Morrissey NME libel case from 2007 hearing - decision for a trial expected "within weeks"

http://www.morrissey-solo.com/threads/118322-Morrissey-NME-libel-case-latestUpdate 7:15 AM PT:

Link posted by Bluebirds in the forums (original post):

Latest from the courts:

Morrissey's NME libel case: judge to decide on jury trial - The Guardian
Britain's most senior libel judge, Mr Justice Tugendhat, to decide if former Smiths frontman's case should be set a high court date

Excerpt:

Mr Justice Tugendhat is expected to decide within weeks whether the former Smiths frontman should be set a high court date for his long and bitter battle against NME over the article, first published four years ago.

Lawyers for the singer told the court on Tuesday that he is willing to be cross-examined as a witness if the trial goes ahead. Morrissey is suing Conor McNicholas, the then-editor of NME, and the magazine's publisher, IPC Media, for libel.

If given the green light by Tugendhat, the trial would be the first UK libel case to be heard before a jury for more than two years. The most recent libel trial by jury in the UK was in 2009, when media baron Richard Desmond lost a case against the author Tom Bower.

Forum thread posted by Uncleskinny:

From a recent Twitter source comes this...

Morrissey's Libel Case Against NME Should Be Thrown Out, Court Told - Huffington Post UK
Singer Morrissey's libel case over an article about his attitude to immigration should be thrown out as it was "not a genuine bid for vindication", a judge has heard.

Also posted in the forum thread by goinghome:

Morrissey libel claim 'not genuine' - Irish Times

And also posted by Bluebirds, a detailed article in The Guardian:

Morrissey takes 'racism' battle to court - The Guardian
NME interview in 2007 quoted former Smiths frontman complaining of an 'immigration explosion' in Britain

Excerpt:

Britain's most senior libel judge, Mr Justice Tugendhat, is expected to decide on Tuesday whether the claim should go to trial. Morrissey could testify in court alongside his former manager, Merck Mercuriadis, as well as McNicholas, Krissi Murison-Hodge, formerly the deputy editor, and Tim Jonze, the interviewer and now editor of guardian.co.uk/music.

If the claim goes to trial, more than 250 emails between the NME and Morrissey's manager, as well as a full transcript of the interview, would be used as evidence.

Last edited by a moderator:
"a recent Twitter source"?!?

Yes Uncleskinny, you're this site's answer to Julian Assange. Good work getting that scoop.

Re: Article: Morrissey NME libel case from 2007 hearing - decision for a trial expect

I would strongly advise the NME’s attorneys to consider a quiet settlement without going to trial. The NME did in fact libel and slander Morrissey and most importantly did cause irreparable damages to Morrissey’s reputation and career and I can prove this. I am not going to confirm nor deny any tape recordings I may or may not have in my possession regarding this personal vendetta against Morrissey initiated by the NME at this time. I will tell you this much it will blow the NME’s personal vendetta out of the water. If the NME wants to protect whatever little integrity they have left (if they have any left, I’m not so sure) they shall negotiate settlement offers ASAP to Morrissey and his attorneys effective immediately.

I will protect Morrissey’s best interest if it’s the last thing I ever do.

Thank You and Good Night

Regards,
Kate2828

Re: Article: Morrissey NME libel case from 2007 hearing - decision for a trial expect

Morrissey’s case against the NME should not and I repeat should not be thrown out as usually this happens when there are no witnesses. However there ARE witnesses in this case that will provide evidence that the NME devised and orchestrated both willfully and intentionally a personal vendetta against Morrissey to sabotage his career and reputation. Even if Morrissey does not have witnesses which he does, the judge is still able to rule in favor of Morrissey legally. Therefore a motion of dismissal should be denied effective immediately.

Regards,
Kate2828

I would strongly advise the NME’s attorneys to consider a quiet settlement without going to trial. The NME did in fact libel and slander Morrissey and most importantly did cause irreparable damages to Morrissey’s reputation and career and I can prove this. I am not going to confirm nor deny any tape recordings I may or may not have in my possession regarding this personal vendetta against Morrissey initiated by the NME at this time. I will tell you this much it will blow the NME’s personal vendetta out of the water. If the NME wants to protect whatever little integrity they have left (if they have any left, I’m not so sure) they shall negotiate settlement offers ASAP to Morrissey and his attorneys effective immediately.

Thank You and Good Night

Regards,
Kate2828

''did cause irreparable damages to Morrissey’s reputation and career''

Yes, his last album bombed, gig venues empty across the land wherever he played, he walked down Deansgate in Manchester and someone thought he was Shane Ward........ Smiths & Morrissey nights across the world closing down one by one as no one wants to go anymore......

San Diego Plan Calling, San Diego Plan Calling. La Raza, ms13,chico & maria plan to kill all White people in California,16 and over. This crap is what we deal with here. So what if White people want to separate from a continual problem?!! You love trash? YOU pay for the trash. Come Armegedeon Come..... Do It Now!

Thank You and Good Night

Regards,
Kate2828

Seriously now. f*** off and get a life you f***ing sad retard.

Seriously now. f*** off and get a life you f***ing sad retard.

Go sniff your anus little child. Your obnoxious stench might hopefully knock you out.

Regards f***tard,
Kate2828

troll

We stay away from courts, because they don't call it the, "jewdicial-system", for nothing! More free speech violations on the way. So get your coffee, your bong, and strap yourself in. Come on Morrissey, just day something, anything and watch the fools cry!

"I Have Nothing To Say".....case closed, cause there never as one!

troll

Go sniff your anus little child. Your obnoxious stench might hopefully knock you out.

Regards f***tard,
Kate2828

You are a f*****t and you are unattractive. Satanist, what do you say this shit for. Don’t sign my name to any of your juvenile posts, you ex-heroin addict. You disgust me.

Regards,
Kate2828

Transgendered sluts have made a mockery of a serious subject. Davidt send me my password. This is my last and final request. Davidt won’t send me my password. I emailed him months and months ago and he refused and now you heroin addicts don’t know which end is which and are signing my name to these messages.
Now I recall why I stopped coming here.

Regards,
Kate2828

Have to say, I did have a bit of a chuckle at the Daily Mash's offering today in relation to all this:

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/celebrity/morrissey-to-sue-himself-201110184435/

Hope our hero has a sense of humour about this, if you can't laugh at yourself, what can you do?

Yes, very droll, except that it does prove what Morrissey's fighting against, a persistant widespread damaging interpretation of his comments instigated by and large by the NME as far back as Madstock, the active vindictiveness subsequently confirmed publicly by magazine insiders over and over, and out for his blood ever since e.g. http://www.morrissey-solo.com/threads/80947-David-Quantick-on-Morrissey?highlight=david+quantick , http://www.morrissey-solo.com/threa...o-piss-Morrissey-off?highlight=david+quantick

This is serious. Would a petition help? Or the same old SOS?...

The NME was out to get Morrissey, it's true, and he made a few statements that anyone would realize had implications. I don't remember him ever denying a specific quote. As I recall his charges that his words were misrepresented never stated exactly how. Sad fact is he is a veteran and it's hard to think he didn't know what he was doing.

If Moz goes to court and becomes victorious, maybe he can win enough money to afford a better guitarist than Jesse Tobias.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom