Morrissey: Norway massacre is "nothing" compared to the actions of fast food chains

Once again he shoots himself in the foot.

Morrissey: 'Norway Attacks Nothing Compared To Actions Of Fast Good Giants' - Gigwise
He claims...

Morrissey has courted criticism after he reportedly compared the actions of fast food companies to the recent attacks in Norway.

At least 76 people died last week in two separate attacks which were both orchestrated by far-right extremist Anders Behring Breivik.

Morrissey, a staunch vegetarian, made reference the massacre during a performance in at Stodola Club in Warsaw, Poland earlier this week, according to the Daily Mirror.

Before playing The Smiths' song 'Meat is Murder', he is quoted as saying: “We all live in a murderous world, as the events in Norway have shown, with 97 dead.

“Though that is nothing compared to what happens in McDonald’s and Kentucky Fried Sh*t every day.”

Video footage of Morrissey performing the song has been published on YouTube, but it omits his alleged introduction.

Morrissey's comment is the latest in a string of outbursts in recent months, many of which have focussed on animal welfare.

Link from Tingle3:

Morrissey says Norway massacre is "nothing" compared to the actions of fast food chains - Daily Mirror
by Ashleigh Rainbird

MORRISSEY has sparked outrage after saying the tragedy in Norway was “nothing” compared to the actions of fast food chains.

The controversial singer, 52, made his remark while on stage at a gig in Warsaw on Sunday night.

Before launching into his hit Meat is Murder, the outspoken vegetarian made reference to the horrific events last Friday.

Referring to the death toll as thought at the time he said: “We all live in a murderous world, as the events in Norway have shown, with 97 dead. Though that is nothing compared to what happens in McDonald’s and Kentucky Fried S*** every day.”

Two nights earlier the singer introduced the same song with another lambasting of the brands.

Gig-goers took to his fan sites to condemn the his outburst. One wrote: “The killing of children compared to KFC & McDonald’s?!!! What an ass****!”

Another wrote: “I really don’t know if that is *forgivable? Or of any use to the vegetarian cause?”

A spokesman said last night: “Morrissey has decided not to comment any further as he believes his statement speaks for itself.”

Update 10/18/2011:

Sistasheila posted the link to the video and actual words spoken during the concert:

"Despite the love, we do live on a murderous planet,
as you will have seen over the last few days in Norway.
Murder murder murder.
But really, every single day, worse things happen in KFC and McDonalds.
Murder, murder, murder, murder, murder..."

Link from inourbritches:
Morrissey: 'McDonald's, KFC worse than Norway massacre' - Digital Spy

Also, links posted by anonymous persons in the Warsaw post-show:
Meat biz worse than Norway: Morrissey - LFPress / Wenn.com
Morrissey lekceważąco o norweskiej tragedii - Interia.pl
Morrissey: – Massakren i Norge er ingenting mot massakren på Mc Donald's hver dag - tv2.no

80s Icon in Hot Water, a Facebook Status Leads To an Arrest, and a Whale Thanks its Rescuers in a Touching Way - Yahoo! News blog. Link from Desert Bee.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Article: Morrissey: Norway massacre is "nothing" compared to the actions of fast

“We all live in a murderous world, as the events in Norway have shown, with 97 dead. Though that is nothing compared to what happens in McDonald’s and Kentucky Fried Sh*t every day.”

I am a meat eater, so while I do not necessarily agree with him, I can see his viewpoint here. Firstly, I think the '97 dead. Though that is nothing compared to...' quote could be taken as a purely numerical comparison. 97 people - yes, that's terrible, but thousands of animals are killed by these companies and others every day, in horrific and distressing ways.

Now, you may be of the viewpoint that even one human life is worth more than any number of animals, but some people take the position that all life is equal. People, dogs, cats, cows, deer, chickens - all the same. Now, if you believe a human life is worth more than say, a horse, look at your reasons. Is it because humans are more 'intelligent'? Does that mean the lives of clever humans are worth more than stupid people?

There is another argument that states that as long as we keep on thinking of animals as 'lesser' creatures, there for us to do what we want with, and as long as we keep mistreating and killing them, we will never stop killing other humans, through murder and war. And I can see that the day we stop killing chickens because we see they have the same right to life as us, is going to make killing each other seem even more insane than it does now. There's a saying 'he wouldn't harm a fly', often used to show disbelief that someone would hurt or kill another person - because if he respects the existence of even the lowliest of creatures, how could he not do the same for a fellow human?
A lot of serial killers start out as kids who torture and kill animals.

Now, for those of you saying that Morrissey writes good songs but he's not qualified to speak on such weighty matters, let's allow that and bring in some bigger guns who have argued along similar lines in the past:

"As long as there are slaughter houses there will always be battlefields."~Leo Tolstoy

"The time will come when men such as I will look upon the murder of animals as they now look on the murder of men."~Leonardo Da Vinci

"The animals of the world exist for their own reasons. They were not made for humans any more than black people were made for white, or women created for men." ~Alice Walker

"The assumption that animals are without rights and the illusion that our treatment of them has no moral significance is a positively outrageous example of Western crudity and barbarity. Universal compassion is the only guarantee of morality." ~Schopenhauer

"As long as people will shed the blood of innocent creatures there can be no peace, no liberty, no harmony between people. Slaughter and justice cannot dwell together." ~Isaac Bashevis Singer

"Until he extends the circle of compassion to all living things, man will not himself find peace." ~Albert Schweitzer

"For as long as men massacre animals, they will kill each other. Indeed, he who sows the seed of murder and pain cannot reap joy and love." ~Pythagoras

Anyway, I think that what Morrissey was saying in his clumsy way is that both things are terrible, and if you believe that animals are our equals as he does, then they both are. That may not be your view, but there was a time during the slaving era, that black people were regarded as nothing more than property - sometimes thrown overboard from slave ships for insurance purposes. (http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/aia/part1/1h280.html) The prevailing view can change.

I think all Morrissey can be accused of here is a lack of tact. If someone you loved had been murdered and when you told a friend they said 'Well that's terrible, but McDonalds murders thousands of cows every day', you wouldn't be too pleased. BUt of course, Morrissey was addressing a small crowd from the stage in a different country, not talking to a grieving Norwegian parent, and the only way his comment would get back to those Norwegian parents is when the media sees fit to report these comments to stir up trouble and controversy. And that's what they're doing - just look how many headlines say something along the lines of 'Moz says McD's WORSE than Norway massacre'. No, he doesn't say it's worse. He says the numbers of dead are small by comparison. Still a shocking statement if you disagree that all types of life are equal, but not quite the same.

Let's all not react with the moral outrage that the tabloids are constantly trying to prod us into, and stop and think for a second instead. Unlike Morrissey on occasion.

Thursday, 28 July 2011
"You b******s. "

"Honestly, you can't make this stuff up. I defend animals at Krakow (on Sunday) and my comments are twisted and put in all the newspapers as front page news by Thursday. Now I ask you - if this was really about news, don't you think the story might have been covered on Monday?? You can bet that man has been emailing this story to all the news desks, along with quotations from his website attacking me, in a desperate ploy to whip up some publicity and draw in a few desperate newbies to his moribund website. It's shocking what depths certain people will plumb to drum up trade when their careers appear to be going down the pan. Disgusting."

Morrissey

www.morrisseysworld.blogspot.com

the smiths was my favourite group, and i have every record of morrissey...i'm sad...
i will not buy or listen to anything he releases henceforth...
...from an apalled norwegiean...

Re: Article: Morrissey: 'Norway Attacks Nothing Compared To Actions Of Fast Good Gian

Perfectly, exactly wrong. The concept of "speciesism" is central to the animal rights movement, as you'd know if you read perhaps the most famous work on the matter, Peter Singer's Animal Liberation.

Those of you who roll your eyes at Morrissey on these matters have it exactly backwards. He's over your proudly middlebrow heads.

So basically your post is "hey look what book i read" The real truth that is over your head is that you do not matter.

Re: Article: Morrissey: Norway massacre is "nothing" compared to the actions of fast

"A spokesman said last night: “Morrissey has decided not to comment any further as he believes his statement speaks for itself.”

I give him credit for not embarrassing himself any further.

He must be a very sick man!!! This is so sad. I will destroy my Morrissey and The Smiths album.

9 do you think the 80s morrissey would have been a fan of the 2011 morrissey?

he definiteley would.

I think so too, and I am a fan of both incarnations. But that was the easiest question to answer by far of the many I posed.

Re: Article: Morrissey: 'Norway Attacks Nothing Compared To Actions Of Fast Good Gian

Now, from today an ex-fan .After 15 years it is over .I can not be a fan of a man with such stupidity .Morrissey-solo : goodbye .Take care .

regards

P. Norway

Do people realize that the longer the essay they write, the more chance people aren't going to bother reading it?

"Brevity is the soul of wit" -Hamlet.
(you can throw in insight, as well).

If you can't get your thoughts across in a few sentences, think about streamlining things. I respect your opinions but generally, as a heads up, people don't want to read a soliloquy.

Thanks.

I think Morrissey has Aspergers Syndrome.

as someone who works in that arena, i've thought this for years.

Yes Mr Morrissey, i agree "It's shocking what depths certain people will plumb to drum up trade when their careers appear to be going down the pan. Disgusting." I would just like to add "very very disgusting, disgraceful and apalling to your post.

As a huge Morrissey fan for almost 30 years, it is with deep sorrow this relationship now has ended. I am as many other Norwegians in this very small country, directly involved in this extreme tragedy. We have lost so many of our youngest in the most cruel and bestial way. The sympathy we have received from all over the world will help us through this hell on earth. Morrisseys statement on Sunday has made our sadness and grief even worse. Goodbye Morrissey!

and if he is a vegan it is not????

Of course not.

If he is not vegan then what he basically says is that killing animals is bad but torturing them is just a-okay.

And I am just refering to his statements against animal cruelty in general. The Norway comment is just nuts.

the smiths was my favourite group, and i have every record of morrissey...i'm sad...
i will not buy or listen to anything he releases henceforth...
...from an apalled norwegiean...

Dont' worry about buying anything he releases going forward, he released it all, at least six times.

“We all live in a murderous world, as the events in Norway have shown, with 97 dead. Though that is nothing compared to what happens in McDonald’s and Kentucky Fried Sh*t every day.”

I am a meat eater, so while I do not necessarily agree with him, I can see his viewpoint here. Firstly, I think the '97 dead. Though that is nothing compared to...' quote could be taken as a purely numerical comparison. 97 people - yes, that's terrible, but thousands of animals are killed by these companies and others every day, in horrific and distressing ways.

Now, you may be of the viewpoint that even one human life is worth more than any number of animals, but some people take the position that all life is equal. People, dogs, cats, cows, deer, chickens - all the same. Now, if you believe a human life is worth more than say, a horse, look at your reasons. Is it because humans are more 'intelligent'? Does that mean the lives of clever humans are worth more than stupid people?

There is another argument that states that as long as we keep on thinking of animals as 'lesser' creatures, there for us to do what we want with, and as long as we keep mistreating and killing them, we will never stop killing other humans, through murder and war. And I can see that the day we stop killing chickens because we see they have the same right to life as us, is going to make killing each other seem even more insane than it does now. There's a saying 'he wouldn't harm a fly', often used to show disbelief that someone would hurt or kill another person - because if he respects the existence of even the lowliest of creatures, how could he not do the same for a fellow human?
A lot of serial killers start out as kids who torture and kill animals.

Now, for those of you saying that Morrissey writes good songs but he's not qualified to speak on such weighty matters, let's allow that and bring in some bigger guns who have argued along similar lines in the past:

"As long as there are slaughter houses there will always be battlefields."~Leo Tolstoy

"The time will come when men such as I will look upon the murder of animals as they now look on the murder of men."~Leonardo Da Vinci

"The animals of the world exist for their own reasons. They were not made for humans any more than black people were made for white, or women created for men." ~Alice Walker

"The assumption that animals are without rights and the illusion that our treatment of them has no moral significance is a positively outrageous example of Western crudity and barbarity. Universal compassion is the only guarantee of morality." ~Schopenhauer

"As long as people will shed the blood of innocent creatures there can be no peace, no liberty, no harmony between people. Slaughter and justice cannot dwell together." ~Isaac Bashevis Singer

"Until he extends the circle of compassion to all living things, man will not himself find peace." ~Albert Schweitzer

"For as long as men massacre animals, they will kill each other. Indeed, he who sows the seed of murder and pain cannot reap joy and love." ~Pythagoras

Anyway, I think that what Morrissey was saying in his clumsy way is that both things are terrible, and if you believe that animals are our equals as he does, then they both are. That may not be your view, but there was a time during the slaving era, that black people were regarded as nothing more than property - sometimes thrown overboard from slave ships for insurance purposes. (http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/aia/part1/1h280.html) The prevailing view can change.

I think all Morrissey can be accused of here is a lack of tact. If someone you loved had been murdered and when you told a friend they said 'Well that's terrible, but McDonalds murders thousands of cows every day', you wouldn't be too pleased. BUt of course, Morrissey was addressing a small crowd from the stage in a different country, not talking to a grieving Norwegian parent, and the only way his comment would get back to those Norwegian parents is when the media sees fit to report these comments to stir up trouble and controversy. And that's what they're doing - just look how many headlines say something along the lines of 'Moz says McD's WORSE than Norway massacre'. No, he doesn't say it's worse. He says the numbers of dead are small by comparison. Still a shocking statement if you disagree that all types of life are equal, but not quite the same.

Let's all not react with the moral outrage that the tabloids are constantly trying to prod us into, and stop and think for a second instead. Unlike Morrissey on occasion.

Animals are on the earth to be eaten by man. Food chains.....thats why you all have teeth.

No... some of us such as myself get it. We understand what Singer says and why Morrissey says the things he does. We disagree with it. Morrissey is not above my head. I disagree with him and think he is an ass. I do not need to be anonymous to share my views of how ignorant and stupid he sounds today.

I said it in the forum and I will say it here. I wonder what his statement would have been had his family been killed in the London Train Bombings? Would he say it was horrible but the real tragedy is the consumption of meat.

The guy is a jackass.

Very well said. As I posted earlier, I just don't get how he can equate animal killing with the killing of innocent human lives--so young. These youngsters were probably playing games in the water--just being kids.

People need to call him on this.

I honestly think Morrissey is losing his mind.

[Why doesnt he speak for himself searching fans for meat or whatever when he aligns himself to people he loves cooking meat on his video aka nancy sinatra not tjat i give a flying but if you think you have the right to search paying note paying fans who care to frequent your venue i think youve got a rotten stickin cheek you have nancy sinatra cookin chicken and then dismiss anyone with raw mince in their bag..god knows why theyd have it but guess its between u and wicked witch of the west riley why that would occur you are one big hypocritical bastard

ireneQUOTE=Anonymous;1986665398]"A spokesman said last night: “Morrissey has decided not to comment any further as he believes his statement speaks for itself.”

I give him credit for not embarrassing himself any further.[/QUOTE]

Very ignorant statement on behalf of Morrissey. I understand his views on vegetarianism but to compare that to the killing of innocent people is just wrong. Fast food is clearly an optional choice. KFC and McDonalds do not force people to eat their products. The killings in Norway were innocent people who were killed by an extremist. Knowing the type of selfish person Morrissey is, i don't expect to hear an apology. Statements like these are why i will no longer pay for or attend anything Morrissey related.

f*** MORRISEY!!

Sick bastard!! Dont you lowlife ever come to Norway ! Stay away!! IDIOT and sick pervert!!

I don't think hes saying that the happenings in Norway are nothing, I think hes saying that he sees no difference between humans and animals and millions of animals are slaughtered all the time, just a different perspective. Simple as that. And he has the point.

Back
Top Bottom