Morrissey NME libel case latest

From Morrissey's statement then

My heart sank as Tim Jonze let slip the tell-all editorial directive behind this interview: "It's Conor's view that Morrissey thinks black people are OK ...but he wouldn't want one living next door to him." It was then that I realized the full extent of the setup, and I felt like Bob Hoskins in the final frame of The Long Good Friday as he sits in the back of the wrong getaway car realizing the extent of the conspiratorial slime that now trapped him

Hee hee hee.

Setup or not, that is a f***ing brilliant riposte. Powerfully and meticulously worded.

Setup or not, that is a f***ing brilliant riposte. Powerfully and meticulously worded.

BUt I've never the seen film :rolleyes:

Evans. :mad: GRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Hate.

The piece from 'The Guardian' website is printed as a full-page-3 stunner in todays paper ~ "The slight that never goes out?"
It's all subjective of course, but having just read yesterdays insufferably smug and cosy 'Guardian Interview' with Jarvis Cocker ("the heir to Alan Bennet"...apparently), this report of Morrissey possibly letting loose his legal eagles on the NME was strangely thrilling. For all Cocker's talk of being this awkward outsider artist, he's actually snugly adored by the mainstream and indie media alike.
Morrissey is the same awkward bugger now as he was in '83. Some may not like the myriad forms in which that 'awkwardness' manifests itself, but if he wasn't like that we wouldn't be getting the art he produces. I may not want to go for a pint with him. I don't need to. I have friends for that purpose. What I need from artists is not 'great bloke' but 'great art'. Shunned by Mail and Guardian alike, NME, BBC, EDL and LMHR, he still cannot truly find a place. He's never going to slip in to the revered elder statesman figure of yer Weller, Cave, Costello et al. And it's not just a question of the work. There's something more.
Amidst the 2004 euphoria of the 'Quarry' comeback I always had a queasy sensation that this will turn again, and the queasiness came, I think, from an impatience just to get on with it and turn. I first came to Morrissey in '88/'89 as the media halo was dulling. I became obsessed with art that allcomers were saying was worthless - 'Listen to the new Kingmaker single instead'!, etc. So I feel perfectly at home with the general loathing that currently abounds.
I wonder when Justice Tug-on-that (to be played by Peter Butterworth at full pelt in the motion picture) is due to dispense his wisdom...

The piece from 'The Guardian' website is printed as a full-page-3 stunner in todays paper ~ "The slight that never goes out?"
It's all subjective of course, but having just read yesterdays insufferably smug and cosy 'Guardian Interview' with Jarvis Cocker ("the heir to Alan Bennet"...apparently), this report of Morrissey possibly letting loose his legal eagles on the NME was strangely thrilling. For all Cocker's talk of being this awkward outsider artist, he's actually snugly adored by the mainstream and indie media alike.
Morrissey is the same awkward bugger now as he was in '83. Some may not like the myriad forms in which that 'awkwardness' manifests itself, but if he wasn't like that we wouldn't be getting the art he produces. I may not want to go for a pint with him. I don't need to. I have friends for that purpose. What I need from artists is not 'great bloke' but 'great art'. Shunned by Mail and Guardian alike, NME, BBC, EDL and LMHR, he still cannot truly find a place. He's never going to slip in to the revered elder statesman figure of yer Weller, Cave, Costello et al. And it's not just a question of the work. There's something more.
Amidst the 2004 euphoria of the 'Quarry' comeback I always had a queasy sensation that this will turn again, and the queasiness came, I think, from an impatience just to get on with it and turn. I first came to Morrissey in '88/'89 as the media halo was dulling. I became obsessed with art that allcomers were saying was worthless - 'Listen to the new Kingmaker single instead'!, etc. So I feel perfectly at home with the general loathing that currently abounds.
I wonder when Justice Tug-on-that (to be played by Peter Butterworth at full pelt in the motion picture) is due to dispense his wisdom...

I read the Jarvis interview and thought oh isn't he a treasure. But he's not a patch on Morrissey.

And then I saw him on a Eurostar advert on the telly in conjunction with London 2012 .:rolleyes: "What about bagpipes?" indeed, tosser

Latest from the courts:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2011/oct/18/morrissey-nme-libel-case-jury?newsfeed=true

Mr Justice Tugendhat is expected to decide within weeks whether the former Smiths frontman should be set a high court date for his long and bitter battle against NME over the article, first published four years ago.

Lawyers for the singer told the court on Tuesday that he is willing to be cross-examined as a witness if the trial goes ahead. Morrissey is suing Conor McNicholas, the then-editor of NME, and the magazine's publisher, IPC Media, for libel.

If given the green light by Tugendhat, the trial would be the first UK libel case to be heard before a jury for more than two years. The most recent libel trial by jury in the UK was in 2009, when media baron Richard Desmond lost a case against the author Tom Bower.

Once again, Morrissey appears to have been born under a bad sign.

Normally libel and defamation cases are heavily slanted toward the plaintiff however he drew a bad hand when he got Judge Tugendhat as presiding whom appears to require proof of a 'substantial effect' of damage in addition to a supposed slight (whether real or perceived), before willing to decide in a claimants favour.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/greenslade/2010/jun/16/medialaw-telegraphmediagroup

Once again, Morrissey appears to have been born under a bad sign.

Normally libel and defamation cases are heavily slanted toward the plaintiff however he drew a bad hand when he got Judge Tugendhat as presiding whom appears to require proof of a 'substantial effect' of damage in addition to a supposed slight (whether real or perceived), before willing to decide in a claimants favour.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/greenslade/2010/jun/16/medialaw-telegraphmediagroup

I suspect it won't "go to trial." I'm not sure how you say it there. If Morrissey is thirsty for justice to be served, it won't be with this bozo, it'll be different.

What financial issues are they speaking of?

That seems to me more like a cheap shot than an actual statement of fact. That said, it is very expensive to bring a case to trial and considering that Morrissey seems to be the breadwinner for his family and likely supports several households he is probably very careful with his money with good reason.

Re: Morrissey to sue himself...

Stupid. :squiffy: Newsthump writers need to take tips from the onion.

Re: Morrissey to sue himself...

The Morrissey piece is pants -- the Stone Roses one is much funnier. "'Made of Bits of Gristle and Tracksuit". Hah!

I could do without the queasiness, and I wish he could have both. The judge makes the decision this week while a case, if allowed, won't be heard till the summer, is that right? Torture, though it should at least mean that the American tour can go ahead. Oscar Wilde better be on his side, aiding from experience beyond the grave!

I read all of this before I got to England, and upon arrival, realized what Moz said is just true.
The British national identity is disappearing, any Brit who is remotely proud of being English or British, for that matter, is automatically tagged
racist, or worse. In no other country in the world would a given nation be shamed into suppressing it's own national identity.
People here cannot distinguish between NATIONALISM and RACISM....they are NOT the same thing.
The fact is, Britain has been reverse colonized. And the middle class, deeply ashamed of the empire's achievements over time, are the ones
largely responsible for it. Though their motives were probably more along the lines of undermining the British working class than promoting any of the
poor previously colonized people.
This country has some serious problems, and unfortunately, the PC brigade have it wedged into a corner, so there is not much that can actually be
done about it. I think of all the people who fought and gave their lives for a free Britain, they must be rolling in their graves that a person can
be jailed or lose their livelihood over something they said!

I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. --Voltaire

when morissey said Chinese people as a "subspecies" I think is about idiosyncrasy and it not is about race , news like this i wonder are humans
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vxe2LHhbh8
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlin...ice-by-hit-and-run-drivers-dozens-ignore-her/

He just got the wording wrong, had he said "sub-culture" that would have been perfectly valid cultural criticism. That he used "subspecies" suggested something evil is coded into their DNA which is silly.

I read all of this before I got to England, and upon arrival, realized what Moz said is just true.
The British national identity is disappearing, any Brit who is remotely proud of being English or British, for that matter, is automatically tagged
racist, or worse. In no other country in the world would a given nation be shamed into suppressing it's own national identity.
People here cannot distinguish between NATIONALISM and RACISM....they are NOT the same thing.
The fact is, Britain has been reverse colonized. And the middle class, deeply ashamed of the empire's achievements over time, are the ones
largely responsible for it. Though their motives were probably more along the lines of undermining the British working class than promoting any of the
poor previously colonized people.
This country has some serious problems, and unfortunately, the PC brigade have it wedged into a corner, so there is not much that can actually be
done about it. I think of all the people who fought and gave their lives for a free Britain, they must be rolling in their graves that a person can
be jailed or lose their livelihood over something they said!

I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. --Voltaire

What is your definition of British culture and national identity? Genuinely interested.

The part of Britain that is supposedly losing its national identity is England. I think you'll find Scottish and Welsh people can display their patriotism/ nationalism without any accusations of racism.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom