Morrissey mention in Beastie Boys Book

Shoplifterromo writes:

Were the Beastie Boys fans of Morrissey?

In page 391 of the recently released Beastie Boys autobiography, member Adam Horovitz recalls hoping Morrissey could join them on the Lollapalooza tour, even saying it would’ve been "awesome." Sadly, it never happened.

47267_beastie_boys_excerpt.jpg

47265_beastie_boys_book.jpg

Beastie Boys Book on Amazon.com

That’s a good bio. They’re also doing a sort of retrospective show about the bio which includes some q and a along with videos

These guys need to check their heads if they thought Morrissey would agree to that.

The quote with a bit more of the text:

"After a while of going back and forth, Perry sits up and says loudly, “Who sucks dick?!”
Wait…what?
“Who at this table sucks dick?”
None of us really knew how to properly respond. Then we realized that the point he was making was that all the bands we were suggesting were super straight bands for straight people (a broad generalization, but…). He was looking out for gay kids who didn’t want the usual rock music. Ultimately the lineup did not reflect what he had in mind. (I’m not sure what exactly he had in mind. I feel like he might’ve said Morrissey, and we all said that that’d be awesome to tour with Morrissey. Or did he want Bette Midler? Again…would’ve been f***ing amazing.) (AH)
Anyway, the lineup ended up being us, Smashing Pumpkins, Funkadelic, the Breeders, A Tribe Called Quest, Nick Cave, L7, Green Day, and Boredoms on the main stage, with numerous other bands, like the Pharcyde, the Verve, the Flaming Lips, and Luscious Jackson, on the other stages. It was a full-on traveling circus. Because we’d gotten a say, Billy Pumpkin had gotten a say, and Perry had gotten a say, there was all manner of different shit going on simultaneously at any given time."

Regards,
FWD.

"After a while of going back and forth, Perry sits up and says loudly, “Who sucks dick?!”
Wait…what?
None of us really knew how to properly respond. Then we realized that the point he was making was that all the bands we were suggesting were super straight bands for straight people (a broad generalization, but…). He was looking out for gay kids who didn’t want the usual rock music. Ultimately the lineup did not reflect what he had in mind. (I’m not sure what exactly he had in mind. I feel like he might’ve said Morrissey, and we all said that that’d be awesome to tour with Morrissey. Or did he want Bette Midler? Again…would’ve been f***ing amazing.) (AH)
Anyway, the lineup ended up being us, Smashing Pumpkins, Funkadelic, the Breeders, A Tribe Called Quest, Nick Cave, L7, Green Day, and Boredoms on the main stage, with numerous other bands, like the Pharcyde, the Verve, the Flaming Lips, and Luscious Jackson, on the other stages. It was a full-on traveling circus. Because we’d gotten a say, Billy Pumpkin had gotten a say, and Perry had gotten a say, there was all manner of different shit going on simultaneously at any given time."

Regards,
FWD.

Thanks... the full quote in context clarifies things quite a bit. I was at the tour that year (1994) and it was a very good lineup. Not mentioned is that Smashing Pumpkins took over the headliner slot as Nirvana was scheduled but Kurt Cobain took his life a few months earlier (or was killed by Courtney Love if you believe the conspiracy theories).

Anyway, the addition of a "Vauxhall And I" era Morrissey would have been awesome (although hard to imagine him touring with a bunch of other artists for any extended duration).

Last edited:

Wait…what?

Regards,
FWD.

I just realized from the lineup list that I was at this Lollapallooza in 1994. Would've been awesome to have seen Moz. Other bands I saw were Stereolab & Shonen Knife. Nick Cave was particularly spectacular.

Morrissey was going to be one of the headliners for the 2004 edition of Lollapalooza before the plug got pulled entirely due to poor ticket sales.

https%3A%2F%2Fwww.morrissey-solo.com%2Fdata%2Fattachment-files%2F2013%2F02%2F28540_morrissey_in_rome_2.jpg

pre-gangsta Mozzarella - now he wears a lot of gold like rappers but hasn’t rapped so far - I wish he would! He’d be superrad :cool:

https%3A%2F%2Fwww.morrissey-solo.com%2Fdata%2Fattachment-files%2F2013%2F02%2F28540_morrissey_in_rome_2.jpg

pre-gangsta Mozzarella - now he wears a lot of gold like rappers but hasn’t rapped so far - I wish he would! He’d be superrad :cool:

"Superrad" ?,.....Pants down to his knees, with a wool-beanie-hat on, screamin, yelling bout wacking cops ? ...LOOK it's Morrissey on the Jerry Springer Show...singing "Jack the Rapper, mutha-f***a" !
We can split the take on that Mozzer. ..got it copy righted I did.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom