Morrissey Central "MORRISSEY NEW ALBUM" (May 30, 2021)

Morrissey's new album, BONFIRE OF TEENAGERS, has been completed in Los Angeles.

"The worst year of my life concludes with the best album of my life." - Morrissey.

The eleven tracks are:

1 I AM VERONICA
2 REBELS WITHOUT APPLAUSE
3 KEROUAC'S CRACK
4 HA HA HARLEM
5 I LIVE IN OBLIVION

6 BONFIRE OF TEENAGERS
7 MY FUNERAL
8 DIANA DORS
9 I EX-LOVE YOU
10 SURE ENOUGH, THE TELEPHONE RINGS
11 SAINT IN A STAINED-GLASS WINDOW

Morrissey is unsigned. The album is available to the highest (or lowest)
bidder.

unnamed_xrljaa.jpg

artwork by Liam Lynch
photograph by Jean Messenger

Morrissey's 5 nights at Caesar's Palace in Las Vegas start on August 28, and there are no anti-social distancing or facial concealment rules in place.

Regards,
FWD.

Related items:
Media items:

I don't think that was Morrissey's intention but that's what people thought at the time, wasn't it? To the extent that he had to apologise to Ann West and went to visit her. I'm reserving judgement as well but "Bonfire of Teenagers" is a really crass title and it's not unreasonable to think it will stoke some controversy. Moz has been around long enough to realise that.
Yes, agree. Given his comments (and very clear personal anger due it being his home town, his birthday, his line of work etc) about the Manchester bombing, we can only assume that the song will be open to the charge of being "anti-Islamic" - which, given everything else that's swirled around Morrissey in recent years, would be enough to make most record companies think..."we don't need that, thanks".

I'm not saying he shouldn't write songs like that, just that he shouldn't expect labels to leave themselves open to any controversy on such topics given how easy it is to unleash a social media storm these days.

Yes, agree. Given his comments (and very clear personal anger due it being his home town, his birthday, his line of work etc) about the Manchester bombing, we can only assume that the song will be open to the charge of being "anti-Islamic" - which, given everything else that's swirled around Morrissey in recent years, would be enough to make most record companies think..."we don't need that, thanks".

I'm not saying he shouldn't write songs like that, just that he shouldn't expect labels to leave themselves open to any controversy on such topics given how easy it is to unleash a social media storm these days.

They're not worried about social media storms as such - BMG didn't respond at all.

It's media storms upsetting Morrissey to the point he goes to ground that's the issue. In the 80s he would keep doing press, would win people over, sales would be ok. Now he's confined to his own website & his own gigs.

Wow - time moves fast. Just realised that it will be an entire year this month since we were first told about this album's existence, and there's still no hint of a label/release date. Fingers crossed we get some kind of news soon. :squiffy:

Wow - time moves fast. Just realised that it will be an entire year this month since we were first told about this album's existence, and there's still no hint of a label/release date. Fingers crossed we get some kind of news soon. :squiffy:
That would be great... but at least we might get some new songs debuted at the upcoming shows. That would feel like a minor victory at this point.

If he's already been working with Alain on new songs, then it could be the case that by the time 'Bonfire' comes out, the next LP is already recorded and in the bag too. Who knows - maybe he'll have more luck shopping two complete albums to labels than one?

Yes, whatever the pros and cons of the song, I'd also advise against naming the album after it. It smacks a little of sensationalism and from what we know about the songs (other than the title track), they've got nothing to do with the bombing.

Last edited:
Yes, whatever the pros and cons of the song, I'd also advise against naming the album after it. It smacks a little of sensationalism and from what we know about the songs (other than the title track), they've got nothing to do with the bombing.

YOU ADVISE against it ⁉️
the whatever the pros of cons of a song you havent heard and from what WE know from the other songs that you havent heard :crazy:

WE will take your advice into consideration🗑️

:hammer:

Like Meat is Murder?

Like Meat is Murder?
Kind of I suppose although the Meat is Murder album does have a bit of an anti-violence theme running through it (with other songs such as Barbarism and the Headmaster's Ritual) so the album title does make sense in a way. Perhaps Bonfire will, too, if/when we finally hear it!

Kind of I suppose although the Meat is Murder album does have a bit of an anti-violence theme running through it (with other songs such as Barbarism and the Headmaster's Ritual) so the album title does make sense in a way. Perhaps Bonfire will, too, if/when we finally hear it!
While MIM could definitely be considered a controversial title... The Smiths weren't trying to get signed to a record label at the time (and things were not nearly as sensitive as they are now). So yes on one hand a title like BOT is just Morrissey being Morrissey, however, it doesn't look like record label(s) want to take the journey with him. I'd also guess the reluctance is coming from more than just this album title.

Last edited:

They all (I would think) have a Moz-theme
running through each. It is his art, filled with his concerns or interests, shining a light on those subjects that concern him or he feels needs to be shown, brought attention to through the lens of art, and shouldn’t come as a surprise. I remember when an interviewer asked him if the subject of November Spawned should be brought up or used as pop song material, so there are always going to be those that think pop music shouldn’t be art or used to deal with serious subjects, which is sad.

But even if the subject of Bonfire is only one song, by giving that title to the album could be his way to draw attention to that subject or tragedy, to not be forgotten.

Or he just thinks it’s a good title, how about The Queen is Dead?

Last edited:
If he's already been working with Alain on new songs, then it could be the case that by the time 'Bonfire' comes out, the next LP is already recorded and in the bag too. Who knows - maybe he'll have more luck shopping two complete albums to labels than one?
This cooperation with Alain should take place. But it is not as far as we thought, which is at least evident from the AW interview with Julie Hamill. Morrissey seems to want to hold on to his production from 20/21. After all, money was invested here. I dare to predict, that the record could possibly be released this year under a different name and with a different cover, which artistically would have to be called a defeat, since exactly one year ago the finished product was proudly shown to the masses on Central.

I think the vinyl issue is certainly going to cause more delays, but I'm not convinced a deal has been signed in secret months ago whilst they wait in the pressing plant queue. If Moz had reached that stage, some information from somewhere down the line would surely have slipped out?

I think even if a deal is announced tomorrow, we're going to have to wait another few months for the physical album to actually emerge. Maybe September/October/November, something like that? With a digital only single (presumably 'Veronica') now to get the pre-orders in.

I don't think that was Morrissey's intention but that's what people thought at the time, wasn't it? To the extent that he had to apologise to Ann West and went to visit her. I'm reserving judgement as well but "Bonfire of Teenagers" is a really crass title and it's not unreasonable to think it will stoke some controversy. Moz has been around long enough to realise that.
The title does sound like it will cause more negative coverage for him even if the song is in the vein of “Suffer Little Children”. Perhaps he should consider calling the album “Glade of Light” which is the name of the memorial in Manchester?

I think the delay is related to the fact that potentially interested record companies have to convince Morrissey to change the cover of the record, as well as the title. Very tough negotiations.

It is not a question of capacity utilization of vinyl pressing plants.

might as well move on the next album now..

Moz can afford not to release any albums to the public. He's not skint. As long as Moz, Damon and Sam enjoy listening to them at home, he should keep going and record some more.

Tags
bonfire of teenagers

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom