"Morrissey is urgently seeking a label to issue World Peace Is None of Your Business, which is now withdrawn from the Capitol-Harvest Records catalogue".

Erm I bet the labels are foaming at the mouth and forming an unorderly queue.....I mean he's clearly easy to deal with!

There are so many people streaming the album now it seems silly to use it as ransom. :squiffy: Everyone has access to it. I'm so confused.

There are so many people streaming the album now it seems silly to use it as ransom. :squiffy: Everyone has access to it. I'm so confused.

Plus, do not forget the harsh fact: THE ALBUM SUCKS.

By the way, Morrissey is still on Twitter!

The key phrases "a source familiar with the situation" and "it's believed that" stand out to me more than anything here. Harvest STILL have not made any kind of statement whatsoever on the matter—remember, even the initial "denial" of Morrissey having been dropped (also published on Billboard.com, who now know how many clicks a story like this will generate) didn't come from Harvest, it came from another (or the same, who knows) unnamed "source." There was never any reference to a statement from Harvest other than the erroneous re-reports published elsewhere that cited Billboard.

Unless Harvest are actually willing to make a statement or comment AT ALL, I really have no one's word here to consider other than Morrissey's.

Plus, do not forget the harsh fact: THE ALBUM SUCKS.

By the way, Morrissey is still on Twitter!

FAN FNA F&A screw you and your masquerade party.

We're all used to Moz making wayward decisions and statements. It's symptomatic of chronic depression. And we all lost a much-loved clown recently. Depression is a hideous illness that affects you physically as well as mentally. It can also cause you to to chronically self-sabotage. So here we are...

FAN FNA F&A screw you and your masquerade party.

Or: if you were expecting an album that sounds like EDILS or Speedway, it doesn't. Kiss me Alot is a gem and other songs are good.

I agree. This is one of the strangest episodes in Morrissey's career -- which is really saying something!

Any explanation would sound so far fetched. Although, I am sure the people at Harvest are as incompetent as he let's on.

The stores are already full of copies of 'World Peace'. Anyone who wanted to buy it can already do so. Why on earth would any record label want to press any more copies of it, if there are currently CDs sat unsold on the racks?

Harvest sells it's rights to release WPINOYB to Mike Joyce for 50p.

I was going to say "full circle," but that's really more of a full spherical polygon.

if harvest have no right to sell the album will they still collect money from the physical copies still out there when they eventually sell? any new label will probably get the rights to world peace along with the rights to a new yet to be recorded album. in that case they have no loss to put it out, world peace, through them (whoever they may be). promotion is already done for the most part, it would mostly just be a distribution issue/cost though they would probably just buy the rights to the profit from the albums that already exist. hell any new label would be only getting free publicity with all the drama at no cost to themselves as the recording and graphic designs are already paid for and these stories are generating more news than anything harvest did to promote the album itself. i

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom