Morrissey Central "MORRISSEY NEW ALBUM" (May 30, 2021)

Morrissey's new album, BONFIRE OF TEENAGERS, has been completed in Los Angeles.

"The worst year of my life concludes with the best album of my life." - Morrissey.

The eleven tracks are:

1 I AM VERONICA
2 REBELS WITHOUT APPLAUSE
3 KEROUAC'S CRACK
4 HA HA HARLEM
5 I LIVE IN OBLIVION

6 BONFIRE OF TEENAGERS
7 MY FUNERAL
8 DIANA DORS
9 I EX-LOVE YOU
10 SURE ENOUGH, THE TELEPHONE RINGS
11 SAINT IN A STAINED-GLASS WINDOW

Morrissey is unsigned. The album is available to the highest (or lowest)
bidder.

unnamed_xrljaa.jpg

artwork by Liam Lynch
photograph by Jean Messenger

Morrissey's 5 nights at Caesar's Palace in Las Vegas start on August 28, and there are no anti-social distancing or facial concealment rules in place.

Regards,
FWD.

Related items:
Media items:

He can sing but we all know being able to hold a tune is the bare minimum. Discovering interesting melodies and penning equally interesting lyrics are what makes for a compelling song. No crime writing uninteresting songs but Marr offers too little of what I stated above to make me want to listen than a song here and there when I feel the urge. Fine if you enjoy his stuff but I've found personally that I listen to his stuff less and less over the last few years.
I love his new album, it’s a distillation of all the best music he’s made from glam to post-punk, electronica and soundtracks.

Not related with this post,but Bryan Adams has a new album.Tears for Fears has a new album.and Morrissey recorded the new album and there is no news about it?
I am so upset

Not related with this post,but Bryan Adams has a new album.Tears for Fears has a new album.and Morrissey recorded the new album and there is no news about it?
I am so upset
Yep, Radio 2 have been more than happy to play the new singles off the Tears for Fears and B Adams albums, which has guaranteed them album sales in the tens of thousands. But they won't touch new Morrissey songs anymore, wrongly or rightly, (after having A-listed them for over 20 years) probably because he wholeheartedly endorsed a far-right political party and also expressed support/sympathy for the likes of Farage, Le Pen, and Tommy Robinson. This has had the effect of slashing Morrissey's album sales by an unprecedented margin, to the point where he can only shift a few thousand copies. It's hard to know whether this is a permanent BBC policy or whether they might review it. It's a conversation a prospective record company would really need to have with them, as BBC support probably means the difference between 5,000 and 50,000 sales. My hunch is that Radio 2 may decide to start playing his new songs again but 6 Music probably won't.

Last edited:
'Bonfire of teenagers' is a rather interesting title. Are the teenagers creating the bonfire? Is the bonfire in honour of the teenagers? Are the teenagers in the bonfire?

It is a relief that Morrissey is still producing new material anyway. One way or another it will be released in the next few years, come what may.

I Live in Oblivion sounds like classic M, and I am infinitely intrigued by 'Kerouac's Crack'.
The Manchester Arena bombing

Yep, Radio 2 have been more than happy to play the new singles off the Tears for Fears and B Adams albums, which has guaranteed them album sales in the tens of thousands. But they won't touch new Morrissey songs anymore, wrongly or rightly, (after having A-listed them for over 20 years) probably because he wholeheartedly endorsed a far-right political party and also expressed support/sympathy for the likes of Farage, Le Pen, and Tommy Robinson. This has had the effect of slashing Morrissey's album sales by an unprecedented margin, to the point where he can only shift a few thousand copies. It's hard to know whether this is a permanent BBC policy or whether they might review it. It's a conversation a prospective record company would really need to have with them, as BBC support probably means the difference between 5,000 and 50,000 sales. My hunch is that Radio 2 may decide to start playing his new songs again but 6 Music probably won't.

You really are determined to keep smearing him.

He'll be back on the lists when he has a plugger.

Recent music has been played on both stations without him doing anything at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
You really are determined to keep smearing him.

He'll be back on the lists when he has a plugger.

Recent music has been played on both stations without him doing anything at all.

The last time he got any decent airplay was Spent the day in bed which is now 5 years ago. Looked at the 6 Radio Charts and there's Moz' old partner on the A List:

18th - 26th April 2022​

(This page will update with details of next week's playlist on 27th April)

New additions in bold​

A LIST​

beabadoobee - Talk
Chronixx - Never Give Up
Ezra Collective - May The Funk Be With You
Floating Points - Vocoder
Fontaines D.C. - Skinty Fia
Gwenno - An Stevel Nowydh
Ibibio Sound Machine - 17 18 19
Jack White Ft. Q-Tip - Hi-De-Ho
Johnny Marr - Ghoster
Kae Tempest Feat. Lianne La Havas - No Prizes
Self Esteem - You Forever
Wet Leg - Tracks From Wet Leg

The last time he got any decent airplay was Spent the day in bed which is now 5 years ago. Looked at the 6 Radio Charts and there's Moz' old partner on the A List:

18th - 26th April 2022​

New additions in bold​

A LIST​

beabadoobee - Talk
Chronixx - Never Give Up
Johnny Marr - Ghoster

That's what lists & plugger in my post meant.

I don't know what Johnny Marr who has a very active plugger & pr has to do with this.

-

18th - 26th April 2022​

New additions in bold​

A LIST​

beabadoobee - Talk
Chronixx - Never Give Up
Johnny Marr - Ghoster
Moderators are moving posts around which is fair enough - I'm just responding to comments in threads, not making new unrelated ones. But do move this if needed.
Anyway, in response to the above. Yes, Marr is back on the 6 Music A-list. I heard this song this morning and thought it was actually pretty good unlike the last one (Night and Day?) which was awful.
But there's a misunderstanding here. Radio pluggers don't get legacy/heritage acts onto radio station playlists. Their work is for new acts.
Radio stations have weekly playlist meetings and they decide what to play in those if a) they like the song and b) the artist at least loosely reflects the spirit of the station.
Unfortunately, wrongly or rightly (and I would still say wrongly) Morrissey is now perceived as being a right-wing, bigoted 'gammon' - the last kind of act that a forward-thinking station like 6 Music would want to be associated with, hence they won't play his new stuff anymore even though some of it is brilliant (e.g., Bobby Don't You Think and Knockabout World). Marr is seen as quite the opposite, very much reflecting the station's values, and therefore all his new stuff gets played even though a lot of it (in my humble opinion) is pretty rubbish. But it's nothing to do with pluggers - it's all about the act themselves. The idea that the reason new Marr songs gets played but new Morrissey songs don't is due to the effectiveness of a plugger is yet more absolute nonsense.

-

Moderators are moving posts around which is fair enough - I'm just responding to comments in threads, not making new unrelated ones. But do move this if needed.
Anyway, in response to the above. Yes, Marr is back on the 6 Music A-list. I heard this song this morning and thought it was actually pretty good unlike the last one (Night and Day?) which was awful.
But there's a misunderstanding here. Radio pluggers don't get legacy/heritage acts onto radio station playlists. Their work is for new acts.
Radio stations have weekly playlist meetings and they decide what to play in those if a) they like the song and b) the artist at least loosely reflects the spirit of the station.
Unfortunately, wrongly or rightly (and I would still say wrongly) Morrissey is now perceived as being a right-wing, bigoted 'gammon' - the last kind of act that a forward-thinking station like 6 Music would want to be associated with, hence they won't play his new stuff anymore even though some of it is brilliant (e.g., Bobby Don't You Think and Knockabout World). Marr is seen as quite the opposite, very much reflecting the station's values, and therefore all his new stuff gets played even though a lot of it (in my humble opinion) is pretty rubbish. But it's nothing to do with pluggers - it's all about the act themselves. The idea that the reason new Marr songs gets played but new Morrissey songs don't is due to the effectiveness of a plugger is yet more absolute nonsense.

Everyone has a plugger - admin doesn't magically disappear because someone has been famous for a million years.

The segue in to radio discussion (despite several Marr threads available to add to rather than helping bump a near year old album thread) is closer to the topic than blatant political o/t discussion that wasn't related at all to the OP.
Some consideration would be nice for people 'watching' the thread for actual album information - only to be getting notifications about (yet more) blatantly o/t "discussion" re: For Britain etc.
Ergo certain posts were moved and authors notified.
FWD.

Absolutely right, FWD.

Let's get this thread back on track.

So, Morrissey, Donnie is telling me you have a new album?
Called "The Curious Incident of the Dog"?
It's about special, unemployable people like Donnie, I hear?
Lovely.

The new album will come in a few vinyl colours, no doubt, which will get slated here, though I note the new Chilli Peppers album came in about 30 colours

Does Morrissey's album title "Bonfire of Teenagers" exploit victims of the Manchester Arena Bombing?

This album title paints a gruesome picture of how some of the young victims of the Manchester Arena Bombing died. I think it's one of the reasons Morrissey is not getting signed by a label. Should he change it? Is it keeping his music from being heard?

Does Morrissey's album title "Bonfire of Teenagers" exploit victims of the Manchester Arena Bombing?

This album title paints a gruesome picture of how some of the young victims of the Manchester Arena Bombing died. I think it's one of the reasons Morrissey is not getting signed by a label. Should he change it? Is it keeping his music from being heard?
Do you think 'Suffer Little Children' exploits the victims of the Moors Murders? Does every song written about a tragedy or heinous act expolit the victims it's written about? In my book, no, but of course it matters what perspective it's written from and the language used. Serious things deserve to be written about seriously, the album title paints a gruesome picture of how the young victims died because they died gruesome deaths. Seems appropriate to me, I mean, why sugarcoat it? But i'll reserve judgement until I've actually heard the song.

Do you think 'Suffer Little Children' exploits the victims of the Moors Murders? Does every song written about a tragedy or heinous act expolit the victims it's written about? In my book, no, but of course it matters what perspective it's written from and the language used. Serious things deserve to be written about seriously, the album title paints a gruesome picture of how the young victims died because they died gruesome deaths. Seems appropriate to me, I mean, why sugarcoat it? But i'll reserve judgement until I've actually heard the song.
I don't think that was Morrissey's intention but that's what people thought at the time, wasn't it? To the extent that he had to apologise to Ann West and went to visit her. I'm reserving judgement as well but "Bonfire of Teenagers" is a really crass title and it's not unreasonable to think it will stoke some controversy. Moz has been around long enough to realise that.

Tags
bonfire of teenagers

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom