Morrissey & Marrs in Praha

marred

Another amazing concert in a fairly smaller venue but then the Czechs are slightly smaller people but with big hearts. I should know I use to be with one :D Lining up for the queue was quite stressful for me but then it always is I guess. We all kinda resemble a herd of rabbits twitching left, right and every which way in case our prized spot in the line is preyed upon. And like frightened little animals we all seem to go to the toilet a lot more than usual. I mentioned to my brother it was the calm before the storm but we were everything but calm. A slight altercation with some russians that we ran into in Berlin or more to the point they ran into us had the potential to flare up but all was good in the end.

The doors finally open and the stampede to the next closed door comes to an abrupt halt and we realize we have lost our precious places. I mean I'm a pretty hardcore fan but I stop at acting like an animal and if someone wants to push past me like a total knob end then I ain't gonna join him or her for that matter. Anyway I got to the front with my bro in tow and a very good mate of ours (his 1st Moz gig) on the left of the stage which was all the space up front we had but considering the swarm we made good.

I can watch that pre video footage all day and would happily watch more rather than a support band. The Shirley Bassey footage was swapped out for an interview with Lou Reed in Sydney of all places which was amazing!

Dull and the Kicks were um............ anyway.

Here comes Moz and we all go mad! I haven't yelled like that in a long time, well at least since Berlin :) Everyone regardless of their circumstances should go see a Morrissey gig so they can yell like that... or your substitute concert equivalent. The band was just as tight as they were in Berlin and once again Mozzer's voice shows no signs of even remotely failing. He just sounds like he's recording an album take every time I hear him now. Pitch perfect! Charming man was belted out beautifully and all neigh sayers dismissing this one as a poor man's Johnny track need to let go now! The punk riff works and Mozzer's new subtle inflections on the melody are gorgeous. Paris was a little slower this time round or was it cuz I wasn't in the middle which is the best place to be when his arms open wide as you imagine him throwing them around you?

Hopefully without sounding like a wanky journalist here being up front and seeing everyone stretch out and wait for Mozzer's hand to meet yours conjures up images of being stranded at sea and reaching out for help as a beautiful ship passes by only for that ship to keep sailing on which is why I rarely stretch my hand out. I just hate having to pull it back in without having made contact. It's silly I know but I can kinda tell the way he's singing and the song he is singing at the time whether or not he feels like touching any of us so I just patiently wait while I watch the octopus of arms reach out constantly which would have no qualms in pulling that ship down if it got a good enough grip on it.

Ok enough analogy garbage :D "You just haven't earned it yet baby" was fantastic and so good to get some new songs versus Berlin. "Please, Please let me get what I want" was beautiful and tender as it always is and Jesse's electric guitar version of Johnny's mandolin outro was stunning! He deserved the spotlight that was on him wholeheartedly.

"Life is a Pigsty" was gorgeous and gave us a much needed break from jumping up and down. The lights shone in Mozzer's face during the song and ready with ready wit sang the "Lights are a pigsty" a poet at gunpoint isn't he?

I may have had an out of body experience during "I'm ok by Myself" Holy f***ing shiiiiiit that song was incredible at Prague!!! He really mean it when he sang those words. All those tentacles started pointing back at him as we sang "and I don't need you and never have!" what a bizarre line to sing along to but somehow it made sense? I guess we are kidding ourselves though. Not that we actually need him, but it does help.

Time for the encore of "First of the Gang to Die" and I still haven't made contact but I put it out of my mind and on with the show because god knows when I'll be able to see him again?-Pretty much as soon as the song starts he begins to appease the flailing arms with plenty of hand shakes on the far right of the stage, then the middle and takes a break to sing some more and I'm still thinking c'mon man get your arse over here cuz he really didn't pay the left side where we were much attention. Then all of a sudden from nowhere after a few verses he walks straight over to my brother and I and shakes my bro's hand then he shakes my hand firmly, looks me straight in the eyes, gives me a nod and a wink for god's sakes and I with a huge grin on my face say thankyou before I let go which I'm pretty sure he heard. My bro and I proceed to jump up and down like a couple of little girls! :D:lbf: Next thing I know this little boy of about 7 years old seems to rise up out of the crowd just next to me stretches out his hand and Moz's big hand shakes the little boy's hand. That kid doesn't know how lucky he is :) I find out later that it was our good friend at his first Moz gig that picked up the boy so he could touch Moz! What a champion!!! What a gig! What a man!

After the gig the 3 of us hooked up with a few Americans from milwaukee Jerry, Tom and Victoria (hope I got your names right?) We had dinner and conversed all things Moz of course then went and drank some Absinthe in the town square near that amazing statue. Also was great to see Merduza Perduza from M - solo who was so nice and also was kind enough to change my Euros so I could buy a signed copy of YOR1 So tyvm Tim for that again and the offer for the lift. A bit extravagant to buy the album again I know but at least it was the version with the nice canvas texture on it which I didn't get when I bought it from Amazon, oh yes and it had a signature on it too :thumb:

Yes that was a lot of words but I had a lot of fun so that's the way it goes!

I'll add a few pics just for the record in a little while when I sort 'em out.

Last edited:
Thank you, Marred! I enjoyed every word. I especially love your description of the pre-show queue:

"We all kinda resemble a herd of rabbits twitching left, right and every which way in case our prized spot in the line is preyed upon." :thumb:

And also "He just sounds like he's recording an album take every time I hear him now. Pitch perfect!"
I agree, just from hearing the scratchy YouTube clips. His voice is amazing.

It sounds like you and your brother had a beautiful night :guitar:

Hopefully without sounding like a wanky journalist here being up front and seeing everyone stretch out and wait for Mozzer's hand to meet yours conjures up images of being stranded at sea and reaching out for help as a beautiful ship passes by only for that ship to keep sailing on which is why I rarely stretch my hand out. I just hate having to pull it back in without having made contact. It's silly I know but I can kinda tell the way he's singing and the song he is singing at the time whether or not he feels like touching any of us so I just patiently wait while I watch the octopus of arms reach out constantly which would have no qualms in pulling that ship down if it got a good enough grip on it.

This is exactly how I feel Marred. I think if I don't try then I won't be dissapointed when I don't get that handshake. I'm still waiting but so glad that you got yours after coming so far. Great story :guitar:

Hey thx a lot guys for the nice words. Glad you got a buzz out of it. I mean that's part of the main reason I write this stuff it's awesome to get feedback Here are some pics of the night!

Some professional shots

moz1-1.jpg
moz2-1.jpg
moz3-1.jpg
moz4-1.jpg

and some by my friend

IMG_0200.jpg
IMG_0203.jpg

IMG_0205.jpg

I'm pretty sure this was the one time I reached out and got nowt.

IMG_0209.jpg

Tags
tl;dr
Back
Top Bottom