Morrissey NME libel case latest

I read all of this before I got to England, and upon arrival, realized what Moz said is just true.
The British national identity is disappearing, any Brit who is remotely proud of being English or British, for that matter, is automatically tagged
racist, or worse. In no other country in the world would a given nation be shamed into suppressing it's own national identity.
People here cannot distinguish between NATIONALISM and RACISM....they are NOT the same thing.
The fact is, Britain has been reverse colonized. And the middle class, deeply ashamed of the empire's achievements over time, are the ones
largely responsible for it. Though their motives were probably more along the lines of undermining the British working class than promoting any of the
poor previously colonized people.
This country has some serious problems, and unfortunately, the PC brigade have it wedged into a corner, so there is not much that can actually be
done about it. I think of all the people who fought and gave their lives for a free Britain, they must be rolling in their graves that a person can
be jailed or lose their livelihood over something they said!

I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. --Voltaire
I have a few problems with your post.
Perhaps you could help me?
"The British national identity is disappearing" How do you know? What is this identity you speak of? Maybe it's just changing and you don't like it.

"People here cannot distinguish between NATIONALISM and RACISM" What people are these? Surely the truth is that some people make the distinction and some don't.

"The fact is, Britain has been reverse colonized" Who by? Immigrants make up a minute proportion of our population.

"...the middle class, deeply ashamed of the empire's achievements over time, are the ones largely responsible for it. Though their motives were probably more along the lines of undermining the British working class than promoting any of the poor previously colonized people" This quite a burden for us middle classes to carry. And to talk in terms of class when the definitions are now so blurred appears to me as rather imprecise.

"the PC brigade have it wedged into a corner" Who are the PC brigade? Are you sure they exist? Everyone moans about them but no one appears to be a member.
"..that a person can be jailed or lose their livelihood over something they said!" Could you name anyone jailed in this country for what they have said for me?

"..that a person can be jailed or lose their livelihood over something they said!" Could you name anyone jailed in this country for what they have said for me?

Imagine how much grave-rolling those brave English freedom fighters will be doing when they hear about people being imprisoned or shot dead because of the color of their skin.

¿DNA ? Chinese are promoting femicide . one specie Without Women or with contempt for women , without fear to say " subespecie"
http://www.change.org/petitions/fem...-systematic-extermination-of-an-entire-gender

It doesn't matter what your criticism is it still fits "cultural criticism", rather than being an implicit genetic defect in Chinese people.

Their species is human as with you. Now if you want to call humans a "subspecies" that would be valid and may well have some merit as we hit seven billion, prompt runaway climate change, cause other species to go extinct at such a rate it needs it's own classification of geological era and render the biosphere increasingly uninhabitable...

Imagine how much grave-rolling those brave English freedom fighters will be doing when they hear about people being imprisoned or shot dead because of the color of their skin.
Sorry Worm, I'm not clear about what you mean here.

Morrissey given go-ahead to sue NME

Sky news are reporting that Morrissey has been given go-ahead to sue NME for libel over an article about his views on immigration.

Latest from the courts (according to 5Live)

MORRISSEY can pursue his claim

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2011/oct/26/morrissey-libel-battle-nme-jury

Tugendhat said Morrissey's explanation of why it had taken four years to bring the claim to court was "credible".

Morrissey described in a witness statement how he had been left financially crippled by an acrimonious fallout with his manager, Merck Mercuriadis, in May 2008 which left the singer owing money to both creditors and debtors.

Tugendhat described the "imputation" from the NME magazine articles as a "very serious one". He added that the four-year delay, between publication of the interview and the eventual trial, was not so great as to prejudice a fair trial.

McNicholas said in his witness statement that he was "very concerned" about the prospect of having to recall editorial judgments made in 2008.

Tugendhat said the case was one that might be "susceptible to resolution" before it reaches a jury trial, but it remains to be seen whether Morrissey will now wait for his day in court. The high court trial is expected to begin in mid 2012.

Excellent news.

And even if Morrissey loses, it could be worth it (maybe he feels the same way) because it'll make the NME people squirm in court and feel very uncomfortable indeed.

Not all Morrissey says and does is defensible, but that NME article was a total set-up, and both the journalist and the editor come across as complete fools and utterly opportunistic.

"McNicholas said in his witness statement that he was "very concerned" about the prospect of having to recall editorial judgments made in 2008."

ie ~ "I was coked out of my gourd....m'lud" :o

I was wrong. :o

Morrissey described in a witness statement how he had been left financially crippled by an acrimonious fallout with his manager, Merck Mercuriadis, in May 2008 which left the singer owing money to both creditors and debtors.

Now, this I would like to hear more about. What exactly happened between them? I know that Moz blamed Merck/Sanctuary for the lack of publicity given to the singles from ROTT and their subsequent chart failure (as evidenced by that vile leaked email), but what's all this about him being "financially crippled"? I find it hard to believe that a multi-millionaire could be financially crippled by anything, and why would he owe debtors?

Last edited:
Now, this I would like to hear more about. What exactly happened between them? I know that Moz blamed Merck/Sanctuary for the lack of publicity given to the singles from ROTT and their subsequent chart failure (as evidenced by that vile leaked email), but what's all this about him being "financially crippled"? I find it hard to believe that a multi-millionaire could be financially crippled by anything, and why would he owe debtors?

Something to do with the Hollywood Bowl DVD, quite possibly? And his Smiths royalties going to Mike Joyce?

There's been rumours amongst road crews that Morrissey is far from 'rock star' wealthy, hence the constant touring. Sounds like there could be an element of truth in it.

If his finances really have been in the tank since 2008, his refusal of the multi-million dollar offer to play with Johnny as "The Smiths" is even more impressive. But that could just as suddenly turn into the opposite: if he does cave in and play with Johnny it will look even more like a broke musician making a pathetic cash-grab.

Stay strong! Don't take the easy payday, Morrissey! :rolleyes:

I think that when you choose to put the pedal to the floor in litigation is your own choice. There is a reason there is a statute of limitations in place and the range of it varies based on what it is.

It is a joke to question his motivation to sue based on the fact that a few years have passed.

I'm glad he's going to get a chance to be heard.

It will be interesting what gets revealed out of all this. I'd love to see a transcript of the actual interview. I'm sure the court will hear the tape but I don't think that the British courts release much publicly as was seen in the Mike Joyce case where details were limited and transcripts were not made available.

Something to do with the Hollywood Bowl DVD, quite possibly? And his Smiths royalties going to Mike Joyce?

There's been rumours amongst road crews that Morrissey is far from 'rock star' wealthy, hence the constant touring. Sounds like there could be an element of truth in it.

But his Smiths royalties have been going to Joyce for years, well before 2008 - it can't be that, can it? I don't think Moz has insane wealth in the proportions of most rock stars, but he stills wears £500 shirts, £2,000 watches, dresses head to toe in designer clothes and stays in 5* hotels whenever he's travelling. Hardly seems to be struggling.

Back
Top Bottom